Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Open Source Idiom posted:

Episode 4 man.

Episode 4.
Kate Bush :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I will say if one plot isn’t landing with me as much as I thought it would, it’s Hopper in Russia with Joyce helping him. The best stuff is Steve and the Hawkins gang by far though

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Episode 4 man.

Episode 4.

I about had a heart attack watching that.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

So, would this season have been better off being released weekly? I feel like Kenobi is eating ST's lunch right now, and will likely continue to do so for longer... At least until the finale?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Chieves posted:

So, would this season have been better off being released weekly? I feel like Kenobi is eating ST's lunch right now, and will likely continue to do so for longer... At least until the finale?

No, I'm irritated I even have to wait till Wednesday for the end.

E: June =/= July... poo poo

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 28, 2022

Mister Gopher
Oct 27, 2004
I eat my own poop
Soiled Meat
Well, just watched it all.

Overall very, very good outside of certain parts (Nancy/Steve seems odd, most of Russia). Agree that episode 4 and 5 really was the best part of it all, and that Vecna was (is) a very terrifying antagonist. The scenes with Max and the other victims were extremely well done and haunting.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Very entertained so far, and as they delved into Vecna and what his deal is I got really hyped. He's the perfect D&D dark wizard.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Stranger Things is written with binging in mind. It’s more like reading a book where one episode bleeds into the next like chapters. I think it would actually suffer if it were week-to-week without significant overhaul of the storytelling structure.

That said I had the day off today and the partner is out of town so I binged the whole loving thing. I wasn’t quite feeling it at the beginning because it just felt like more of season 3, which I found weak overall. From the beginning it is obvious that the episodes are definitely too long and nearly all of them could’ve been told in under an hour. But as the season went on and things started tying together, it had me hooked.

My biggest spoiler free complaint is that, despite the huge budget, a lot of the CGI just straight up looked like a cartoon. Every time someone got murdered by the villain and their body cracked in that same way, it just looked worse and worse. And I straight up laughed at the very end of the season when we saw his transformation in the flashback. It’s honestly a shame because the practical effects are really loving good this time around, and it felt like they could’ve used them for some of the CGI’d bits.

Season-wide spoilers: I really liked the villain reveal and how it seems like they might actually explain just what the gently caress has been going on since the beginning of the show. A lot of shows really end up dropping the ball when it comes to solving the “mystery box”. But ST has never presented itself as a mystery box show, so getting to learn more about the nature of the Upside Down feels like an unexpected treat instead of a bunch of audience expectations the writers could never live up to.

I would be very happy if 01 has been the actual antagonist behind everything since the beginning. You don’t lose the Lovecraftian horror because his motivation is rooted in understanding the absurd madness of existence. But it brings things down to a more understandable, human level which has been a real problem with the show as the threats from each season just became “more demigorgons” and “what if uhhhhh a bigger smarter demigorgon”.
Who knows if they’ll stick the landing but the first seven episodes so far have left me very excited for the rest.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MokBa posted:

Stranger Things is written with binging in mind. It’s more like reading a book where one episode bleeds into the next like chapters. I think it would actually suffer if it were week-to-week without significant overhaul of the storytelling structure.

Yeah, this is why they're called "Stranger Things 2" ect because they're supposed to be viewed as more movies than traditional seasons of a show. At least that's the intention from the Duffers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I just finished watching the first episode of the season and Jesus Christ, has the show always been this cheesy and dumb?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I'm reluctant to even bother watching this season because the early reviews indicate Season 4 is just as bad as Season 2, which is saying something. I guess it's the opposite of Star Trek so the even numbers are the bad ones.

The criticisms are that the season is way too long, the whole enterprise feels forced, there are far too many plots and locations going on at once, there is an over-reliance on horror and gross out effects, there is no charm or wit between the characters anymore, and the actors are obviously too old to suspend disbelief.

Can anyone who has seen the first batch of episodes confirm how much of that is accurate? I'll probably get around to watching it before the second batch in July but if it's the same quality of Season 2 I might as well pass.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So I’m halfway through episode 2 and I understand that the show is homaging a lot of horror movies, and in particular this season has an IT/Carrie motif.

But for people that have watched ahead, does it keep up this level of… meanness against the characters all the way through?

Maybe it’s just the 3-year gap but it didn’t feel as bad in previous seasons?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Former Human posted:

I'm reluctant to even bother watching this season because the early reviews indicate Season 4 is just as bad as Season 2, which is saying something. I guess it's the opposite of Star Trek so the even numbers are the bad ones.

