Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey Strange-Heads! Stranger Things season 4 is coming this Friday!

Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZQMpp4BdU

This season is supposed to go more into the Upside Down and has some kind of lich guy as the main antagonist? I will be honest, I have not been paying much attention because it's been like 3 years since the previous season and I've long stopped being the kind of person who reads as many spoilers and speculative articles as possible before something comes out so I'm kinda excited to see what ends up happening?

Here's another trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQEondeGvKo

Netflix is doing that thing where they release most of the show in "part 1" and then a month later they release "part 2" so you have to pay them twice. The first five episodes will be out on Friday 27 May. The remaining four will come out Friday 1 July.

Here's the last trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVsJXiI60a0

And finally I'm excited to see the return of the king, my man Steve Harrington

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

not an empty quote

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Hell, I don't even know if I'm gonna watch this season, but maybe? Maybe I'll let this thread be my guide. Got a lot of digging up to do from S3 imo.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I can't wait to see how they explain why everyone appears 3-4 years older than they are in the context of the story. "Well, it was a weeeeird summer at the mall I guess lol"

I'm going to watch regardless, but something about s3 felt dull to me. Then again, it's getting progressively more and more difficult to suspend disbelief with unarmed kids and one haggard adult taking down Soviet troops in a super secret hi-tech basement at the mall or whatever the gently caress was happening.

Spoiler'd in case someone isn't caught up through the last season.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I rather liked season 3 and I'm assuming part of the reason there's a split season is for a time skip.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Lol if you think they aren't going to digitally de-age the kids in both looks and voice like they did in the terrible nostalgia-cancer Ghostbusters Afterlife. We will never escape the 80's

Like who could possibly give a poo poo about this show, 1st season was pretty rad and should have been a one-off (without loving setups for future season stuff, goddamn), and the rest was middling to terrible.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Justin Credible posted:

Lol if you think they aren't going to digitally de-age the kids in both looks and voice like they did in the terrible nostalgia-cancer Ghostbusters Afterlife. We will never escape the 80's

Like who could possibly give a poo poo about this show, 1st season was pretty rad and should have been a one-off (without loving setups for future season stuff, goddamn), and the rest was middling to terrible.

I can see why you're confused that subjective tastes differ from person to person. It's a very advanced concept.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

CainFortea posted:

I can see why you're confused that subjective tastes differ from person to person. It's a very advanced concept.

Condescending because someone clearly expressed their own opinion, I am very smart. I must defend it because my identity is tied to the things I watch and criticizing it is violence against me personally, I am very smart.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Justin Credible posted:

Condescending because someone clearly expressed their own opinion, I am very smart. I must defend it because my identity is tied to the things I watch and criticizing it is violence against me personally, I am very smart.

lol, you quite literally called out anyone who disagreed with you.

Get off the cross, we need the wood.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

CainFortea posted:

lol, you quite literally called out anyone who disagreed with you.

Get off the cross, we need the wood.

In a thread that even the OP acknowledges is probably going to be garbage with a shitpost tag, lol.

But make sure you don't explain at all what you think makes this terrible dogshit fine wine, whatever you do.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Justin Credible posted:

In a thread that even the OP acknowledges is probably going to be garbage with a shitpost tag, lol.

But make sure you don't explain at all what you think makes this terrible dogshit fine wine, whatever you do.

I don't need your permission to not do that, because I wasn't planning on it anyway. I'm not trying to convince you. I'm making fun of you for acting like some kind of superior person because of your opinions on a tv show.

Explaining jokes to stupid people really kills the enjoyment.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Sure, buddy. You lack even basic reading comprehension.

I specifically said 'who could give a poo poo' not 'who could like'. You can like something without caring enough about it to do your 'look how smart I am, you are stupid' gimmick. Pathetic.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

im not mad! im not mad!!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thread is off to a good start already.

I liked season 3, it was the one that most felt like an actual product of the 80s. I haven’t been following this one at all, but man Netflix is betting the entire farm on it, so hope it’s good I guess

Justin Credible posted:

That’s the default tag if you forget to pick something else, which I’m confident is what happened and it is probably not some statement of ownage by the OP

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 26, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I forgot to pick a tag and jokingly said in the TVIV gen chat thread that maybe its appropriate depending on how the season plays out.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thread is off to a great start and the show hasn't even started yet!

Just to be clear - no one is saying you can't criticize this, or any, show. But don't trip over yourself in a rush to post in a thread about S4 of a long running show just to say "lol this show sucks who even cares anymore" and then get pissy when someone calls you out on it

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For as big as this show is to Netflix, within the Netflix app itself there is no reference to the new season coming out at all. You’d think there would be a big loving banner about it on an account of someone that watched the previous seasons.

Same thing for Ozark. I didn’t even know the final half of the last season came out for like a week.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Justin Credible posted:

Well, so far they’re all like 14 going on 18 so not really. The Will actor looks so awkward with that haircut now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A half ounce of weed for 20 bucks? I wanna live in this town. I can live with all the monsters and stuff for that

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's like 50 bucks these days

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
These episodes and scenes are so long that pretty much every time they cut to another storyline I’m like “oh yeah, these guys exist”

It’s still really good at best and currently inoffensive at worst but it definitely feels like there’s a much stronger season buried under a mound of superfluous dialogue and music cues and such

It’s very maximalist, even more so than s3, and definitely feels as expensive as it was claimed to be. idk how I feel about the new monster yet but it’s cool that it’s mostly practical and it’s definitely a difference from the previous ones. I still like almost all of the characters, hooray

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'll watch it, but I'll probably regret it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

These episodes and scenes are so long that pretty much every time they cut to another storyline I’m like “oh yeah, these guys exist”

Yeah, this is more a response to your comment from Couch Chat, but as charming as I find the cast, the premier is really self indulgent. E.g. they really, really didn't need to open with three separate prologue passages.

