Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They also sort of did the whole "resolving the situation without superpowers" thing at the end of season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

stev posted:

They also sort of did the whole "resolving the situation without superpowers" thing at the end of season 3.

Nah they all would have died in the cabin if it wasn't for Eleven's powers. She also saved some of the other kids from the Russians by yeeting a car at them. And heck, even without powers Eleven was still the one who gave Billy the happy memories so that he took the death blow to save the others

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

Kings taste terrible at best
and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*
The show did the exact same poo poo I hate with Vecna and Elevens fight in the last episode.

"It is hopeless, I am infinitely more powerful than you. The screenwriter wants to add suspense to this scene but can't think of any interesting way to do it"

"You're wrong! The screenwriters had me learn the power of love at just the right time or something. I am now infinitely more powerful than you!"

repeat x2

"Arrrg! Foiled again by the grimacing tween with her palm face towards me! Nooooo!"

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Nancy could do better thats for sure

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It is frustrating how the show has become "Wait for Eleven to solve all the problems."

I'm rewatching the first season now. My first reaction is wow, these kids are babies. They did amazing acting, season 1 really is special.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Chamale posted:

It is frustrating how the show has become "Wait for Eleven to solve all the problems."

I'm rewatching the first season now. My first reaction is wow, these kids are babies. They did amazing acting, season 1 really is special.

I'm always blown away by what a phenomenal job 11 does with such little dialogue in S1

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If anyone is looking for something Stranger Things-like to tide them over, Paper Girls S1 just dropped on Amazon Prime. I haven't watched the show yet, but I've read the comic it's based on and enjoyed it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ashheap Empire posted:

The show did the exact same poo poo I hate with Vecna and Elevens fight in the last episode.

"It is hopeless, I am infinitely more powerful than you. The screenwriter wants to add suspense to this scene but can't think of any interesting way to do it"

"You're wrong! The screenwriters had me learn the power of love at just the right time or something. I am now infinitely more powerful than you!"

repeat x2

"Arrrg! Foiled again by the grimacing tween with her palm face towards me! Nooooo!"

It's almost as if the show composed entirely of 80s movie tropes was intentionally using another 80s movie trope

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's almost as if the show composed entirely of 80s movie tropes was intentionally using another 80s movie trope

No, that' can't be right.

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's not a new trope but it is even more common now. With the rise of superhero and wizard franchises the winner of a fight usually comes down to who has a higher power level, like DBZ over 9000 and poo poo. The easiest way to write that is to have one character be more, then the other, then the first one, and so on. Compare that to any Jackie Chan Movie from the 80's. He's not just clowning goons by punching hard than them, he's basically a kung fu bugs bunny. He's constantly tricking or outwitting his opponents. Even in They Live John Nada didn't gain the aliens mind control powers by being the chosen one and beat them by becoming more powerful than them. I mean the ending is my least favorite part of that movie but at least they had to come up with a plan.

And the power level fight was already played out in the 80s. I remember John Carpenter making fun of it with the Lo Pan vs Egg Shen dual in Big Trouble In Little China.

I still really like Stranger Things, don't get me wrong. It's not like that but was the only thing going on in the final episode. I loved pretty much everything else in it. I'm just really getting sick of climatic battles being written that way

Ashheap Empire
Jul 22, 2000

and rest in peace raw
The rest are recipes
*CAAAWWWW*
Hell, I even thought the Russia stuff was great. It's only problem was being cut into the rest of season 4. It brought any narrative momentum to a halt whenever the went back to it .

If it had been a between season special or something like that I think everyone would have raved about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ashheap Empire posted:

And the power level fight was already played out in the 80s. I remember John Carpenter making fun of it with the Lo Pan vs Egg Shen dual in Big Trouble In Little China.

Yea, but then Jack defeats Lo Pan by literally "be more than the other". He throws the knife, Lo Pan throws it back at him, he catches it and throws it again and kills Lo Pan.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

4 was a big recurring motif in this season and one of the ways they did that was showing 4 separate stories that only came together in the end.

It didn't work for a lot of people, but I loved it. This was our Empire Strikes Back. We'll get everybody back together for 'Jedi next time around.