The criticisms are that the season is way too long, the whole enterprise feels forced, there are far too many plots and locations going on at once, there is an over-reliance on horror and gross out effects, there is no charm or wit between the characters anymore, and the actors are obviously too old to suspend disbelief.

Can anyone who has seen the first batch of episodes confirm how much of that is accurate? I'll probably get around to watching it before the second batch in July but if it's the same quality of Season 2 I might as well pass.

If these reviews and Season 4 keeps up the same "quality" then I am firmly in the "Stranger Things should have ended after the first season" camp.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

dpkg chopra posted:

So I’m halfway through episode 2 and I understand that the show is homaging a lot of horror movies, and in particular this season has an IT/Carrie motif.

But for people that have watched ahead, does it keep up this level of… meanness against the characters all the way through?

Maybe it’s just the 3-year gap but it didn’t feel as bad in previous seasons?

That was one of the big criticisms in the USA Today review.

quote:

But the bigger problem is the wild departure in tone. This season is by far the most steeped in horror, and it is deeply, viscerally frightening, from jump scares to worming psychological terror that will stick in your mind long after your binge-watch is completed. But that isn't necessarily a good thing, except for the horror devotees the show counts among its fans (and to be fair, there are many). The success of "Stranger" over the years hasn't been defined simply by the number of goosebumps it created, but rather by its charm, wit and the compelling relationships between the characters. Those lighter – and vastly more important – elements take a back seat in Season 4, much to the detriment of the series.

What's left in place of good spirits is depraved. The number of gouged eyeballs, cracked and mutilated limbs, and children and teens killed and/or dragged into the hell of the Upside Down is so excessive it starts to anger. What is the point of this, other than to shock and dismay? True horror done right is more than this schlock.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So no spoilers, but for someone who thought season 1 was okay, season 2 was very good, and season 3 was very bad, how will I like this season? I heard it's absurdly long and I've got a queue of shows that will take me well into the afterlife to finish.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

escape artist posted:

So no spoilers, but for someone who thought season 1 was okay, season 2 was very good, and season 3 was very bad, how will I like this season? I heard it's absurdly long and I've got a queue of shows that will take me well into the afterlife to finish.

Three episodes in, season 2 my favorite and 3 my least, I'm digging it. Feels pretty similar tonally to season 2 for me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked this season. I'd say it's about on par with season 3. Though they spend way too much time on a plot with Eleven that could've been condensed.

But also I love Steve and Robin and they get a lot of time to shine.

Episode 4 is also one of the best episodes of the entire show.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

If these reviews and Season 4 keeps up the same "quality" then I am firmly in the "Stranger Things should have ended after the first season" camp.

I remember binging Season 2 the day it came out, because I liked Season 1 so much, and posted my thoughts in this forum at the time. I pointed out how disappointing Season 2 was, a big rehash of the first season but much worse, the episode in Chicago was embarrassingly bad, etc. and people basically said I was an idiot and the show was better than ever. People get caught up in the hype and lose all perspective, apparently.

Season 3 was better, I didn't dislike it at least, but then again the bar was set pretty low. That's why I'm rather skeptical of any seasons past the first. Season 1 was outstanding and thus far I agree it should have ended there.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It’s late so I’ll type up a better effortpost tomorrow, but holy poo poo that was bad. Watching the last episode I was just sitting jaw agape at how bad it was. The only good episode was 4.

Aw what the hell, a few random thoughts:

- I loved season 3, but one of my complaints about it was how segmented everything was. And this season doubled WAY down on that! Eleven spends most of the season isolated. Hopper and Joyce don’t reunite until the last episode. I lol’ed on page 1 of this thread when someone mentioned that no characters would get the short end of the stick this season, because Will, Jonathan, and MIKE of all characters absolutely got the short end of the stick. They did nothing all season. Are they even in the last episode?

- speaking of doing nothing all season, Hopper’s entire plot felt like filler. He did absolutely nothing except get tortured, escape, get captured and tortured again, and then fight a demogorgon. Which, to be fair, the Demo fight was cool. But Hopper’s entire plot was pointless. And speaking of padding the runtime, did we really need a 5-minute long scene where Hopper recounts the whole history of his family to Enzo? Yes it’s new information to Enzo, but we the viewers already know all this stuff!

