Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I see Dark Souls was inspired by this game, at least the lead-up to Gwynevere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

By popular demand posted:

Alexandre Dumas was an amazingly interesting character IRL and I hope they do more with him than this.

Ugly guy, tho.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Not so much in his younger days. He did let himself go when he started getting older. Much like myself.

Speak for yourself, I was never good looking in the first place!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I had spent a long time writing out a post about a delay in the next update because the game had become softlocked but it turns out that I'm a dumbass that can't read. I've spent so long on this reply screen I felt like not posting something would be an even bigger waste of time but here I am spending time typing out and posting a none-update.

I am planning to record another update tomorrow. Tonight's practise run went way off course (edit: and by an extra half an hour) due to perceived progress issues so it's going to be a fun session.

Take your time, chief, you're not OBLIGATED to upload at a regular schedule.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Lots and lots and... ugh... lots of background chatter!

I mean, I get what they were trying for, but by God, that was pretty obnoxious - even by my standards!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Woof, that wax-knife-key puzzle.

That's taking the mickey proper, like.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dang yo, that's thorough.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That was pleasantly silly. A shame it wasn't better known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Red Mike posted:

Just to wrap up and say a thank you (and a drat you) for getting my head stuck on this project for a couple weeks, I've now achieved the goal I set out to initially:

https://i.imgur.com/wXhXPoa.gifv

This is running in the actual Touche engine, just by replacing the TOUCHE.DAT file with a new one. In fact, here's a link to my custom one. All it sets up is the background (a modified screenshot from the Princess Bride movie), the two sprites with their stock animations (from the original game for convenience), a couple points for positioning and the strings, and then a program that just makes the sprites act it out about as far as the GIF shows. Honestly even for this little I'm surprised at how little it really took to wire it up, the game engine is honestly not bad. If anything lets it down, it's the animation system being very clearly a last-minute bodge.

The only big outstanding thing I haven't touched is the conversation system, but from a skim it just looks like more of the same, so it's just a matter of working out the right patterns for things. Obviously there's no actual gameplay yet, but that's mostly because putting all the right data in (hitboxes, areas, walk routes, etc) is a lot of manual work at this stage; writing tooling to do it automatically will honestly be less work, but I don't know that I'll take it that far. At the very least I'll clean up what I have and push it up into the repository in the next few days.

So thanks for the nostalgia trip with the LP and then the two weeks of productive procrastination!

Holy-!