Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dmitri-9 posted:

Oh sure have the two black people in Indiana make the spears.
Oh, :barf:. I didn't notice that. Yikes.

And this show was originally going to be an anthology series with a new premise every year, so things aren't going to align to a plan they had from the beginning because it was only supposed to last the one year. I think they've done a fine job fitting things retroactively, though. Particularly this season, which tied together 1, 2, and 3 better than any of those seasons managed to do on their own.

We finally got to the fireworks factory and that's a moment most shows with ongoing mystery elements never land, so the fact that the Upside Down wasn't some hugely disappointing Nothing better left unexplained is pretty rad.

That all of this landed would be secondary to the character drama no matter what, but the fact that not only both worked, but worked in concert? Chef's kiss. The Upside Down has represented trauma from a thematic standpoint from the beginning, so it fits perfectly being such up top in the text as well, and while a lot of art right now is about unpacking your trauma, I kind of can't get enough of it yet and won't until it reaches a saturation point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chieves posted:

I'm fully on board for Separate Ways unseating Don't Stop Believing as the white people party Journey song of choice at this point
Speaking as a karaoke host of 19 years? Yes, please.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Noob Saibot posted:

It was never going to be an anthology that’s just what people on the internet kept making up and assuming
Not the case. It was, at different points, an anthology and a limited-run episodic.

https://screenrant.com/stranger-things-original-plan-story-differences-explained/

To your point, though, they did seem to know they'd continue with the show as it was were it picked up for a season 2, so my original post doesn't seem to apply.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sweet and savory is a wonderful flavor profile and if you don't like it on this one food, odds are good you love it somewhere else, and nobody's going to force you to eat it, so why be upset about it?

Let people enjoy things.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Justice For Barb was cute and fun until they decided they had to manufacture a new Barb just about every year.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

UFOTacoMan posted:

He was listening to Master of Puppets on a walkman while learning to play it on an acoustic in the boat house.
That's why he was so stoked to finally play it on the electric guitar when the time came.

Also, I like how they pro-actively showed that electricity worked in the upside down by using corded drills before the electric guitar comes out.
Despite popular consensus on the matter, them not justifying these things beforehand wouldn't have made them plot holes, but it's nice to explain things like that when you don't grind the plot or character work to a halt to do it. Hide it in the background like this where it can serve two purposes simultaneously and it gets to kick rear end twice. Speaking of:

Clear_Blue posted:

Yeah after Mike says 'I love you El' and 11 mind-pushes Vecna away, there is a short moment where Vecna is immobilised and writhing. Presumably from Team Russia BBQ'ing the Demogorgons. But as said before, the show never really delved into this aspect of Vecna,
They said at least three times that you can't touch the tendrils because all the Upside-Down creatures are one hive mind. That's everything we needed, for my money. This whole post wasn't about something you could've easily missed, though, so I hope you don't feel like I'm picking on you for including it to illustrate a point I'm making.

CainFortea posted:

Also i've noticed that as they got popular they got lazier and their "jokes" are straight up answered in the media.
Ah, yes. The CinemaSins trajectory. Though in their case, I'm taking it on faith that they were ever anything but horribly disingenuous.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I immediately noticed that, too. My detail oriented brain does not allow me to enjoy anything.
You're awesome and I super appreciate this because too often people take their noticing a thing for a thing being a problem, then game that out to thing being reason show bad. I also notice tons of things like that, used to be unable to let them not ruin things, and I super worried going to film school would make me way more insufferable about it, but while I'm about as insufferable as I was before, it's about different stuff. It actually made me care a lot less about things like this, because fiction does not and should not live and die based on people like you and me having a weird brain thing.

Out of nowhere metaphor, but It's a lot like being polyamorous. Jealousy is actually expected, fine, and normal at times and it's okay to ask for help or limited accommodation with it so long as you accept that it's your problem and don't lay the blame on the other people involved or anything they've done.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oasx posted:

They made an insanely successful and popular tv show, I would hardly call that failing upwards just because a few people on the internet disagreed with their creative descensions.
It's more than just weird internet nerds. I have never in my life seen something so popular get unexisted from the public consciousness so thoroughly and immediately.

This isn't the sum total of evidence, mind, but it is amusing: while the show was still airing, I couldn't walk down the street with my white German shepherd without somebody yelling "DIRE WOLF!" or "GHOST!" at us. It happened at least twice a week for a year-and-a-half.

It stopped immediately.

Edit: Pic for reference.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 9, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

4 was a big recurring motif in this season and one of the ways they did that was showing 4 separate stories that only came together in the end.

It didn't work for a lot of people, but I loved it. This was our Empire Strikes Back. We'll get everybody back together for 'Jedi next time around.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:3:

Yo, click that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Crazyweasel posted:

One of the pillars of the show is that the world is blind to what is actually happening, so it provides a cover for plucky kids and bad scientists and gives the audience a special “in” to the universe. It keeps the stakes incredibly high while keeping the “real world” small. I literally lol’d when the news said what happened in Hawkins was an earthquake, but after seeing upside down death particles come out, there is no way the world doesn’t acknowledge what is happening.
This was back when you could lie to people really easily. Nobody had cameras with them, and there was no way to talk to people you didn't already know save, like, Ham radio.

Think of how many things happened in plain sight recently that people still don't believe, and then remember a world before we all had a camera and the internet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MLSM posted:

I preferred the version of the mindflayer in seasons 1-3 as some sort of crazy lovecraftian god instead of the retcon version in season 4 as some sort of angry incel supervillain out of a marvel flick

Still enjoyed it though
I don't think that's what happened, if that helps.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's about trauma and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MLSM posted:

Lovecraftian god > incel supervillain with daddy issues
Okay? Both of those things are in this show.