- I haven’t read any reviews except the one further up on this page, but the comments about the season being “meaner” were spot on. How many torture scenes of Hopper, Eleven, or other children do we need?

- the big twist at the end was horrible. Maybe this is personal preference, but I thought it was just terrible. And I could see it going in that direction, and was desperately hoping there would be some swerve, but sadly there wasn’t.

- Everyone loves Eleven, the cute little girl who we’ve watched use her powers for three seasons! What’s the worst possible plot line we can give her? I know! Let’s make her lose her powers for reasons that are not clear or sensible, and then spend the whole season with her isolated from the rest of the cast and re-learning how to use her powers! Surely that will make for riveting television!!

I’ll probably have more thoughts but it’s late and I’m tired. And sad. I was ridiculously excited for this season, I’m not some too-cool-for-school internet grump that thinks “ugh, stranger things is sooo overrated.” But man, big swing and a miss here.

For the record: 1 > 3 > small gap > 2 > Giant loving gap > 4

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Former Human posted:

the episode in Chicago was embarrassingly bad.

I forgot about this.

Can media please stop the whole "People from the city are mean, while people in the country are nice! :)" trope? It's so loving stupid.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Netflix has really been on a roll the past two years huh?

Outside of "Squid Game" I can't remember anything they've put out that's been good.

Everything has been so disappointing.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 28, 2022

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

It’s late so I’ll type up a better effortpost tomorrow, but holy poo poo that was bad. Watching the last episode I was just sitting jaw agape at how bad it was.

yiiiiiikes

punk rebel ecks posted:

I forgot about this.

Can media please stop the whole "People from the city are mean, while people in the country are nice! :)" trope? It's so loving stupid.

When Season 2 was announced, Millie Bobby Brown did an interview where she said she wanted her character to be in school with Mike and the boys, dealing with the complications of being out in public and trying to fit in and be a normal kid, resisting the urge to use her powers, etc. (I'm heavily paraphrasing because this was many years ago). She was 12 and had better ideas for the show than the Duffer Brothers :lol:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just gonna hotdrop some hot takes because I don't want spoilers until I'm finished

Up to ep 4

The end of episode 2 Steve's "considering everyone in this room has nearly died about a hundred times" with the oar

And; Mid ep4 the cia guard turning out to be way more competent than some junior league national guard assault team trying to kidnap/murder kids

We're highpoints for me

But plot confusion point has hopper just had a broken ankle for like 36 hours now and just shambling his way into a jogging pace anyway? Ouch?

And end of ep 4 was honestly expecting the sad ending instead

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really liked this. I thought it was very loving funny, charming, etc. There's some cheese, but yeah, that's the show, and I'm so over the way these kinds of shows render their queer male characters exclusively as subtext, but their queer women as explicit text (though this isn't a particularly gay season, it must be said). It was good, I found it moving, the horror is good too -- which, sidebar, this is a horror show, it's always been a horror show, and tbh I don't get goons itt who seem concerned by the level of horror on display here as it's all about roughly on the level as earlier seasons -- but it's also about hanging out with the cool characters making jokes and getting into scary situations that they have to fight their ways out of, and this delivers pretty consistently on that front.

Yeah, this is just throwing a whole bunch of stuff on the screen because they can the entire Mormon side episode in episode six, for instance, but a lot of it is loving funny, so...

The entire Hopper / Joyce plot after about episode two or three should have been contained to a single focused episode, but we saw how everyone lost their minds last time that happened so I can see why they didn't do that. Brett Gelman and Wynonna Ryder make a very good comedy duo though; I think this is the most fun Ryder has ever seemed to be having on screen.

This is the most I've enjoyed the show since season 1.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked this season. I'd say it's about on par with season 3. Though they spend way too much time on a plot with Eleven that could've been condensed.

But also I love Steve and Robin and they get a lot of time to shine.

Episode 4 is also one of the best episodes of the entire show.

The ending to 4 was so beautifully done I teared up a little.

I like all the seasons, though 2 the least, it had a fair whack of problems. And i'm starting episode 5 now, and this might be my favorite so far.

