Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

If memory serves next issue is the one with Sam Keith drawing Hulk on the cover. If so, that’s the first issue I bought. Thanks for taking the time to do this, I’m really enjoying it! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I’m voting yes solely because this was still the era of (for me at least) small cons in failing old school hotels that were also record conventions and quasi-legal to flat out illegal gunshows all in some dilapidated hotel ballroom that was maybe fancy in like 1953 but was just musty red velour curtains and carpet straight out of the Shining (this was south Texas). I don’t remember cosplay being a thing, at least not as we think of it today, and I’m honestly curious as to what it looked like in ‘92 or whenever it starts up. I’m guessing it’s more a “booth-babe” thing that early? And yeah, I’m sure it’s gonna be some real lovely misogynistic/homophonic crap but in addition to chronicling it I think it’d be interesting to have the dude bro reactions from the time. I didn’t think cosplay really took off til like the mid 2000’s, I don’t really remember it being called that or being a thing separate from say Trekkies dressing up at Trek conventions

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Sorry if this has already come up, but I remember there being either comic store gossip or maybe it was actually in wizard, in regards to Superman 75 it was a going rumor that the black bag was made of some super acidic plastic that would rot the armband and the comic itself over time. Anyone remember that? Anyone actually open one recently and find melty dust to confirm? They’re cheap enough…

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Goddamnit XO! There was loving science going on ya dang spoilsport. >: (

Anyway, you said that was a few years ago so maybe Endless Mike’s copy will have deteriorated by the time it gets there.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the poster! Yeah, I had that up for years as well (cause I opened mine cause gently caress keeping poo poo sealed in general, but also cause it’d rot, as has been clearly proven here :/ ). Anyone remember a double sided poster from around that time with a bat-coffin surrounded by every era/version of Superman on one side and a Supes coffin surrounded by Bat-mans on the other?

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Would you mind scanning the P. Bagge write-up on page 90? Curious to see what they had to say about it in '94.

Could you also scan the ashcan article if you don’t mind? Always wondered what the difference between those and fanzines were. Always thought ashcans were just small b&w previews of regular comics but this doesn’t seem quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for the ashcan info and article y’all! Does anyone know if the Peter Bagge Liquid TV shorts ever got made? I used to watch that religiously but don’t remember anything like his style being shown. That article made me nostalgic as gently caress, I bought an issue of Hate (#12, I think) and an issue of Milk and Cheese and some other indie thing in rural Arkansas of all places on my way to my great grandmother’s funeral back in the day and stuff like that is why I didn’t give up on comics as a whole cause around then, as y’all are well aware of, most everything mainstream seemed to be turning to poo poo simultaneously.