Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks for this thread! I have a lot of memories of Wizard, and they probably mirror yours pretty closely, though I didn't have anywhere near this collection. Since I'm not doing anything, I've decided I'm going to do a thing along with this:

Wizard's Top 10: Where Are They Now??

These were the hottest books as determined by Wizard Magazine, so they must still be very valuable, right? Let's see what Ebay in 2022 has to say about that!

Issue 1, September 1991:

#1: X-Force #1 (first issue of a popular series, obviously): I can't find any recently completed auctions that actually sold. A sealed copy with a Shatterstar card didn't sell with a $9 BIN. Let's call this one QUARTER BIN FODDER (there was a bunch of different cards, and I believe the Deadpool one was the most desirable, and that probably is still the case)
#2: Uncanny X-Men #248 (first Jim Lee penciled issue): $4.50
#3: Silver Surfer #50 (cool embossed cover, lead-in to Infinity Gauntlet): $9.99
#4: X-Factor #63 (first Wilce Portacio penciled issue): Can't find a solo sale, but it sold along with #64-65 for $7. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#5: Spider-Man #1 (platinum) (chase cover for top-selling comic book of all time for a few months): $564 unslabbed! This was a good pick! Somewhat strangely, a slabbed 9.0 sold shortly after for $586, so either someone got a deal, or someone got hosed.
#6: New Mutants #87 (first appearance of Cable): A slabbed 8.5 copy sold for somewhere less than $140 (best offer accepted). A slabbed 9.8 sold for $675. We'll call this a good pick by Wizard.
#7: Silver Surfer #34 (Jim Starlins debuts as writer, Thanos returns from the dead): $10 unslabbed. Slabbed copies seem all over the place. Probably not a great pick.
#8: Ghost Rider #15 (Ghost Rider vs. Johnny Blaze, cool glow in the dark cover): Only actual sale I can find is part of a lot including 25 total comics. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9: New Teen Titans #2 (first appearance of Deathstroke): Slabbed 9.0 for $259. I can't find any unslabbed sales. Good pick!
#10: New Mutants #100 (final issue, first appearance of X-Force): Slabbed 9.6 for $48. Bad pick!

Issue 2, October 1991:

(From here on out I will only include comics they didn't previously list)

#1: X-Men #1 (#1 selling comic of all time, gatefold cover): A slabbed 9.8 sold for under $129, and another seller sold 10 unslabbed copies for $200. We'll call this a mediocre pick.
#3: Uncanny X-Men #281 (new team with Wilce Portacio art): $5.50 by itself, but there's some other copies selling for even less as part of lots. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9: New Warriors #1 (new teen team. Teen teams are cool, right?): Slabbed copy under $72, on unslabbed sale for $10. Bad pick!
#10: X-Factor #71 (new team, new creative team of Peter David and Larry Stroman): lots of two in near mint sold for a cool buck. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 3, November 1991:

#9: Infinity Gauntlet #1 (first issue of a hot miniseries): Slabbed 9.4 under $109, unslabbed $16.50. Mediocre pick here

Issue 4, December 1991:

#1: Robin: Joker's Wild #1 (Five covers! Holograms! What's it about? Who cares!): One copy sold under $5. Best I can tell you can't give this away. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#8: X-Factor #24 (first full appearance of Archangel): Slabbed 9.8 for $282, unslabbed for $22. Not a bad pick
#9: Uncanny X-Men #282 (first appearance of Bishop): Unslabbed copy under $20, slabbed 9.6 for $96. Mediocre pick.
#10: Magnus: Robot Fighter #1 (first modern appearance of Magnus): Issues 1-3 sold in a lot for $4. That's close enough to QUARTER BIN FODDER to me.

Haha, I was doing this too. There's definitely some books that I see that I know still have value (X-Men 266 is still a great pick) but others where I was looking at it like "does anyone still care about this?" and turns out most of the time, NOPE!