I don't get the whole complaint that there's a change in tone. There's a change in tone every single season.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Just finished episode 2 and I'm sorry was I suppose to feel bad or shocked for what El did to the girl who was tormenting her? She did exactly what she should have done. I will never understand these types of shows and their whole :ohdear: when people rightfully attack garbage people.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I lol’ed on page 1 of this thread when someone mentioned that no characters would get the short end of the stick this season, because :words:

Yeah it’s definitely starting to feel like I was a bit too confident in the Brothers after being impressed with the early episodes. It seemed like they had spent the time giving every character a full arc, but now it’s becoming a lot of repetition with certain characters as useless as ever. And I really don’t like where they’ve taken the Eleven storyline - just about the least interesting possible thing they could have done, to take her away from everyone else to go learn how to be psychic again. This on top of the already superfluous elements taking up so much space in the episodes ain’t great.

But overall, I agree with Idiom. The show is still funny and largely entertaining to me, and I like the new horror focus. I don’t need this show to be incredible, I need it to be good popcorn TV, and it’s still very good at being that for me. And if nothing else, it’s becoming a better Brett Gelman delivery system with every season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just finished episode 2 and I'm sorry was I suppose to feel bad or shocked for what El did to the girl who was tormenting her? She did exactly what she should have done. I will never understand these types of shows and their whole :ohdear: when people rightfully attack garbage people.

Yeah gently caress this poo poo, children are awful, chat poo poo get rekt

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm undecided on my feelings re: Eleven, or what the season is trying to say with her character at this point.

I suspect it's leaning towards the idea that (full season spoilers) sometimes violence is, if not necessarily desirable, something that needs to be accepted? That's slightly better than your typical anti-revolt politics, I'll grant you, but still ehhhhhh

A lot of the season is pushing the cast towards coming to terms with the parts of themselves that they find shameful -- Will's homosexuality, the collapse of Nancy's teen romance, Hopper's experiences with Agent Orange, Max's grief and depression, Eleven's traumatic response to violence...

But like said above, yeah, Eleven pushing back against those (super ridiculous) bullies was super justified, and I honestly found it weird that Mike was uncomfortable with everything. I'm surprised he didn't deck the DJ tbh.

Plus, the entire show is basically about a bunch of kids who beat up and then murder their literal and metaphorical bullies. The blonde bully kid organised a last minute, heavily choreographed, rolleskate based flashmob just to harass the world's saddest orphan -- she's at least as magical and as cruel as anything the Upside Down has thrown at the cast so far. She got off lightly IMO.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

And; Mid ep4 the cia guard turning out to be way more competent than some junior league national guard assault team trying to kidnap/murder kids

yeah this guy fuckin' owned

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Boy this Eleven storyline is just not doin it for me at all (ep 6) oh boo hoo I was bullied by the other psychic kids!!!!! although I guess the main bully might end up being the season villain so that’s at least something but the flashback scenes are pretty lame overall

The rest is fine but episodes 1-4 felt a lot better to me than 5 and 6 have plus it’s all still, of course, way too drat long

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also bad: the Nancy/Steve stuff! Feels like it’s written to appeal to the kind of fan I don’t wanna know.

After this show is over I hope the first spinoff they make is The Wheelers, like as a full multicam with a live studio audience

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm 4 episodes in and forgot how annoying dustin is. hate that little prick.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Two ep's in, no one should live in this city anymore. Declare it Pripyat, say there was a gas leak :fart: or something.

Not sure how to phrase this, but something about the violence to the victims feels a little excessive? Will depend on how they end up tying the bad guy to the plot or what his deal actually is. I did like season 3 and a lot of that sticks around (people melting into a flesh pile oh god) but was ultimately really bummed at how the big bad related to it's victims/the cast.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 28, 2022

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m two episodes in and I’m digging the show and the intense horror vibes. This is still better than a lot of other streaming shows.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I really disliked Season 3 and really like this season so far. Just wrapped it up and am excited to see more, but I'm curious what they'll even be doing in Season 5.

e: I will also say that due to Netflix's trend and how I felt about Season 3, I was going into this thinking it would be bad, so maybe I'm just pleasantly surprised but overall thumbs up from me so far.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 28, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Scholtz posted:

I really disliked Season 3 and really like this season so far. Just wrapped it up and am excited to see more, but I'm curious what they'll even be doing in Season 5.

Season 5 will be the actors with grey hair and long beards, but it'll be set in like 1991 and they'll still be pretending that they're kids.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MokBa posted:

My biggest spoiler free complaint is that, despite the huge budget, a lot of the CGI just straight up looked like a cartoon.

I definitely saw this too, but I'm willing to cut them some slack because (from what I hear) CGI studios are spread incredibly thin right now and overworked, especially with COVID and all of its fallout, and it's put us all on a bus that's speeding off a cliff right into the uncanny valley.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

OldSenileGuy posted:

It’s late so I’ll type up a better effortpost tomorrow, but holy poo poo that was bad. Watching the last episode I was just sitting jaw agape at how bad it was. The only good episode was 4.

