Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

does anyone know if I can set up the paired teleporters to teleport between two different castles or is it just their solution to help people get around their increasingly larger and taller singular castles now?

Teleporters are in-castle only. Waygates are still the solution for castle-to-castle travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SettingSun posted:

Teleporters are in-castle only. Waygates are still the solution for castle-to-castle travel.

Yeah but I wanted to be able to just set up a base somewhere that I can teleport resources from lol

ah well, so it goes

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

zoux posted:

Is there just zero mod scene for this game? I they have pages on nexus and thunderstore, but they haven't been updated in months. Is there another site?

there's a discord for it that had stuff updating more recent than that, havent looked at it since the megapatch drop

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

zoux posted:

Is there just zero mod scene for this game? I they have pages on nexus and thunderstore, but they haven't been updated in months. Is there another site?

There probably aren't a whole lot of mods because almost everything can be customized within the game settings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gadzuko posted:

There probably aren't a whole lot of mods because almost everything can be customized within the game settings.

I want an auto sort to storage mod!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

I want an auto sort to storage mod!

what would this do that the compulsively count button wouldn't?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I do not remember Dunley being this challenging. These fire attacks the militia have are stupidly dangerous. And I don’t remember them having this many of them either.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

IcePhoenix posted:

what would this do that the compulsively count button wouldn't?

Apparently Terraria and probably other games have a button you press that basically acts as a compulsively count button for every box in your house. Definitely would be a nice feature to have so I don't have to run between different rooms to empty my pockets (or my servant's pockets).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In Terraria it works for boxes within your immediate vicinity, which would be a good addition to this game.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I do not remember Dunley being this challenging. These fire attacks the militia have are stupidly dangerous. And I don’t remember them having this many of them either.

Fire sucks and it has always sucked. I don't leave without fire resistance potions now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Countblanc posted:

Apparently Terraria and probably other games have a button you press that basically acts as a compulsively count button for every box in your house. Definitely would be a nice feature to have so I don't have to run between different rooms to empty my pockets (or my servant's pockets).

Grounded has the best native version of this, you can "compulsively count" into all storage instead of going box to box, like you say, but more importantly, you can craft from storage. There's a limit on it so you can't just craft or store from anywhere, you still have to think about your set up, but it's such a qol improvement. There's a mod for Raft with an even better sort system because you can do the V-rising style autosort or you can specify exactly what items you want in each box.

You waste so much time running back and forth because you are one leather short, it's a huge nuisance that these systems just get rid of.

e: I will also accept "being able to split stacks into different sizes"

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 25, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I bet the modding scene will grow when the game is closer to or after it's fully released. Systems are up in the air in early access so it's probably going to be limited until the community knows things are pretty set.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lightning in the northern Gloomrot is nasty. There are two places where you need to charge batteries for things, and in both these places the lightning strikes relentlessly. You can't go two steps or even stop for moment to do anything because the lightning is constant.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SettingSun posted:

Fire sucks and it has always sucked. I don't leave without fire resistance potions now.

i allude to it in the OP but i honestly adore how dangerous just being out in the world is between fire, the sun, wandering bosses or weirdly strong packs of enemies, the game often requiring you to go into areas just barely above your gear level, etc.. it makes doing what are otherwise very mundane activities like traveling long distances or gathering ore often pretty exciting

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'd expect the whole PVP multiplayer structure also makes modding a fair bit more challenging. If you're only modding the client side, you're mostly limited to various visual changes and maybe a little bit of automation based on whatever information is available to the client. But stuff like what chests you can access from where likely involves some server-side interaction (if only to prevent you from yoinking other players' stuff from across the map), which would be a bit trickier to include.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The endgame is finally upon me. Just have to take out the shardbearers. There's a separate tab for them in the v blood menu, and in there it recommends to fight them in teams of at least 3. Fools. Every boss in the game scales nearly out of control after 2 players. Love to have Pelora summon 8 butterflies that can heal her, all at once.

The new magic weapon and related jewel systems are very rad, by the way. Not everyone will be into Diablo-style semi-random affixes for their gear but I think it's very cool. I have one for the Spirit Wolf spell where, among other things, the wolf will bounce back to me and heal me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's a bug right now that makes you unable to revive your servants if they die so probably best not to send them on missions where that can happen unless you're fine with losing them until it's fixed.