This is an awesome thread full of awesome memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The print runs on those comics in that era were ridiculous, I think the only reason why some of those books retained their value was either due to artificial scarcity (the platinum Spider-Man issue that was a retailer incentive if they ordered a poo poo load of the regular book) or books that were under the radar and “only” had a print run in the 10s of thousands instead of 100,000.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I don't think I knew anything about Morrison at the time, and so for years this picture from the JLA special was the image of them that came to mind:

Morrison's not bald yet!!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ruddiger posted:

The print runs on those comics in that era were ridiculous, I think the only reason why some of those books retained their value was either due to artificial scarcity (the platinum Spider-Man issue that was a retailer incentive if they ordered a poo poo load of the regular book) or books that were under the radar and “only” had a print run in the 10s of thousands instead of 100,000.
Oh definitely. It would be interesting to see what Wizard's price guides at the time said and chart prices with time, but I'm not going to put that much effort into this. Like Dawgstar said, they were definitely priming the pump. I know at one point I actually bought an issue of Green Lantern because Wizard told me it was valuable (it was a one-off issue between Reign of the Supermen where Coast City was destroyed and Emerald Twilight that featured Green Arrow).

Anyway, to finish off the issues X-O has posted:

These were the hottest books as determined by Wizard Magazine, so they must still be very valuable, right? Let's see what Ebay in 2022 has to say about that!

Issue 5, January 1992

#8: Uncanny X-Men #201 (Wilce Portacio's first work on an X-Book, first appearance of Baby Cable (though this was only speculation at the time)....and Wizard covered it last month :thunk:): Price range heavily depending on condition - I'm seeing anywhere from $8 in a lot to $39 on its own. Average around $15. Gonna call this one a mediocre pick.
#10: Uncanny X-Men #266 (it not Wizard, it Gambit): Unslabbed copies are around $150 and slabbed 9+ can reach double that. Great pick by Wizard here

Issue 6, February 1992

ALL MUTANTS ALL THE TIME! Nothing new on this list at all. Couldn't even find a Valiant book or something to push smh

Issue 7, March 1992

Actually I said "No, MORE mutants!"

#8: Uncanny X-Men #268 (Jim Lee's first issue as "regular" artist. And Captain America, who was definitely popping sales in 1992): I can't really get a handle on this. I'm seeing sold prices anywhere from $4.50 up $43 unslabbed. Slabbed copies are similarly all over the place. We'll call this a good pick.

Once again, everything else is X-books we've seen before

Lol that the magazine gave Flash, a character with decades of history about 2.5 times the writing (and only twice the pages) of X-O Manowar who had less than a year.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 15, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #8 April 1992

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Bishop The Future's Hottest X-Man (Nope.)

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Fan Art!

The Top 10

Random Ads

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike I will not hesitate to stare at your post in disgust if you call my boy Darkhawk's book a bad investment choice. Someday!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Endless Mike I will not hesitate to stare at your post in disgust if you call my boy Darkhawk's book a bad investment choice. Someday!
Don't worry, you're getting a bit of a reprieve. I'm gonna let you post a few issues at a time and do them all at once.

Also I think Bishop has about eight months of publishing history at the time this issue came out. Uncanny #282 had a cover date of November 1991, which means it came out a couple months earlier. He *may* have shot a pie by this point.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cripes, I'd completely forgotten Sarah Byam. I may still have those Black Canary books in a box somewhere.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #9 May 1992

Cover

Contents

Wizard News Holy poo poo look at those Marvel 2093 designs! Also 2093? C'mon. Thank goodness someone had the balls to push it up six years.

Venom

Article of Note This is the one that is very "of Note" as this article set things in motion that would make Wizard a must read for years.

Article of Note

Article of Note

Fan Art!

The Top 10

Random Ads

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Insane to think that Wizard actually pre-dates Image Comics.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Insane to think that Wizard actually pre-dates Image Comics.

It's interesting to think of whether Image Comics would have succeeded without Wizard. Because however hard Wizard is shilling for Valiant in the previous write-ups, they raise the loving bar beyond the moon as soon as they see Image. I mean, yeah, it probably would have been fine because of the talent involved, but Wizard definitely had a hand in the hype. I remember them endlessly fawning over that one ultra-delayed Image comic (Wetworks?) for literal years before it came out.

Also, I forgot that Image was originally a Malibu imprint,

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's interesting to think of whether Image Comics would have succeeded without Wizard. Because however hard Wizard is shilling for Valiant in the previous write-ups, they raise the loving bar beyond the moon as soon as they see Image. I mean, yeah, it probably would have been fine because of the talent involved, but Wizard definitely had a hand in the hype. I remember them endlessly fawning over that one ultra-delayed Image comic (Wetworks?) for literal years before it came out.