Aw what the hell, a few random thoughts:

- I loved season 3, but one of my complaints about it was how segmented everything was. And this season doubled WAY down on that! Eleven spends most of the season isolated. Hopper and Joyce don’t reunite until the last episode. I lol’ed on page 1 of this thread when someone mentioned that no characters would get the short end of the stick this season, because Will, Jonathan, and MIKE of all characters absolutely got the short end of the stick. They did nothing all season. Are they even in the last episode?

- speaking of doing nothing all season, Hopper’s entire plot felt like filler. He did absolutely nothing except get tortured, escape, get captured and tortured again, and then fight a demogorgon. Which, to be fair, the Demo fight was cool. But Hopper’s entire plot was pointless. And speaking of padding the runtime, did we really need a 5-minute long scene where Hopper recounts the whole history of his family to Enzo? Yes it’s new information to Enzo, but we the viewers already know all this stuff!

- the big twist at the end was horrible. Maybe this is personal preference, but I thought it was just terrible. And I could see it going in that direction, and was desperately hoping there would be some swerve, but sadly there wasn’t.

- Everyone loves Eleven, the cute little girl who we’ve watched use her powers for three seasons! What’s the worst possible plot line we can give her? I know! Let’s make her lose her powers for reasons that are not clear or sensible, and then spend the whole season with her isolated from the rest of the cast and re-learning how to use her powers! Surely that will make for riveting television!!

I’ll probably have more thoughts but it’s late and I’m tired. And sad. I was ridiculously excited for this season, I’m not some too-cool-for-school internet grump that thinks “ugh, stranger things is sooo overrated.” But man, big swing and a miss here.

My rambling spitballing interpretation on what happened in S3/overall carrying over into S4 that might explain some of the plot:
(massive S4 spoilers for the last couple episodes obviously)

1) 001 is essentially a dying battery stuck in the Upside Down from 79 through 83, living off of the kills from the Hawkins Lab massacre. Presumably there's still residual microgates around Hawkins Lab where the space between worlds is frayed just enough for deer to come through accidentally (S1, demogorgon eating scene). The demogorgon and various mini-gorgons are a last ditch creation on 001's part to cover more area around Hawkins and live slightly longer by gathering everything that comes through, the bigger ones being for deer or dogs and the smaller ones for smaller animals. The bats flying around the upside down looking for anything moving and reporting in/attacking it seem to indicate this is the case.
2) Once El cracks open the gate again (having blocked out the memory of creating it to begin with), they send the poor sucker in the suit to scout out what it's like. He gets killed and then the elevator scientist does; giving enough energy for 001 to open up gates for short periods around people near the lab (Barb, the hunters that go missing), where the demogorgon can pull them through.
3) By Season 2 001 has recovered enough that he can start spreading around the town at large in the real world, underground from the gate. Will is a test to see if people can be taken over fully in order to spread 001's influence and also serve as incubators without killing the host. The number of deaths in S2 give 001 from the Hawkins Lab a further boost of energy for post S2, where the gate is fully closed, which allows him to survive and experiment further.
4) The Soviets gently caress it all up. By reopening the gate through dumping massive energy they stick a crowbar in a closed door, opening it just wide enough for 001 to slip his influence through to survive. This allows him to create the rat and human goo monsters, enabling him to tackle two separate things: an eventual attack on the Soviet gate facility to keep the gate from being closed again(which never happens), and securing El. At some point during this whole mess he tries slipping a demogorgon through (or the Soviets pull one from Upside Down in Hawkins), which gets transported to lovely Siberia (or this managed to come through with one of the Russian gate attempts, it's never made exactly clear)
5) 001 is partially successful, he gets his tendrils into El through the attack with the spider monster. As the leg bite grows it starts to work its way into El, to turn her into another Billy under the control of 001.
6) When it's removed, 001 realizes he can go about things through a different route: using El's psychic signature (gained through the leg bite), and sapping her power. Past the early part of Battle of Starcourt, she doesn't have her powers anymore.
7) 001 has been slowly siphoning power from El for the 9 month long interval between S3 and S4. This combined with the lovely weekly prisoner buffet allows 001 to gain more and more power, gradually allowing him to start poking holes between dimensions, choosing his victims without having to worry about the exposure a full gate entails, which would by this point spell his doom should an invading force of someone other than meddling kids cross over.
8) Each season has a snowball effect on 001's ability to gain power and influence the world at large. S1 he could only send a single demogorgon through giving him a vital lifeline of kills, S2 he had sufficiently spread the gate far enough from the control of the facility that he could avoid the military burn patrols, allowing him to create an army of demodogs and demogorgons with which to gain more life energy. S3, being cut off except for short intervals while the Soviets work their way to open the gate, 001 can only transmit instructions to the last gasp of smoke from Will in S2: grow, and open the gate through the real world side. S4, through siphoning El's power and the delicious supply of Russian flesh, 001 can get back to work.

