Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
We haven't hit any of the issues my brother got, but it's still interesting looking back at this. The Top 10 comics seem to essentially be all X-Men or X-Men related things (with the occasional oddball like Darkhawk and Robin), and so far the Top 10 Heroes/Villains has been all Marvel. I guess it makes sense, a lot of the popularity was probably due to the X-Men cartoon, and I'm not sure but I feel like DC was probably struggling here a little bit? Especially since Marvel (and a few other new comic companies) are filled with edgy/violent heroes/anti-heroes and outside of Batman, I imagine DC at this point with its more traditional heroic superheroes was seen as too kiddy or uninteresting.

Also I'm curious where they got the whole "Deep Space Nine will take place 100 years after TNG" thing in that one article, because as far as I know that comes from absolutely nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I say yes to the cosplay pics, it should be interesting looking back on how it was done before internet shopping was a thing and it would have been much harder to get what you wanted from local stores. And as was mentioned, Wizard is probably much more harsh on some of the pictures than most posters here would be.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This issue is the most interesting to me yet. I seem to remember The Maxx being unbelievably popular with Wizard, and it looks like this issue is where it all started.

Why did they think the Street Fighter movie was sure to be excessively violent? Were they confusing Street Fighter with Mortal Kombat?

Them being excited over the torture trading cards being in full color comes off as a little weird.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Good pick, though getting it required cutting up issues 1-8 of Magnus

This kind of stood out to me too, especially with Wizard helping accelerate the "collectible comics" craze it seems a little insane that a comics company would release a comic that would require you to cut up your comics. Maybe they were hoping it would boost sales by having people go "I'll buy one to cut up and one to preserve."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The letters section mentioned that the toy section of the magazine had expanded to two pages with a semi-annual price guide. How much longer until they spin it off into ToyFare?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"Patrick Ewing actually makes a jump shot, and the Knicks win an important game."

Hey, Spider-Man had already been to Japan! The Spider-Man toku series was from the late 70s!

I don't blame Wizard for not knowing about that though, as far as I know it wasn't ever shown on American TV (unlike shows like Kikaider which were shown in Hawaii) and the internet was still in its infancy so it's not like Google or Wikipedia was around.

I'm also kind of curious what happened to Shogakukan publishing American comic books in Japan. I'm going to guess it didn't actually work out so well, but I can't really find much info on it.

Always fun seeing video game prices from the early 90s. 75-80 dollars for a Genesis game! That's more expensive than most AAA titles in the current day, and that's not even taking the nearly 30 years of inflation into account.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I did like that article on Captain Marvel Shazam, while he definitely borrows a lot from Superman, I think he's different enough and in a lot of ways more interesting. He's always been one of my favorite comic characters.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

Was there a directed republican letter-writing campaign to Wizard this month, or what

Yeah that was a hell of a letters section this month. While they did pull the "what about the law abiding gun owners" card as well as "we must punish people more strongly" cards, neither of which I'm a fan of, they at least said that there was a huge gun problem in the country, that guns make murder much easier, and that something needed to be done about it. which is a far cry from the "dead schoolchildren are just something we must accept in the name of freedoms" of today.

Also good on them for calling out the bullshit about condoms.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Although it's a newspaper comic and not a comic book, Spider-Man did actually try out for football.

Unfortunately, since Newspaper Spider-Man has the IQ of a sack of hammers, he failed to realize that people do not generally go "This guy is really good at sports...he must secretly be Spider-Man!"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's kind of amazing that Wizard at this point has turned into a place for comic industry folks to take petty snipes at each other like Peter David and the Barry Windsor-Smith stuff.

And yeah the Just Add Water column was pretty funny, it's nice to know that even though he was hot at the time and Wizard had praised his art, they were definitely poking fun at Liefeld a bit with the pouch belts.

A lot of the stuff in the news section was pretty interesting, like seeing the statement that Batman TAS would end after the second season. Which I guess is technically true even if The New Adventures of Batman and Robin was more or less the third season of TAS. Also the hopes that The Mask would turn into a series of films. Well, I guess they did get Son of the Mask but...yeah.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Writing into a magazine to ask what "aka" means, truly the world was a different place before the rise of Google.

I'm also very mad at them saying the first Tim Burton Batman movie sucked. It's really good! Batman Returns does suck though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"Kyle Rayner's girlfriend will make her exit in issue 54" is certainly a way to refer to what happened in that issue and what it kicked off.

I'm also in favor of you posting Cut & Print regularly since I was never too into comics during this time but I remember a lot of the comic based TV and movie stuff, so that's definitely some of the most interesting stuff to me. Like Wizard saying in this issue that Robin Williams officially signed on as The Riddler in Batman Forever when as far as I know he'd turned it down.

Also all of the things mentioned in the beginning of this issue happened, weirdly! The HBO Spawn cartoon did happen, and I think it turned out pretty good, I only saw an episode or two because we didn't have HBO growing up. The Savage Dragon cartoon went to USA, and I thought Wildcats did too, but apparently it actually aired on CBS first for a single season before being booted to USA. I don't know anything about Savage Dragon but I know the Wildcats cartoon was apparently pretty bad.

Anyway, I really should read Bone sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ruddiger posted:

The Savage Dragon cartoon premiered in 95 and lasted two seasons. The episodes were mostly self contained, but there was a crossover episode with a character that jumped through multiple cartoons that aired on the USA network. The first season is pretty forgettable, but the second season had a pretty cool animated opening and unique title cards drawn by Larsen.

Weirdly the only real exposure I had to Savage Dragon outside of seeing ads for it on USA and seeing it mentioned in Wizard, was also a "crossover" in an issue of the Sonic comic book where Savage Dragon made a cameo appearance on a splash page with a few other comic characters (I think Spawn was maybe another one?).