Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I never read Wizard, I was pretty young when it started and by the time I got into comics I remember it being around but never a big thing. That said, I kinda love '90s comics so seeing things as they were seen at the time is pretty fun. It's neat seeing the wild rumours for storylines that we know the endings of.

Also, loving :lol: at Deathmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Man, I was exactly the right age to think the Azrael and AzBats costumes were the coolest thing ever when they dropped. I even had a big poster of AzBats. Know how many AzBats comics I bought or have even read at this point? One: the one where he puts on the costume. I also got the Sword of Azrael trade at some point. It's a decent little story, and I'm still a fan of Quesada's art.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Azrael (one of my first comics being Azrael/Ash probably has something to do with it). Annoyed they only did one trade of his series, but I am excited he's getting a miniseries soon. I'm always a little sad that Joe Quesada created one of my favourite characters, but all he'll be remembered for is 'One More Day.'

However, I have yet to read Knightfall. Every time I think about picking it up finally, DC announces a new, more complete collection coming out soon. I genuinely love Azrael's original costume, but the AzBats costume is so '90s it tickles me every time I see it.

Look at the drat thing. I love it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

My dad still has a bagged copy of #75 with the armband he bought on a whim on the off-chance it'd actually be worth something in the future. He'd check periodically, for a long time it would be really cheap, but I guess for some reason Baman v Superman caused a surge in prices, think it hit around $25 for a bit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Jim Balant has never seen a woman in spandex, huh? It's funny that he tries to justify it by "hey it's fantasy!" It's also funny that they pulled his joke about Dolly Parton and printed it out of context so it looks like he's actually scared of her.

Seeing that in big purple letters got me good though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Huh, that's a pretty eventful month. I'm kinda aware of Event Comics, Ash had a crossover with Azael that I have, but it did lead to Marvel Knights so it's worth noting, the whole Boiled Angels incident, and the groundwork for the Clone Saga being laid (if that Comic Watch is anything to go by). poo poo was loving happening. Something about that Harley Quinn in the Drawing Board looks very early-2000s to me, I feel like I had a comic that looked very much like that.

It was last issue, but Acclaim buying Valiant is the beginning of the end for them, right?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Pretty much. Also soon or perhaps already Shooter would quickly establish Defiant with the Valiant folks who didn't like how things were going which would quickly under and then Broadway Comics which had even less of an impact.

I still remember watching a QVC thing with Shooter shilling Defiant comic cards and just looking like he didn't care at all. The man has talents but PR and sales I don't think are among them.

Yeah, Defiant's been popping up here and there in the news sections. Broadway comics hasn't shown up yet, I don't think though. Sounds like that should be an interesting read when it happens.

Also the Deathmate crossover didn't help Valiant either, as I remember the story going.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh hey, a trade of Batman vs Predator 2 is what got me into comics, neat to see that ad.

That 'When Titans Tussle' article :allears:. I bet there was some interesting commentary when DC vs Marvel came out.

They're right though

I also love that they're already calling the Clone Saga dumb.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It's so interesting to see the talk about movies and what came out, what didn't, and what suffered years-long Development Hell. Like, the D&D movie came out in 2000 and while it sounds like they had the basic story outline by this point, there's also a lot of stuff they talk about that they had to cut back on (you know, all the interesting stuff like various D&D monsters and a good director; as I understand it Courtney Solomon just wanted to produce but was basically forced into directing). Then you get stuff like

quote:

Will Extreme Studios's comic Power of the Mark be brought to the screen under the production eye of Tom Cruise?

And it's like, I've never even heard of that comic (and can't seem to find any information on it at all? Did it get cancelled before release or did it get another name change?)

I have to admit, the Top 10 and Top 10 Heroes and Villains articles are weird just because of the apparent need to fill space. I wonder if they expected them to shift more than they did.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

X-O posted:

Timothy Dalton as Iron Man in 1995 just feels right.

Yeah, that's not a bad choice really.

That said, I'm laughing at Fabio. In case you forgot it was the '90s.

Despite being an April Fool's thing, that was a much more interesting Top 10 Heroes & Villains than usual. Shocked there was no Pitt though (I'm being mean, but I am shocked/amused every time I see him on the regular list).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Oh hey, first appearance of Broadway Comics. Tekno*Comix shows up in the news a lot more than I really expected.

The articles on using the internet to talk comics and how to import your anime must be utter nonsense to someone born after 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Why was Entity Comics selling packs with the (nostalgic for me, but) very bad game Corridor 7?

Edit: Somehow, despite looking right at the news as I wrote this, I wrote the wrong company.

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 23, 2023