Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Lobo was pretty big, it was the violent edgy style that was popular back then but always satirical of that too so people that didn't like that stuff could potentially enjoy it too.

I still have the colorform cover of the Lobo vs. Superman issue from back then somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

X-O posted:

I need votes yay or nay on the following. Don't go out of your way to vote unless you back up your reasoning. Coming up soon in a few issues they start doing monthly cosplay articles. Do we want to actually unleash these back into the world? Are people ready for content of such a quality like early '90s cosplay? What say you thread readers?

I think it would be cool to look back and see that kind of stuff through today's lens. As long as people don't get too mean spirited.

Or less mean spirited than Wizard themselves? I seem to remember a cornucopia of fat jokes at the submitters expense.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #22 June 1993

Oh man, I got a subscription for my birthday in April of this year so this was the first issue I got. Read each month cover to cover, though I didn't realize that this was the first until that Vampirella drawing.

There's one great bit coming up in a few months I think. At the back of most months there was a 20 question interview splash page with an artist/writer one month that fell through so they had one of their staffers pose for a picture, created a fake name and filled all the questions with the most arrogant pompous poo poo they could think of. They've said they got hate mail about 'giving that rear end in a top hat exposure' for years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, that Michael Allred pic has big time 'antagonist in a rom com' energy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And a TV show!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Digging around a little it looks like Gen13 were the special premiere characters. Checklists published with the packs apparently even had the alternate name for the series since it was changed to Gen13 after the pigs went to print. You can still packs packs cor $4 on Amazon.

No. Title Subset

1 Emp WildC.A.T.S
2 Emp WildC.A.T.S
3 Void WildC.A.T.S
4 Void WildC.A.T.S
5 Grifter WildC.A.T.S
6 Grifter WildC.A.T.S
7 Zealot WildC.A.T.S
8 Zealot WildC.A.T.S
9 Voodoo WildC.A.T.S
10 Voodoo WildC.A.T.S
11 Maul WildC.A.T.S
12 Maul WildC.A.T.S
13 Warblade WildC.A.T.S
14 Warblade WildC.A.T.S
15 Spartan WildC.A.T.S
16 Spartan WildC.A.T.S
17 Julie WildC.A.T.S
18 H.A.R.M. WildC.A.T.S Villians
19 Attica WildC.A.T.S Villians
20 Slag WildC.A.T.S Villians
21 Coda Assassin WildC.A.T.S Villians
22 Coda Assassin WildC.A.T.S Villians
23 Coda Assassin WildC.A.T.S Villians
24 Pike WildC.A.T.S Villians
25 Gnome WildC.A.T.S Villians
26 Deamonite WildC.A.T.S Villians
27 International Operations (I.O.)WildC.A.T.S Villians
28 Black Razor WildC.A.T.S Villians
29 Helspont WildC.A.T.S Villians
30 Providence WildC.A.T.S Villians
31 Hightower WildC.A.T.S Villians
32 Battlion Stormwatch
33 Battlion Stormwatch
34 Winter Stormwatch
35 Fuji Stormwatch
36 Fuji Stormwatch
37 Diva Stormwatch
38 Diva Stormwatch
39 Hellstrike Stormwatch
40 Hellstrike Stormwatch
41 Synergy Stormwatch
42 Weatherman One Stormwatch
43 Cannon Stormwatch
44 Cannon Stormwatch
45 Fahrenheit Stormwatch
46 Strafe Stormwatch
47 Backlash Stormwatch
48 Flashpoint Stormwatch
49 Nautika Stormwatch
50 Warguard Stormwatch
51 Warguard Stormwatch
53 Brutus Stormwatch
54 Razor Stormwatch
55 Deathtrap Stormwatch
56 Hellslayer Stormwatch
57 Kilgore Stormwatch
58 Deathblow Deathblow
59 Deathblow Deathblow
60 Sister Mary Deathblow
61 Lynch Deathblow
62 Craven Deathblow
63 Cybermary Deathblow
64 Cybermary Deathblow
65 Hunter-Killer Deathblow
66 Union Union
67 Regent Union
68 Jill Monroe Union
69 Freefall Genrunners
70 Fairchild Genrunners
71 Grunge Genrunners
72 Burnout Genrunners

CHASE CAPS

Bonus Foils

JL1 Voodoo
JL2 Emp
JL3 Void
JL4 Spartan
JL5 Deathblow

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And then the Ultraverse combined with the Marvel Universe and Mantra became a 16 year girl whose costume had a habit of disappearing in crowded places.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BooDooBoo posted:

You're double right, it's really more "Dead media" as opposed to lost, we know where to find the corpse but we can't be arsed, and yep, pretty sure someone could put a full Ultraverse run together on eBay, I just checked and was almost tempted to give it a shot!

Do it, then watch Nightman and it's backdoor pilot for a Manimal revival.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I love that they chose that picture for Persuasion and not even a sly joke about it being traced from a picture of Cindy Crawford.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, and Peter David was the guy whose original idea for his Supergirl run was to have Linda Lee Danvers give birth to the anti-christ.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Madkal posted:

Wouldn't even be the weirdest thing PAD has written in regards to what a woman gives birth to.

If you're referring to Rahne it's all the same story. His Supergirl gets axed so he starts writing Fallen Angel, where Lee is no longer Supergirl but the 'Fallen Angel' to continue his story, then that gets axed and moved to IDW, where it gets axed again. Then he ports the story to X-Factor.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Madkal posted:

Was actually referring to Siren and Maddox's "baby"

Oof, oh yeah 'that'.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Madkal posted:

I know the general thing about Image being late for their releases was because....they are Image, but is there a bigger story about why the release of Image titles was so chaotic and it's impact on the industry as a whole. Was it just slow artwork? Was it soliciting titles that never existed?

Probably something to do with everyone being part owner and so there was no one enforcing deadlines.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They're probably sitting in the same forgotten filing cabinet with all the Ultraverse characters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wait, Spawn vs. Angela? Were they setting up an Image/Marvel crossover way back then?

I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember that cover convincing me to not bother with Image comics, I couldn't get over Fairchild(I think that was her name?) Thigh being as long as her head and torso.