Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #12 August 1992

Cover

Nothing makes me want to try a new book more than showcasing their main character, tiny gremlin in a suit with Mega Man Robot Master hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I haven't read the last three pages. I will when I am at work and have some time to kill and need a good long read. I just want to say thank you so much for doing this, for this service, for taking up the call, answering the bell, and so on and so on. I used to read Wizard cover to cover in the early 2000's and have many fond memories of the frivolous bs in there. This thread has just become my favourite and I haven't even read it yet.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Nothing makes me want to try a new book more than showcasing their main character, tiny gremlin in a suit with Mega Man Robot Master hands.

The dreaded reverse Vulcan salute!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #12 August 1992

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

WildC.A.T.S.

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

Top 10 Heroes and Villains

The Top 10

Random Ads

Peter de Tina is almost certainly the concept artist of the same name. I wasn't familiar with his work beforehand but his style caught my eye so I figured I'd google. He's been working in animation and video games for awhile and you can see a definite throughline from his work now and this 30 year old fanart. So good for him!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I’ve just read the OP, and I want to say — Wizard Magazine was my childhood, so I am very much looking forward to reading ALL of this.

You’re doing the lord’s work, XO.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Jim Lee always seemed like a good guy, that was a nice interview. Lots of good art in the fan art section this month too. That Hulk drawing is great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #13 September 1992

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

The Top 10

Magic Words!

Random Ads

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I need votes yay or nay on the following. Don't go out of your way to vote unless you back up your reasoning. Coming up soon in a few issues they start doing monthly cosplay articles. Do we want to actually unleash these back into the world? Are people ready for content of such a quality like early '90s cosplay? What say you thread readers?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

X-O posted:

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

The Top 10

Magic Words!

Random Ads

I think Chris Battle also went on to a successful career in animation, working on stuff like Ahh! Real Monsters, Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Teen Titans Go and more-- at least the location and the style seem to match up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
#10 MOST POPULAR MORBIUS!!!!

hell yeah most popular character for thirty years, i know he's only going upwards from here

edit: who's the gold robot in the fan art this issue, i do not recognize them

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

X-O posted:

I need votes yay or nay on the following. Don't go out of your way to vote unless you back up your reasoning. Coming up soon in a few issues they start doing monthly cosplay articles. Do we want to actually unleash these back into the world? Are people ready for content of such a quality like early '90s cosplay? What say you thread readers?

LETS GOOOOOOO

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

I think Chris Battle also went on to a successful career in animation, working on stuff like Ahh! Real Monsters, Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Teen Titans Go and more-- at least the location and the style seem to match up.

Please keep doing this. It's very cool to hear that some of these people went on to actually have successful careers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

X-O posted:

I think it would be cool to look back and see that kind of stuff through today's lens. As long as people don't get too mean spirited.

Or less mean spirited than Wizard themselves? I seem to remember a cornucopia of fat jokes at the submitters expense.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

X-O posted:

Wizard understood and the millennium of Morb was upon us and it was Morbin time.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I say yes to the cosplay pics, it should be interesting looking back on how it was done before internet shopping was a thing and it would have been much harder to get what you wanted from local stores. And as was mentioned, Wizard is probably much more harsh on some of the pictures than most posters here would be.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I’m voting yes solely because this was still the era of (for me at least) small cons in failing old school hotels that were also record conventions and quasi-legal to flat out illegal gunshows all in some dilapidated hotel ballroom that was maybe fancy in like 1953 but was just musty red velour curtains and carpet straight out of the Shining (this was south Texas). I don’t remember cosplay being a thing, at least not as we think of it today, and I’m honestly curious as to what it looked like in ‘92 or whenever it starts up. I’m guessing it’s more a “booth-babe” thing that early? And yeah, I’m sure it’s gonna be some real lovely misogynistic/homophonic crap but in addition to chronicling it I think it’d be interesting to have the dude bro reactions from the time. I didn’t think cosplay really took off til like the mid 2000’s, I don’t really remember it being called that or being a thing separate from say Trekkies dressing up at Trek conventions

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #14 October 1992

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

MIA this issue for some reason.Weird.

The Top 10

Magic Words!

Random Ads

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NGL: I miss the cover art having the wizard robe and hat (or even just sash). It was more fun than just art of whoever they're featuring.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Soonmot posted:

#10 MOST POPULAR MORBIUS!!!!

hell yeah most popular character for thirty years, i know he's only going upwards from here

edit: who's the gold robot in the fan art this issue, i do not recognize them

Part of Magnus Robot Fighter's supporting cast, apparently.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

Abso-loving-lutely. Let's see some people with more enthusiasm than talent having fun!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty firmly in the "YES" crew for cosplay photos. It's one of those art forms that's really interesting, and it'll be cool to see early American versions (idk when Japan got big into it).

That said, if they get a bit too nasty about the cosplayers, maybe put it behind spoilers?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

NGL: I miss the cover art having the wizard robe and hat (or even just sash). It was more fun than just art of whoever they're featuring.

yeah, i was gonna mention this looks like the first issue to ditch the wizard theme on the cover.