You also can't just terminate the coffin to replace them, either.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That must be a bug introduced today. I had no problem rezzing a servant dead from a risky mission yesterday. I usually wait until it's a 100% chance anyway and now I absolutely will.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I sunk a few hours into this when it came out and liked it but kinda fell off. Saw the buzz about the update, restarted in a private game with some of the suggested settings to speed up progression, and man I'm having a blast. Usually I'm hesitant to mess around with custom game settings but it really makes a solo experience here so much smoother

edit: what unlocks the ability to slot in jewels and alter your spells? found one I really wanna use

goferchan fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 25, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

goferchan posted:

edit: what unlocks the ability to slot in jewels and alter your spells? found one I really wanna use

You just have to find one. Right click it to slot it into your spells.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I'm having trouble editing the settings for my private single player server. At first, I tried editing the json file located in C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Stunlock Studios\VRising\ServerSettingsPresets, but that didn't seem to be doing anything.

I also tried editing ServerGameSettings.json in CloudSaves\[long number string]\v2\[long string], but that also doesn't seem to work. I noticed that I did at first make an error in the second json file, which prevented me from loading the server. Fixing the error allowed me to play again, but the settings still seem to not be doing anything.

I'm trying to make a few edits to make boss fights easier, specifically things like player max health, damage received, physical and spell power, and boss health and power. All the guides I've used are from before the Gloomrot update, so maybe they changed something?

I really like the game, but I am tired of getting overly frustrated with the boss fights.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are you resetting the server after you make the changes?

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

I haven't been doing that, no. Maybe that's the problem. Is there a way to do that without losing my castle?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I haven't been doing that, no. Maybe that's the problem. Is there a way to do that without losing my castle?

resetting was the wrong word probably, you just shut down the server and then turn it back on

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Sorry, I should have specified, it isn't a dedicated server. In that case, doesn't closing the game turn the server off?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I found out that even for pvp, blood rage + power surge, while sounds idiotic in theory cause you have no source of full damage blocking or offensive spells, is actually really strong. And you can roll a weak shield (up to 90% spellpower) on both through skill jewels, and a self dispel on power surge, and fading snare on blood rage. With all of that it's nearly impossible for someone to get away if you are on top of them. I like using the storm dash too since it can roll a ministun and further increases your attack speed.

Barriers, shields, poke spells and counters sound like a requirement for pvp but turns out moving more than twice as fast as every other player is actually insane. Get ganked? Swap to slashers and add another 25% haste AND invisibility on top of the other bullshit. Cya

And power surge can be cast on friendlies, blood rage is an aoe buff, which really helps seal the deal for me. Had a blast pvping with this build so far and lets you farm really easily too.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I'm having trouble editing the settings for my private single player server. At first, I tried editing the json file located in C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Stunlock Studios\VRising\ServerSettingsPresets, but that didn't seem to be doing anything.

I also tried editing ServerGameSettings.json in CloudSaves\[long number string]\v2\[long string], but that also doesn't seem to work. I noticed that I did at first make an error in the second json file, which prevented me from loading the server. Fixing the error allowed me to play again, but the settings still seem to not be doing anything.

I'm trying to make a few edits to make boss fights easier, specifically things like player max health, damage received, physical and spell power, and boss health and power. All the guides I've used are from before the Gloomrot update, so maybe they changed something?

I really like the game, but I am tired of getting overly frustrated with the boss fights.

That second file is the one you want to edit for sure. One thing to note is that the file doesn't have entries for some things if they're left at the default value, so you may need to add lines. The other thing is that the vampire stat modifiers only change the base stats, so your starting stats without any gear. Depending on how far you are into your game, the difference may not be all that notable if you're just doubling the stats. If you want to truly double your health pool, for example, you'll also want to set the equipment health value to 2.0, so it doubles both your base health and any health acquired from gear.

Edit: As long as you exit the game and restart any changes to that file should effect the game. I've even made modifications to the file with the game open prior to loading the save, and it worked.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 26, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I found out that even for pvp, blood rage + power surge, while sounds idiotic in theory cause you have no source of full damage blocking or offensive spells, is actually really strong. And you can roll a weak shield (up to 90% spellpower) on both through skill jewels, and a self dispel on power surge, and fading snare on blood rage. With all of that it's nearly impossible for someone to get away if you are on top of them. I like using the storm dash too since it can roll a ministun and further increases your attack speed.

Barriers, shields, poke spells and counters sound like a requirement for pvp but turns out moving more than twice as fast as every other player is actually insane. Get ganked? Swap to slashers and add another 25% haste AND invisibility on top of the other bullshit. Cya

And power surge can be cast on friendlies, blood rage is an aoe buff, which really helps seal the deal for me. Had a blast pvping with this build so far and lets you farm really easily too.

Last time I played I was a big fan of the buffs and healing, yeah, I could just play frame perfect 100% of the time and counter/dodge everything thrown at me, or I could just negate the majority of the damage that comes my way and heal up at the first sign of health damage taken and just let the weapon skills do the talking.

Question about spell jewels, do they drop in full loot pvp?