Mastocator
Jul 26, 2022
I'm a miserable sort when it comes to media, so S4 was something I endured. Casting is top notch though, real star here. The actors are all very charismatic, so much that they weather and even shine through the hailstorm of platitudes. Maybe it's my fault that I was hoping for a Freaks and Geeks set up with a supernatural murder spree plaguing the small town. Unfortunately past the first 2 eps it's all about solving the mystery far away from real relatable life. Characters are all operating in service of the plot, little gained or learned about their characters, and it's boring stuff. The show really has a knack for twiddling its thumbs in every drat scene. Individual moments and climatic buildups linger way past their expiration date. It's masturbatory and struggles to finish. Either get a gosh darn editor or write a darn gosh narrative that can compellingly flesh out 12 hours worth of run time!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LividLiquid posted:

4 was a big recurring motif in this season and one of the ways they did that was showing 4 separate stories that only came together in the end.

It didn't work for a lot of people, but I loved it. This was our Empire Strikes Back. We'll get everybody back together for 'Jedi next time around.

Season 3 did the same thing really. You had three distinct groups (with the occasional subgroup) that all converged on the mall in the finale before splitting up again.

The only difference was they were all in or around Hawkins rather than thousands of miles away from eachother. But they interacted just as much.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 29, 2022

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elephant Ambush posted:

this + anime

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The storytelling in the first season was that characters were grouped by approximate age or life position and each group had a different genre for their story. As the kids aged up and the “teens” became indistinguishable from the adults in terms of their life positions, it became impossible to do that. This season seems like it’s at least trying to use physical location to do a different version of each group of characters having a different kind of story.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Nice catch, though maybe I missed the obvious. I didn't connect the storyline number to the 4 motif for some reason, but I did see that motif because I was asking myself why 4 chimes and 4 gates? I eventually decided it was probably just because "Season 4", but I wondered because other shows primed me to think about the possible significance of 4 chimes/notes. (Doctor Who once did it with no meaning then added an excellent retcon meaning, and now Westworld is doing God-only-knows-what with it.)

stev posted:

Season 3 did the same thing really. You had three distinct groups (with the occasional subgroup) that all converged on the mall in the finale before splitting up again.

The only difference was they were all in or around Hawkins rather than thousands of miles away from eachother. But they interacted just as much.

It may be easy to carry this thinking too far, but if you ignore the adventuring subgroups again, Season 2 also breaks down into 2 threads, Eleven's Journey and Will's Travails. It's the one time the show broke with chronological order to focus on character threads with the episode structure. Eleven shows up eventually in the Will thread, but by then he's fully possessed or sedated. I think they've never even met awake and in the same dimension until after the climax off camera or at the dance in the S2 epilogue.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

When it comes to the grandfather clock’s chimes specifically, that’s probably just a reflection of how many clocks use the Westminster Quarters to denote the quarters of every hour

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

CainFortea posted:

Yea, but then Jack defeats Lo Pan by literally "be more than the other". He throws the knife, Lo Pan throws it back at him, he catches it and throws it again and kills Lo Pan.

Jack can only do impressive stuff by reflex. Any time he intentionally does stuff (throw the knife) he sucks. When it's all reflex (catch and throw again) he's godlike!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't really know why but I'm pretty sure the number 4 is closely related to death in some cultures so it's probably just that.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Oh but then ... he will knock four times.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

stev posted:

I don't really know why but I'm pretty sure the number 4 is closely related to death in some cultures so it's probably just that.

In japan, 4 is considered unlucky because it's sometimes pronounced "shi" which is the word for death.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CainFortea posted:

In japan, 4 is considered unlucky because it's sometimes pronounced "shi" which is the word for death.

Pacman was originally called "deathman" but they changed it because they thought it might make players think of death

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

There were 4 ninja turtles, who were also big in the 80s!

Coincidence? Absolutely!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Some Japanese buildings, particularly hospitals, will not have a 4th floor, considering it unlucky the same way 13 is in the US. This is an actual plot point in Silent Hill 1.

e:
An ancient gamefaqs thread tells me the 4=shi thing works in Chinese as well, which is probably how it appears in Big Trouble.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 31, 2022

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Eddie jams with Metallica, for real

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:3:

Yo, click that.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Takes No Damage posted:

e:
An ancient gamefaqs thread tells me the 4=shi thing works in Chinese as well, which is probably how it appears in Big Trouble.
Yeah it’s a big thing in Chinese culture too. Around me some municipalities passed laws about changing your house number and numbering floors in buildings because some condos were being built without any 4s on any of the floors or unit numbers and people were lobbying city councils to change their house number if it had a 4 in it.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
When I grew up in Singapore one of the only reasons we were able to get/afford our house was because it was number 44.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MarsPearl posted:

When I grew up in Singapore one of the only reasons we were able to get/afford our house was because it was number 44.

