Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
This is an extremely fascinating look into a world that I never had any contact with, and the aging badly feels like all part of the wild ride. Do they end up doing that manga section talked about in the letters, and how well does that one go over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I can't imagine even excited/positive coverage in this style gives a good impression of the comics output of Japan, let alone coverage of the super limited range of comics that were even getting imported at the time.

But at the same time I'm kind of thinking, what if the wizard people really knew their stuff and everyone just sort of skipped over it while they were trying to boost actual good series? Going to be interesting to find out.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Was there a directed republican letter-writing campaign to Wizard this month, or what

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the duality of man

e: also, i'm interested in what Palmer's Picks has to say after those pair of letters but couldn't find it in the scans. Is it attached to something else?

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 13, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

X-O posted:

Which issue? I'll post it. And I'll post that article going forward as well.

Both of the ones you just posted had letters talking about how Palmer's Picks is the bit of the magazine focused on underground and import comics, so the last two I guess. Thank you!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I was curious about the manga! It's interesting to think back about what became the 'canonical' anime of the 90s in the West and where wizard is on and off about some of them. They got on the Ghost in the Shell train real early, comparatively, and I remember Ah My Goddess being really popular at some point, but the Akira author's works outside of Akira itself remain pretty niche.

Calling attention to Honneamise is another indicator that the people on Japan watch at Wizard had a good sense of what was going to get real big too, as Evangelion was about to air in a few months as of that article.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 15, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

okay but if the MCU had started in the 90s, how many of these WOULD happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

also what's the deal with the completely made up person? what was going ON there