Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

I need votes yay or nay on the following. Don't go out of your way to vote unless you back up your reasoning. Coming up soon in a few issues they start doing monthly cosplay articles. Do we want to actually unleash these back into the world? Are people ready for content of such a quality like early '90s cosplay? What say you thread readers?

Abso-loving-lutely. Let's see some people with more enthusiasm than talent having fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty firmly in the "YES" crew for cosplay photos. It's one of those art forms that's really interesting, and it'll be cool to see early American versions (idk when Japan got big into it).

That said, if they get a bit too nasty about the cosplayers, maybe put it behind spoilers?

The very first sci-fi convention all the way back in 1939 had people dressing in costumes. It was a staple of the con scene literally as long as there have been cons. And the same was true in Japan. Though sci-fi cons didn't kick off there until much later, people wore costumes to those very first ones.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

I've kinda of become amazed at how a lot of the fan art is better than the stuff actually in the books in the '90s.

I respect the kids who freehand drew something that looks a bit rough and sent it in over the kids who traced.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

FWIW, compared to inflation $3 in 1992 is worth $6.25 today, so it does not take many $100+ comics to make Wizard a good investment advistor.

I'm too drunk to compare it to actual stock. but I assume my results will extrapolate perfectly.

The thing to remember is that in 1992, people were taking those hot comics and selling them at a huge mark up immediately. Cover price might have been $2 for Big Image Book #1 but two weeks later dealers had stacks of them for $10 at cons (or more!) and price guides like Wizard had them at huge mark up.

Something X-O isn't covering is the price guide in every issue of Wizard which was color coded like a stock ticker. You'd check it every month to see how your collection was doing. Maybe you should go out and get some of that hot book from the top ten to improve your portfolio?

It didn't take a genius to see how rotten the whole system was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm also kind of curious what happened to Shogakukan publishing American comic books in Japan. I'm going to guess it didn't actually work out so well, but I can't really find much info on it.

Always fun seeing video game prices from the early 90s. 75-80 dollars for a Genesis game! That's more expensive than most AAA titles in the current day, and that's not even taking the nearly 30 years of inflation into account.

I don't know about that effort in particular, but American comics do have a following in Japan. International books don't get much attention, but there are fans. I recall Spawn having a surprisingly big Japanese following.

As for games, it was expensive to make cartridges. But perhaps not as expensive as you might expect. I have a project where I'm documenting Japanese games and the prices are generally comparable to current games when I account for inflation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Also I remember very distinctly going "why do they talk about Valiant so much?" not because I thought their comics were bad, but their comics lacked Wolverine, or Spider-man or even Batman. Even at 15 I was still just following characters.

I genuinely think that initially they were genuine fans. Valiant had a more writer focused approach at a time when other companies were going all in on "the penciler is the only thing that matters". And a lot of the talent there was slightly older, the guys who wrote and drew the comics that Wizard staffers read when they were 10.

It didn't take long for Wizard to find their niche in driving speculator hype, though...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

blast0rama posted:

Was Ghost the only of the Comic’s Greatest World books that actually went anywhere?

(I remember being a kid and thinking X looked cool.)

X had an ongoing series for a while but it was even lower profile than Ghost.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BooDooBoo posted:

Would Ultraverse count as lost media?

No, not even remotely. There's tens of thousands of copies out there. If you want to read it, you can buy the original issues and it's just a matter of having the cash. Or there's probably some :pirate: options.

I'm actually kind of annoyed at how some people in the past year or so have decided "lost media" just means "something I can't easily find".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

If I wasn't lazy I would compile a list of all the publishers and lines mentioned/advertised in Wizard that no longer exist. Stuff like Legend, Lightning, Sky, Triumphant, Revolution, Now etc. Not all of those had articles written about them outside of Wizard News but there were a lot of random companies that seem to have lasted no more than a year or so.

Now lasted quite a while, they were making licensed books in the 80's.

Madkal posted:

And first appearances! Of Major characters!

ARComics has a very No Name Brand power behind it.

They published one comic: ARComics Premier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXkxWleZL4s

This was the only breakdown of what is in it that I could find.