Welp, time to start combing Zillow for units numbered 13 on Black Cat Lane or some poo poo...

LividLiquid posted:

:3:

Yo, click that.

Actually showing the clip from the show at a concert :3:

Reposting to embed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox84cr4JqNU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MarsPearl posted:

Vecna account spotted

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My wife was out of town on business for a while and didn't have time to watch Vol 2 of S4 so we're rewatching Vol 1 to refresh her memory and a nice detail we noticed is that in the opening scenes of E1, when they show all the other murdered test subjects, they all have broken and twisted limbs

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Am I the only thinking there is a real chance there is some sort of time travel or other time fuckery next season? It’s probably one of the only 80s trope they haven’t covered (Back to the Future, Terminator) and we now see El is so powerful she can basically do whatever she wants (I.e. jump starting Max’s heart), so why not play that hand?

One of the pillars of the show is that the world is blind to what is actually happening, so it provides a cover for plucky kids and bad scientists and gives the audience a special “in” to the universe. It keeps the stakes incredibly high while keeping the “real world” small. I literally lol’d when the news said what happened in Hawkins was an earthquake, but after seeing upside down death particles come out, there is no way the world doesn’t acknowledge what is happening. And once that happens, what are the kids going to do now, fight against/with the full power of the US Military (as opposed to some rogue office)? They basically exhausted their full capabilities against S4 Vecna. Going that way seems like a recipe for a lovely season and the Duffer Bros. have to know that.

I don’t think the show can handle an actual break of that conceit - that only the main characters know what’s going on - so the only place the story can go is for them to find a way to make the gate opening/earthquake/Vecna not happen. And I can see it being an irresistible vehicle for a ton of “OMG” moments from the audience.

Imagine 3 or 4 headfake episodes where main cast members die or get incapacitated, the world falls apart, all these characters we love are just getting rocked.

Then it shifts into El somehow having to go back in time or send her consciousness back in time stop/change Henry as a kid, or stop herself from killing him, or stopping Brenner - Something that forces El to make a decision that to save the world, she needs to stop herself from ever meeting the kids. Then we have sad moments where Mike and El get to cry because they won’t have met each other, and Joyce and Hop and everyone else has their moments too, basically pulling at all those emotional interconnections that have been built up over the last 4 seasons by saying “These relationships actually won’t exist anymore”.

Then she does it, the events of the five seasons never happen, and they can show an alternate shot of the S1 opening Demigorgon D&D scene where everyone sleeps over Mike’s house instead of Will going home and crashing his bike, and then for kicks add in a post credits flash forward to Mike seeing El at his first college class and let the viewer fill in the gaps.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 6, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If there were an extended cast not part of the core group, I’d say it would be fun to see everyone joining in on the fight against the monsters like that one Buffy finale. But the core group is so large, who would be left to bring in? The science teacher? Fake Molly Ringwald? If she sticks around, she’s going to part of the core group anyway. Mr. Wheeler isn’t getting up from the recliner, no matter what.

Time travel changing things + a coda in alternate 1989 with Mike meeting Eleven on his first day of college would be a good way to give everyone a happy ending (montage of all the dead characters now alive and happy—Bob is with some nerdy girl and Joyce and Hoper wave at them to show it was an amicable split), but remember there’s some kind of weird-rear end spinoff coming that needs to keep something familiar from the series.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Even if time travel shenanigans happen, Barb will somehow still be dead.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

11 sends everyone back in time but it splits everyone up into 3 groups in 3 different time periods and they need to get back together

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pro-click

Also, we already have concept art for Eddie's final form.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They'll try to change time but it's a closed loop and somehow Eleven is Vecna's mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Crazyweasel posted:

One of the pillars of the show is that the world is blind to what is actually happening, so it provides a cover for plucky kids and bad scientists and gives the audience a special “in” to the universe. It keeps the stakes incredibly high while keeping the “real world” small. I literally lol’d when the news said what happened in Hawkins was an earthquake, but after seeing upside down death particles come out, there is no way the world doesn’t acknowledge what is happening.
This was back when you could lie to people really easily. Nobody had cameras with them, and there was no way to talk to people you didn't already know save, like, Ham radio.

Think of how many things happened in plain sight recently that people still don't believe, and then remember a world before we all had a camera and the internet.