Also: big YES on cosplay

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I vote yay because I am curious what people were cosplaying in the 90's. I assume that every article was about someone cosplaying character of the decade Dawn. Prove me wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty firmly in the "YES" crew for cosplay photos. It's one of those art forms that's really interesting, and it'll be cool to see early American versions (idk when Japan got big into it).

That said, if they get a bit too nasty about the cosplayers, maybe put it behind spoilers?

The very first sci-fi convention all the way back in 1939 had people dressing in costumes. It was a staple of the con scene literally as long as there have been cons. And the same was true in Japan. Though sci-fi cons didn't kick off there until much later, people wore costumes to those very first ones.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wizard Magazine Issue #15 November 1992

Cover

Contents

In Memoriam: Joe Shuster

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

Still missing? How am I ever going to know how cool Venom and Cable are in comparison to each other?

The Top 10

Magic Words!

Random Ads

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The existence of Northern Exposure trading cards tells you everything about how insane the collectibles market was in the 90s.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #14 October 1992

Cover

Contents

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

MIA this issue for some reason.Weird.

The Top 10

Magic Words!

Random Ads

Michael "Gorilla" Pasquale seems to have done a lot of work straddling the line of fan and pro, but a lot of his social media presence looks to have been scrubbed, possibly over a ghosted Kickstarter project. Which is a shame because a lot of the art I saw was really nice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've kinda of become amazed at how a lot of the fan art is better than the stuff actually in the books in the '90s.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I keep checking the fan art to see if there are any future superstar artists there. Also it is amazing how little of a presence DC had compared to Marvel. I think Mavel was basically just cranking it out in the early 90's while DC was focusing more on just chugging along and not doing anything too crazy. It kind of payed off in the end as Marvel got too bloated (just look at all the stuff about them in the Wizard issues) whereas DC could hardly come up with any hip new characters but still had some solid lines.
Also all the way on page one is an interview with the Simonsons which is worth reading as it pretty much predicted the collapse of comic books after the boom years before stuff like Image came out. They mention the idea of people buying multiple titles expecting an investment which makes no sense if everyone is buying multiple titles. They mention how it isn't sustainable, and they mention the style over substance. I remember reading a keynote address by Gaiman in his book of non fiction writing where he is giving a speech to a bunch of comic pros. He predicted the very same thing and how they can save comics by not chasing sales but rather putting out good products. It's kind of fascinating to see people calling this out in the early 90s.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

I keep checking the fan art to see if there are any future superstar artists there. Also it is amazing how little of a presence DC had compared to Marvel. I think Mavel was basically just cranking it out in the early 90's while DC was focusing more on just chugging along and not doing anything too crazy. It kind of payed off in the end as Marvel got too bloated (just look at all the stuff about them in the Wizard issues) whereas DC could hardly come up with any hip new characters but still had some solid lines.
Also all the way on page one is an interview with the Simonsons which is worth reading as it pretty much predicted the collapse of comic books after the boom years before stuff like Image came out. They mention the idea of people buying multiple titles expecting an investment which makes no sense if everyone is buying multiple titles. They mention how it isn't sustainable, and they mention the style over substance. I remember reading a keynote address by Gaiman in his book of non fiction writing where he is giving a speech to a bunch of comic pros. He predicted the very same thing and how they can save comics by not chasing sales but rather putting out good products. It's kind of fascinating to see people calling this out in the early 90s.

There is a future superstar coming up later. This is not my scan, but it pops up several issues ahead of where we are.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

I've kinda of become amazed at how a lot of the fan art is better than the stuff actually in the books in the '90s.

I respect the kids who freehand drew something that looks a bit rough and sent it in over the kids who traced.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This is the first issue where there were more non-marvel titles than marvel in the top 10.

They stopped top 10 heroes and villains because everyone had Morbius fever.

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I respect the kids who freehand drew something that looks a bit rough and sent it in over the kids who traced.

Kids who grew up to be pencilers vs kids who grew up to be inkers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The year is 2022. Let's see who the top 4 (why not) heroes/villains are

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goodbye 1992!

Wizard Magazine Issue #16 December 1992

Cover

Contents

Guest Editorial

Wizard News

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Article of Note

Brutes and Babes

Fan Art!

All Dressed Up

I have been forsaken by my God.

The Top 10

Magic Words!

Random Ads

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crap, I can't believe my boxes are leaching acid into my comics!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
They lied to us about poly bags and boards!!!!! The horror.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Six valiant titles in the top ten!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This issue is the most interesting to me yet. I seem to remember The Maxx being unbelievably popular with Wizard, and it looks like this issue is where it all started.

Why did they think the Street Fighter movie was sure to be excessively violent? Were they confusing Street Fighter with Mortal Kombat?

Them being excited over the torture trading cards being in full color comes off as a little weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Six valiant titles in the top ten!

It becomes funny when even in the recaps Wizard starts to say things like 'it's not that they're important issues BUT THOSE PRINT RUNS THO."