Also some googling around and I found this list of all the spell jewel effects if that interests anyone, the wiki was no help.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NG-vM4FpJka4ZaK7EJtCUti_JfxEELroDewJnZ-mFJU/edit#gid=0

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 26, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Last time I played I was a big fan of the buffs and healing, yeah, I could just play frame perfect 100% of the time and counter/dodge everything thrown at me, or I could just negate the majority of the damage that comes my way and heal up at the first sign of health damage taken and just let the weapon skills do the talking.

Question about spell jewels, do they drop in full loot pvp?

Also some googling around and I found this list of all the spell jewel effects if that interests anyone, the wiki was no help.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NG-vM4FpJka4ZaK7EJtCUti_JfxEELroDewJnZ-mFJU/edit#gid=0

Wow that is way more than I expected. What a cool system, one of the things I didn't like at launch was skill sets feeling samey

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine the spell jewels and added value to more materials will probably make servers last a little longer before being abandoned.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

bobtheconqueror posted:

That second file is the one you want to edit for sure. One thing to note is that the file doesn't have entries for some things if they're left at the default value, so you may need to add lines. The other thing is that the vampire stat modifiers only change the base stats, so your starting stats without any gear. Depending on how far you are into your game, the difference may not be all that notable if you're just doubling the stats. If you want to truly double your health pool, for example, you'll also want to set the equipment health value to 2.0, so it doubles both your base health and any health acquired from gear.

Edit: As long as you exit the game and restart any changes to that file should effect the game. I've even made modifications to the file with the game open prior to loading the save, and it worked.

Okay, that explains a lot, actually. I'll try editing the equipment health value, and see what happens. It seems like I did make some of the bosses slightly easier, but my health wasn't going up with the vampire stat modifier. Although, I did somehow reduce the amount of healing I receive from the blood heal ability. Not game breaking, but annoying. Hopefully I can fix that. Thanks to you, and also to IcePhoenix, for the help.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

https://vrisingmods.com/ is the website for the discord I was thinking of, though not much is updated for gloomrot yet it seems -- tho i'd guess some of the simpler ones like the teleport commands and stuff the Dojo/Duel server uses probably still work or would just need minor tweaks?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I'd be happy with a mod that added some more visible cooldown timers for spells and abilities.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Game needs a map/level editor.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jackard posted:

Game needs a map/level editor.

I'd be happy with like a semi procedural map generation, where the zones could be in a few different configurations with hotspots having a variety of potential configurations. It would make for the sort of seasonal nature these games tend to have to be even more fresh with every wipe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is this game kinda hard or am I just bad

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

zoux posted:

Is this game kinda hard or am I just bad

Some of the bosses are really difficult to solo for sure, especially depending on your playstyle and preferred weapons. I think there's a design expectation that you'll learn the bosses and then customize your spell/weapon loadout for them, especially since you can change spells on the fly.

Edit: The fairly limited healing in combat is part of the difficulty imo. There's a few bosses like frostmaw that have very tough attacks to dodge, so those are some of the hardest ones for me. This patch added a few more combat heal sources, but it's all based on leech so it gives more sustain but you can't really ever outheal the damage being sent if you aren't dodging.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 27, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Edit: The fairly limited healing in combat is part of the difficulty imo. There's a few bosses like frostmaw that have very tough attacks to dodge, so those are some of the hardest ones for me. This patch added a few more combat heal sources, but it's all based on leech so it gives more sustain but you can't really ever outheal the damage being sent if you aren't dodging.

Ah ok, I felt like I was missing a recipe or something.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There's also an upgrade for the spirit wolf spell that makes the wolf come back and heal you for your spell power in HP (so about 10-20 around Dunley). I basically haven't unequipped that spell ever since, the healing really does add up across prolonged fights, and it does decent group damage to boot.

But yeah, if you're solo, you generally need to be very defensive against bosses since you usually plain can't outdamage them in a straight brawl. Do make sure not to forget your weapon's abilities, e.g. the Scythe's thing where it spins in place does extremely good damage against mostly stationary bosses, leaving you free to take a more defensive spell-setup.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Perestroika posted:

There's also an upgrade for the spirit wolf spell that makes the wolf come back and heal you for your spell power in HP (so about 10-20 around Dunley). I basically haven't unequipped that spell ever since, the healing really does add up across prolonged fights, and it does decent group damage to boot.

But yeah, if you're solo, you generally need to be very defensive against bosses since you usually plain can't outdamage them in a straight brawl. Do make sure not to forget your weapon's abilities, e.g. the Scythe's thing where it spins in place does extremely good damage against mostly stationary bosses, leaving you free to take a more defensive spell-setup.

Sanguine coil has a similar gem buff, and that one heals you to start with. It's been welded to my R button ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sanguine coil was a mainstay for me pre-patch, and now it's actually not obviously stupid to do so now that chaos bolt has been toned down!