Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
so what's the best way to relocate a castle? what are my options here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

if you're playing solo or on a server you can change the settings to and don't mind disabling teleport bound items for a bit, i'd make a portal at the place you want your new castle and just ferry everything that way. otherwise it's a lot of hoofing it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Some kind of caravan system for mass transport would be cool and maybe enable some interesting PVP moments

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah right now you can only put in the work and manually move stuff to your new spot.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Lord. A caravan of all your sub-shard goods that you (and clan mates) need to defend on its journey to the new castle heart would be epic.

Maybe a call out the way Siege Golems are called out? Harsh, but it's ALL yo poo poo.

I can't do pvp (my reflexes suuuuuck) but that is a cool rear end idea.

By the by. Because I got my rear end absolutely handed to me I am currently running a dedicated server in on my own machine at home and while the game is absolutely designed for pvp, it's kinda cool to be alone in that "the lone vampire has risen and seeks to dominate Vardaran" sorta way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

it's certainly got less staying power solo but I'm still going to end up with like 60 hours in this run before I decide I'm done (diablo launches) and I might drop in and out to optimize servants or play with my castle because why not

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
The mechanic to make upper floors definitely has some kinks to work out. You can't move stairs unless you take down every wall and pillar adjacent to it on both floors. The benefit is that it lets you screw with the game - I managed to convince it that my top floor was "outside" by adding and removing balconies and stair placements. So now I have a teleporter, fountain, and tomb in my top floor throne room. The only thing I can't build there is a garden because it requires dirt.

I also built a huge shaft to jump down from the top to the ground level, but I assume that's working as intended. I'm going to have fun building impossible structures, like a giant sky castle supported by a single 1x1 square.

The main bug they didn't fix is the menu still telling you everything you've unlocked is "new" no matter how long you've had it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't believe that first thing is actually a bug. When they reworked the castle territory system they eliminated floor requirements for almost everything. So you can put your waygate indoors and also your starting wood coffin. And the upper floors of castles will be outside anyway if you don't enclose them with walls. You can put growing plots wherever in any part of your claimed territory, even indoors or outside on the 'rough' ground, for gardening. If you wanted an upper level garden you can put down the manicured grass flooring from Pelora. It looks pretty good actually in rooftop gardens.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Needing to tear down surrounding walls and pillars to move a stair kind of sucks as does not being able to put stairs next to each other. And I'd kill for a true switchback stair.

Is the pointed arch window frame the only type in the game? Multiple stories of stacked windows looks silly. I have a couple things left to unlock in the Athenaeum and hoping against hope that there are rectangular windows in there.

And let us move and rotate garden plots with stuff growing on them, or at the very least the large ones with a tree on it. Kind of a bummer to design something and have a tree grow up and clip through a street lamp.

But that's all nitpicky stuff - I'm having a blast with the true endgame: designing a cool castle. Solarus can wait in his dumb room!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Did they lower the spawn rate of workers in cocoons in the spider cave or have I just been getting really bad luck? I decided to try and get one with 50% or better blood for ghost crystal farming but the last three times I went in I ended up with two, zero, and one. Including the boss lair.

e: I've only got one more boss to kill and it's the one behind the electrified doors and good god this dude is a pain in the rear end. Got him down to 25% after his revive on my best attempt but there's just so much poo poo flying around I don't know what to do other than maybe try and blitz him and hope I can burst him down before he kills me because my normal strategy of playing it safe and poking at openings is probably not going to work

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 30, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I still idly read the steam forums for laughs and one of the new topics is about the ethics of destroying decaying castles, which is free and can be done even in pve. A lot of people consider it rude and on some private servers a bannable offense. That's interesting to me because that looks like these players are willfully missing the point of the castle decay system. A decayed castle is an abandoned one, and through that mechanic the game invites players to deal with it as a form of recycling. In any case I will never not destroy them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's always morally correct.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

SettingSun posted:

I don't believe that first thing is actually a bug. When they reworked the castle territory system they eliminated floor requirements for almost everything. So you can put your waygate indoors and also your starting wood coffin. And the upper floors of castles will be outside anyway if you don't enclose them with walls. You can put growing plots wherever in any part of your claimed territory, even indoors or outside on the 'rough' ground, for gardening. If you wanted an upper level garden you can put down the manicured grass flooring from Pelora. It looks pretty good actually in rooftop gardens.
I've got walls around every floor, but when I initially placed the water well they required it outside, so some things do still require that. [edit] Or not, I guess I can just do it anywhere now. Maybe just the initial quest asks for it.

Is there a new ideal place to build now? I'll probably destroy/deliberately decay my starting castle just because I only built it to test what I could do in the new patch, but now I want something more central.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 31, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you’re not playing privately with free teleporting, you can’t beat a plot in (northern) Dunley. If you are freeporting then it’s wherever you find most appealing. Maybe not the cursed forest though, as castles don’t shield you from the curse effect.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

its only ethically wrong if the decaying castle is clearly pretty with thought put into it, in which case it should be turned into a public museum (after having the copper wiring stripped)

e. I have always been a big fan of public gardens too, so any decaying castle with a nice botanical section should be kept around

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

My one big weakness in castle building is that I can only accept plateaus that have a nice centered entrance. My castle simply must have a grand central entrance hall, and it absolutely must be in line with the plateau's ramp. :colbert:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 31, 2023

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Perestroika posted:

My one big weakness in castle building is that I can only accept plateaus who have a nice centered entrance. My castle simply must have a grand central entrance hall, and it absolutely must be in line with the plateau's ramp. :colbert:

I'm like this but my current space has three ramps and I WILL make grand entrances for all of them.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

SettingSun posted:

If you’re not playing privately with free teleporting, you can’t beat a plot in (northern) Dunley. If you are freeporting then it’s wherever you find most appealing. Maybe not the cursed forest though, as castles don’t shield you from the curse effect.
Yeah, I grabbed a spot just north of the Dunley Farmers Market.

I might move to the space immediately west of it on the water though; I get why they did this for PVP to prevent griefing, but having to make a heart for each tier in PVE isn't great when you only have a max of 5. I hope they expand that. My old 3-tiered castle pre-patch had such a nice flow to it, though I guess I can replicate that with floors and stairs now if I have a big enough plateau.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I had a lot of fun with this game, but it sounds like the endgame for solo play is pretty much non-existent. Do we know if they intend on improving that, I set it aside for now so I don't burn myself out on it before there's an endgame.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The devs are pretty tight lipped about what's on the horizon. We only really know definitively that there are two more big updates planned. Personally I feel that despite the social daily play the game projects it's perfectly fine of a game to beat all the bosses, get your castle the way you like, then put it down. Obviously I love this game, but that doesn't mean I need to play it every day.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bonk posted:

The mechanic to make upper floors definitely has some kinks to work out. You can't move stairs unless you take down every wall and pillar adjacent to it on both floors.
It's not every adjacent structure, only the ones that depend on the stairs as a foundation.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I gave the Veil of Storm/Power Surge/Blood Rage build with a greatsword a try and it’s a lot of fun, though not invincible. With no bulwark type spell and just absorb shields from jewels, it’s still possible to get overwhelmed by incoming damage especially if you can’t stay stuck in to leech with melee hits.

