Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

we're getting to when i started reading the magazine, nice. 1995 valiant ads for birthquake or whatever >>>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

one of the hallmarks of my childhood is wizard casting howie long as every muscular blonde male character ever and i wouldnt change a loving thing

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

X-O posted:

I'm not seeing Annette Bening as Tigra at all though. That one's a head scratcher. Not sure how the hell they landed on that.

redhead. and in early 1994 she was probably in the news because she was making "love affair" with her bf warren beatty. and that's about it. 1994 might have been too early for them casting angie everheart as every redhead but idk

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

also anyone who hasn't read the don simpson stuff in this issue's palmer's picks, stop hurting yourself and fix it

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

hell yeah, #46 was my first-ever issue. i got it just before flying out for a week-long family trip, so i think i read through that whole thing, price guide and all, roughly 100,000,000 times

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

btw frank miller was right

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Nessus posted:

A dangerous sentence without qualifiers

i endorse everything he's ever said or written, completely. now, i shall proceed to read his post-2001 work for the first time ever,

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

they were right on the money in highlighting two great characters whose stories have stood the test of time: alan moore's miracleman reboot, and superman villain conduit

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

catlord posted:

Oh hey, first appearance of Broadway Comics. Tekno*Comix shows up in the news a lot more than I really expected.

pretty sure wizard and tekno had some kinda mutual back-scratching going on

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

also @x-o you missed superstar creator ryan ottley drawing THE MAXX in the fan art contest

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

palmer's picks mainstay joe matt (peep show) just passed away :(

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

ManiacClown posted:

What in Jack Kirby's name was a "lin-gen re-cover"?

Gen13 #1 had 13 variant covers. Michael Lopez drew one that was a parody of a Victoria's Secret mail-order catalog, which was a thing that existed back in the 1990s. Said variant cover's nickname was the "Lin-Gen-rie" variant.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

ManiacClown posted:

Fuckity ding dong. That's terrible even by my standards.

I'd put it right up there with "fuckity ding dong" tbh

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

I always remember the homage cover to the 1993 Janet Jackson Rolling Stone cover but it was Caitlin and Grunge. Every time we put it up on the back issue shelf it'd sell in a day at most. It would sell way over guide because Overstreet did not account for the tremendous buying power of horny.

Jason Pearson RIP

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

it's been fun looking at what wizard highlighted in a given month, and then looking at all the poo poo that came out both big AND small in the month -- https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?minyrmo=199508&maxyrmo=199508 is august 1995

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

15-year-old joe mad's bedroom/studio >>>>>>>>>

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

i'm 99.9% sure i entered that mk3 arcade contest. i entered a lot of wizard contests when i was 10/11. never won a god drat thing

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

the thing is, batman forever is unironically the best batman movie

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

guess who just got like a loving crate of 90s wizard back issues delivered :corrupt:

edit: oh yes. oh HELL yes.

very risky blowjob fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 30, 2023

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

also lol that $4.99 was like, the price of an oversized issue of wizard in the 90s, and now it's just the price of an issue of batman or whatever

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

no one has yet provided a scan of wizard #50 for the internet archive, so here's the wizard news section from my own personal copy. scanning this thing is really annoying so other articles will follow in time. features are on paul smith, todd mcfarlane, and ben edlund. casting call is spawn. special anniversary articles include a bunch of wizard sucking its own dick.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/C810XC4

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

more from wizard #50:

Ben (The Tick) Edlund:

Casting Call 8: SPAWN

Paul Smith and why one of the seminal X-Men artists of the 80s never became the superstar he should have been:

Todd McFarlane getting Wizard to promote all of his various Spawn stuff in the guise of a "day in the life of Todd" feature:

very risky blowjob fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

X-O posted:

50 is up on Archive.org. Just have had a busy week and haven't had time to post much.

drat i didn't find it when i searched, i guess i just need glasses

edit: starting with #50, the price guide started including comic recommendations from wizard staffers on the verso pages. almost all marvel & dc superheroes, as you'd expect, including stuff as recent as cable #20 from 1994

very risky blowjob fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 10, 2023