Also, I forgot that Image was originally a Malibu imprint,

EDIT: Previously I had written a joke about Wetworks being infinitely delayed and now having actually done a search and seeing why I feel sorry I joked about it. Real life issues take precedent over comic books and what happened is a sad and very relatable story. I wouldn't have wanted to work on comic books at the time either.

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 9, 2022

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The little paragraph flowing from one page to the other here on the symbiote's motivations was always lowkey my favoured interpretation of the alien half of Venom, given at that point it had been creepy and clingy but not a cannibal murdermonster that used up hosts and threw them away, and also spider-man's first reaction on learning it was alive was "AAAAAAAAAAAAAH GET IT OFF ME GET IT AWAY FROM ME." Liked the idea that the particular assholery that typified people wearing alien goomonsteries was a case of the humans being obsessive jerks influencing the suits, which then amplified it right back into them in a sad little feedback loop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #10 June 1992

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Youngblood

Cable

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes Learn to draw! Kind of.

Fan Art!

Gratuitous Nonsense That Probably Shouldn't Be Posted.

Top 10 Heroes and Villains

The Top 10

Random Ads

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm actually shocked they didn't pick New Mutants #98 as a hot comic in a month where Deadpool is on the cover.

Also LMFAO at ultra-buff Booster.

Are you planning to post the full scans anywhere? I may have missed that.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
That’s the first issue I have in my collection!

And awesome ad for the great Heroescon! They haven’t changed the logo in 30 years!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

In my opinion this was the first issue that really felt like it had the formula of the Wizard I knew and remembered. It's still a work in progress but the framework is showing in this issue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Robin III on the way!'

Don't you threaten me. :colbert:

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I had totally forgotten about Wizard until seeing this thread and, for some reason, it made me instantly nostalgic for pre-internet comic book stores.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #11 July 1992 (This is one of the least noteworthy issues for me. No really good articles at all.)

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Spawn

Spider-Man

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

The Top 10

Random Ads

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Seeing that news item about Adventure Comics’ The Bat made me very curious about it. The first issue even says on the cover: “One of the original sources that inspired BATMAN!” There was only one issue, wonder why…

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Toddster posted:

"To tell you the truth, because of the success that I have gotten, I've got more sympathy to the people that are in a successful position."

And that's why Image doesn't have a union.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #11 July 1992 (This is one of the least noteworthy issues for me. No really good articles at all.)

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Spawn

Spider-Man

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

The Top 10

Random Ads

Could the young Jason Bone in the fan-art section possibly be J. Bone, the Canadian cartoonist most recently of the DC Pride Special's Kevin Conroy story? 18 in 1992 feels a little old but it would be neat.

Edit: I've gone ahead and shot him an e-mail-- hopefully I'll hear back with some confirmation or denial!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 10, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m sure most of you guys know but the Cartoonist Kayfabe boys started off their YouTube channel doing flip throughs of Wizard Magazine. I think they’re up to issue 40, but they started flipping through actual comics and art books as they found the Wizard content really sparse and lacking. It’s a great channel and the Wizard flip throughs are full of comic insider stuff since they’re both working professionals in the comic book field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8lIJMKRos

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

How Wonderful! posted:

Could the young Jason Bone in the fan-art section possibly be J. Bone, the Canadian cartoonist most recently of the DC Pride Special's Kevin Conroy story? 18 in 1992 feels a little old but it would be neat.

Edit: I've gone ahead and shot him an e-mail-- hopefully I'll hear back with some confirmation or denial!

He got back to me super quickly!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
That’s awesome!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That is super awesome yeah. I wouldn't doubt there's more as well buried in there or in the letter pages. I should probably start posting those too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's awesome! I was actually thinking while looking through the fan art galleries when we'd see our first future artist! Looks like that's been answered.