tl;dr 001 is an interdimensional life vampire, one El is both responsible for partially creating and as of S4's hiatus until July, the one she's powering. He'll be continually gaining strength from her and kills until she can figure out how to identify and halt 001 from sapping her powers. Hopper's plot in Siberia is literally what he says in there, he's put there to kill off the demogorgon and its life supply avenue. Once both of those are done, 001 might not have enough energy left to create new gates to live off of.

fake edit: whew that whole spoiler is a mess

Tyler Whitney fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 28, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Part of why I liked season 1 so much was that it wasn’t any longer than it had to be and had a deliberately structured story. Success made it a sprawling mess, but Brett Gemlan is wonderful and I’m glad they made him a regular.

I’m still waiting for the science teacher’s moment to shine. He was right up there with Steve for me in the first season, and he seems to have been ejected from the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
^^^^^^ This (Tyler Whitney's post) may all turn out to be varying levels of true! I just hate it and hate the direction the show has taken!

For the first 3 seasons, the Upside Down was this mysterious other realm that we aren't meant to access or know about, but due to man's meddling with science, we created people that had powers and could access the demon world and Evil Creatures started coming across and loving everything up. That's fun and mysterious and very X-Files! But now we learn, no it's just some kid that randomly was born with these powers (?) that started accessing the Upside Down, and the government kidnapped him and used him to make the other children, before they put an inhibitor chip (???) in his neck? It's a twist that turns everything we think we knew upside down (lol), but it's not a good one.

A few more random thoughts and complaints:

I think at the end of season 3, the consensus theorized answer to the question of "how did Hopper survive the explosion of the machine?" was "he escaped into the Upside Down!" That was a fun answer and opened up a bunch more questions of "how did the Russians retrieve him from the Upside Down?" "how long was he stuck in there?" etc. That sounds like a fun plotline to explore! But no, the actual answer is that the explosion just knocked Hopper off the catwalk and onto the ground (despite the fact that it vaporized the other people in that room), and when Joyce went into the room to look for his body, she just didn't look over the railing down to see where he fell? And then the Russians were able to come in and remove him from the facility, despite the fact that by this point, the facility was crawling with US Military?? What's the saying? Something about how the audience will accept the impossible but not the improbable?

The Hopper stuff is all so ridiculous, that for the first couple episodes, I was expecting a twist where the Russian Prison actually was in the Upside Down, with the joke being that Russia sucks so much that Hopper was unable to tell the difference.

And why did the Russians keep Hopper alive after an extremely unlikely escape attempt which ended with the deaths of several Russian soldiers? I kept waiting for some payoff on the "Hopper in Russia" storyline, thinking there MUST be some reason they're keeping him alive, probably related to his knowledge of the Upside Down and their continuing research. But nope. They just kept him alive to do prisoner labor on a railroad and then eventually get fed to a Demogorgon.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't watched S1 or S2 in a while, but wasn't going into the Upside Down portrayed as a toxic, corrosive experience in those seasons? I remember any science guys that did it wore full haz-mat suits, and I have a vague memory of Hopper and Joyce going in (to look for Will?) and coming out all out of breath and hosed up and whatnot. But now the Steve and Robin gang are full-on exploring the Upside Down like it's nothing? Again, to be fair, the "Steve fucks up a demon bat" scene WAS cool, but this is something that was nagging at the back of my head all during those scenes.

This is minor in the grand scheme of things, but there was no "80's icon" guest star this season! I'm not counting Robert Englund because he had all of one scene. But S2 had Sean Astin and S3 had Cary Elwes. Why nobody for S4?

Trying to think of stuff I actually liked about this season - as I said, the stuff in episode 4 was legit good, and Robin and Steve continue to be the best.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 28, 2022