The music still rocks super hard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mymla posted:

I'll watch it, but I'll probably regret it.

:same:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Holy poo poo this is going to be bloated as gently caress

May 27, first seven episodes:

Episode 1 – 1 hour, 16 minutes
Episode 2 – 1 hour, 15 minutes
Episode 3 – 1 hour, 3 minutes
Episode 4 – 1 hour, 17 minutes
Episode 5 – 1 hour, 14 minutes
Episode 6 – 1 hour, 13 minutes
Episode 7 – 1 hour 38 minutes

July 1, final two episodes:

Episode 8 – 1 hour, 25 minutes
Episode 9 – 2 hours, 30 minutes

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Why are some of you going to watch something you think you'll probably regret lmao. Plenty of other TV shows out there, you don't need to watch them all. Unless it's just cool to not like Stranger Things now and I missed the memo.

Anyway I've watched a couple episodes and so far I'm enjoying it. It's pretty much gonna be more of the same but with a new baddie, but that's fine for ST imo. Kids defo getting a bit too old though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Why are some of you going to watch something you think you'll probably regret lmao. Plenty of other TV shows out there, you don't need to watch them all. Unless it's just cool to not like Stranger Things now and I missed the memo.

It's like eating at Burger King: You'll enjoy it at the time, but you'll regret it later.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I never regret a burger

NEVER

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Why are some of you going to watch something you think you'll probably regret lmao.

Because I've watched 3 seasons and I want to know how it ends, even though based on the third season, it'll most likely be bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man this new monster is such a try hard. Have visions of rotten food / animals on food ever been scary?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anyway I've watched a couple episodes and so far I'm enjoying it. It's pretty much gonna be more of the same but with a new baddie, but that's fine for ST imo. Kids defo getting a bit too old though.

You can enjoy the show and also criticise the self-indulgence of having unnecessarily supersized episodes at the same time, or while still thinking it never got better than s1 (I don’t agree with that personally, but it’s a common criticism I see).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two episodes in, and I'm honestly enjoying it a lot. It's a different show to what it was in Season 1, but I don't think that means it's bad. The only actually poor season was the second IMO.

This is basically three shows though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nobody’s gonna be able to say “well such-and-such character got short shrift this season” because every character is getting a lot of focused moments which is where the length is coming from

The Byers brothers are still lacking compared to everyone else but they do have more than before, Will and Mike get some good moments and Jonathan doesn’t get a lot besides comedic stoner stuff so far but it’s fairly funny usually and I assume it’s better than whatever Nancy drama they have planned for the future

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Watched the first episode and liking it despite the slow start. Interested in the new characters (Eddie for example), and Steve the ally is getting even better if that is even possible.

The very beginning though was really, really unfortunate in light of current events. I found it really hard to get through, even though it is a short scene.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lol the ending to episode 4 is ridiculously intense with expensive CGI and rousing music and everything it feels like a season finale but it’s the end to episode four of nine

It was also very good payoff for one character’s arc so far and justified the time spent on it so maybe if they can pull off more things like that it will make the runtime seem worth it???? Maybe???

Anyway the season definitely isn’t a trainwreck which is cool. But I don’t think I like the villain much

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hah, just watching the first few minutes and they got that just about perfectly -- a lovely English student writing in her journal. I wondered why it sounded so weird at first, but as someone who's graded a ton of lovely English papers, they absolutely nailed the cadence.

And lil Will looks like a fuckin linebacker hahaha

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Phenotype posted:

And lil Will looks like a fuckin linebacker hahaha

Will looks like a grown rear end man dressing up and pretending to be a kid lol.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode 4 man.

Episode 4.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Nobody’s gonna be able to say “well such-and-such character got short shrift this season” because every character is getting a lot of focused moments which is where the length is coming from

The Byers brothers are still lacking compared to everyone else but they do have more than before, Will and Mike get some good moments and Jonathan doesn’t get a lot besides comedic stoner stuff so far but it’s fairly funny usually and I assume it’s better than whatever Nancy drama they have planned for the future

Yeah, this is why I'm not really put off by the super-long runtimes. Will and Jonathan especially felt really superfluous last season, so I'm happy that, two episodes in, everyone has something to do and some conflict to deal with, even if some are more interesting than others. Stoner Jonathan hanging with his stoner bud while freaking out about Nancy stuff is okay, but I could watch a whole season of Steve and Robin running a video rental store while looking for love. Overall the Hawkins stuff is way more interesting than everything happening outside of Hawkins, but I'm still more into everyone's California/Russia adventures than I was with a lot of the mall stuff last time around. Hopefully the runtimes remained earned and Jonathan finally gets to do more than get high and mope about how cool his girlfriend is.

Also digging the body-horror stuff that Upside Down Freddy Krueger does to his victims. Really gross in the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Episode 4 man.

Episode 4.

I honestly thought the whole climax was fuckin great. Especially with the music.