Issue 8, March 1992

#9: Ghost Rider #1 (first appearance of Dan Ketch Ghost Rider AND Deathwatch!): This is a weird one. There's unslabbed sales ranging from $32-50, and slabbed from $32 to $350 based on condition. This was a pretty good pick!
#10: Darkhawk #1 (first appearance of Darkhawk): $18-20 unslabbed, high-graded slabbed around $300. Obviously a great pick given all the incredibly memorable Darkhawk stories it led to

Issue 9, May 1992

#9: Amazing Spider-Man #361 (first full appearance of Carnage): Unslabbed are ranging from $50-100, with slabbed ones running anywhere from $250-550 depending on condition. This is unsurprisingly a great pick from Wizard

Issue 10, June 1992

#8: Amazing Spider-Man #362 (Carnage....again): Ranges anywhere from $12-25 unslabbed, slabbed copies rarely sell, though a 9.8 got $375. :mediocre:
#9: Harbinger #1 (start of a new series - I think the characters may have technically first appeared elsewhere as this is part of the Unity crossover): There's literally no sales, and hardly any listings. A slabbed 9.4 failed to sell at $70. Gonna call this one QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 11, July 1992

#7: Spectacular Spider-Man #189 (it has a cool hologram cover :geno:): Lots of listings, hardly any sales, all single-digit dollars. Slabbed copies are running less than the cost of grading. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#8: Unity #0 (start of Valiant's first crossover): $1. Unsurprisingly, Valiant is QUARTER BIN FODDER in 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harbingers #1 selling for pocket change now feels a little like vindication. A lot of comic stores don't carry it because of the print run, which is not the same as not having it because people want it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am amazed at how popular Lobo was, judging by the fan art section

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Lobo was pretty big, it was the violent edgy style that was popular back then but always satirical of that too so people that didn't like that stuff could potentially enjoy it too.

I still have the colorform cover of the Lobo vs. Superman issue from back then somewhere.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I completely ignored DC at the time. Even when came back to comics after colllege it was only Vertigo books all the day until One Year Later when I started reading a whole bunch, only to fall off again when Azzarello left Wonder Woman, which was the last of the nu52 I was reading that hadn't been canceled yet.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
We haven't hit any of the issues my brother got, but it's still interesting looking back at this. The Top 10 comics seem to essentially be all X-Men or X-Men related things (with the occasional oddball like Darkhawk and Robin), and so far the Top 10 Heroes/Villains has been all Marvel. I guess it makes sense, a lot of the popularity was probably due to the X-Men cartoon, and I'm not sure but I feel like DC was probably struggling here a little bit? Especially since Marvel (and a few other new comic companies) are filled with edgy/violent heroes/anti-heroes and outside of Batman, I imagine DC at this point with its more traditional heroic superheroes was seen as too kiddy or uninteresting.

Also I'm curious where they got the whole "Deep Space Nine will take place 100 years after TNG" thing in that one article, because as far as I know that comes from absolutely nowhere.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I remember Shi, mainly because of what it was infamous for.

This thread has been an nostalgic trip. Thank you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TV Zombie posted:

I remember Shi, mainly because of what it was infamous for.

What was that? I just remember it being Yet Another 'bad girl' comic. Also fun fact, at my comic store we had an entire box of the Shi/Cyblade comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #12 August 1992

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

WildC.A.T.S.

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

The Top 10

Random Ads

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yay, that's the one.

And now I remember that I bought it specifically for the Batman: TAS article, because I was a much bigger cartoon nerd than comics fan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yay, that's the one.

And now I remember that I bought it specifically for the Batman: TAS article, because I was a much bigger cartoon nerd than comics fan.

That article even has Tim Curry still tapped to play Joker.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Dawgstar posted:

What was that? I just remember it being Yet Another 'bad girl' comic. Also fun fact, at my comic store we had an entire box of the Shi/Cyblade comic.

I think it was purported to be the first comic with a female nude character in it, from a major comic publishing company or at least that’s how I remembered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huh, I think this may have been my first issue, too. I definitely recognize the cover. Anyway, a couple notes:

I'm delcaring August as Image Month in BSS. We will talk about the cool Image comics like WildCATs, Youngblood, and CyberForce.

I'm really curious who Jim Lee and the editor (was it Harras at this point?) decided the X-Men's traitor was. Obviously that didn't get resolved for another several years.

I don't think I knew Tim Curry was tapped for the Joker.

I'm looking forward to when fan art changes to envelope art (when they start having the Q&A's).

I'm glad they used Wolverine's most iconic costume for his appearance in the top 10.