But it’s a nice change of pace from the “stay at range, use skellies” playstyle and you move so, so fast.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

This Duke of Balaton frog is going to make me throw my computer into the trash.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Skip em and save it for when you’re overleveled. Frog form has no use.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

wrong, frog form is great for griefing poorly built bases when you can only use a horse to jump one level. Also for hopping over ponds while fishing

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Anyone else spent several hours making a cool twisty hedge maze, or are you a functional person?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Definitely. I’m a big fan of all the new garden decorations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My GF and I are looking to play some MP. How is this game in general? Steam reviews seem mixed but I like the overall concept.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My favorite survival game by a lot. Highly recommend if you like vampires and building castlevania castles.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Looking at the negative reviews, many are based on out of date things (blocking portions of the map, no updates). Not to say the game is perfect now but I still think it has just phenomenal gamefeel and controls compared to its peers. It's also very cheap so I think the risk is pretty low, even at launch I think it was a great value and now it's even better. The big 1.0 patch is coming in Q2 this year which will almost definitely have a price bump.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
d r a c u l a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBEIFTreqdY

1.0 on may 8th, PS5 on [unannounced date later this year]

also for anyone who missed it, Stunlock Studios is part of the iii-initiative, which is some new group thing some of the more prominent indie devs are joining up for (slay the spire, vampire survivors [funny], darkest dungeon, some others).

https://iii-initiative.com/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My body will be ready.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Do we know what is coming besides a spell overhaul, shards turned into amulets, being able to move castles easier, hallowed mountain finished and the big D?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 13, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A few things:

- Gear sets for each of the existing tiers of gear (or at least most of them?), which basically act as pseudo classes. iirc it's Soldier (defensive), Warrior (brute), Rogue (sneaky guy), and Scholar (caster), though I don't know what attributes will be altered for each set yet.

- I'm pretty positive they mentioned new weapon(s) but I don't want to go digging through posts for it

- Clan-wide passive buffs based on the different spell schools.

- Some sort of endgame resource activity (grind? pvp skirmish? just a gather node? unknown) which is required for fuel for the above clan buffs and presumably other things.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

oh hell yeah can't wait to fight the big boy. do we know if they're finally adding the mountain region in 1.0 or if that's still a For Future Release thing?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One of the devblog things I dug up talked a lot about the mountains and a new faction there, so I imagine they will be finished for release.

Main thing I'm looking forward to (and that I wanted them to implement ever since I first played) and I think will vastly increase the replayability for people who play over and over on freshly wiped servers is that bosses will no longer have spell unlocks attached to them, instead you get a tier 1-2-3 spellschool point that you can use to unlock any spell from that school in that tier, no more everyone using the exact same loadout because it's the best of what everyone has available for the first 50% of the game and maybe lightning spells will be available before gloomrot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One of the devblog things I dug up talked a lot about the mountains and a new faction there, so I imagine they will be finished for release.

Main thing I'm looking forward to (and that I wanted them to implement ever since I first played) and I think will vastly increase the replayability for people who play over and over on freshly wiped servers is that bosses will no longer have spell unlocks attached to them, instead you get a tier 1-2-3 spellschool point that you can use to unlock any spell from that school in that tier, no more everyone using the exact same loadout because it's the best of what everyone has available for the first 50% of the game and maybe lightning spells will be available before gloomrot.

Yeah I think that's a great change (though I wonder what it'll mean for servers that already have randomized skills, maybe randomized spellschool points?). Especially for Lightning and Ultimates, we've suffered under the tyranny of Merciless Charge for too long.

Unrelated, does anyone know a good source for general info for this game? I'd like to have something to link for the 1.0 thread when I write that up and I'd rather avoid using a fandom wiki if possible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't think this will create the variety that you/they expect. People are just going to be rushing the most powerful/meta spells faster instead of needing to get to a specific boss for it now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It will be VERY cool first week before the meta settles in but yeah; if there's a best something it will be used and likely required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I get what you mean, but I think that also assumes players all use exclusively the best option available. It's not like people exclusively played the best possible comp 100% of the time in Battlerite, people have favorites for a variety of reasons (one of which is Power but it's not the only one) and I think this is a good way to open up that decision space. If nothing else it gives options to make repeated plays more diverse - I don't have control over what other players pick generally, but it'll be nice having more options for me to mess around with going through the game.

e: plus they've done a good job bringing the Best and Worst options much closer together. I don't think it's a big problem if the Best Option just means a 5-7% damage advantage, especially compared to launch Chaos Bolt.