Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks for this thread! I have a lot of memories of Wizard, and they probably mirror yours pretty closely, though I didn't have anywhere near this collection. Since I'm not doing anything, I've decided I'm going to do a thing along with this:

Wizard's Top 10: Where Are They Now??

These were the hottest books as determined by Wizard Magazine, so they must still be very valuable, right? Let's see what Ebay in 2022 has to say about that!

Issue 1, September 1991:

#1: X-Force #1 (first issue of a popular series, obviously): I can't find any recently completed auctions that actually sold. A sealed copy with a Shatterstar card didn't sell with a $9 BIN. Let's call this one QUARTER BIN FODDER (there was a bunch of different cards, and I believe the Deadpool one was the most desirable, and that probably is still the case)
#2: Uncanny X-Men #248 (first Jim Lee penciled issue): $4.50
#3: Silver Surfer #50 (cool embossed cover, lead-in to Infinity Gauntlet): $9.99
#4: X-Factor #63 (first Wilce Portacio penciled issue): Can't find a solo sale, but it sold along with #64-65 for $7. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#5: Spider-Man #1 (platinum) (chase cover for top-selling comic book of all time for a few months): $564 unslabbed! This was a good pick! Somewhat strangely, a slabbed 9.0 sold shortly after for $586, so either someone got a deal, or someone got hosed.
#6: New Mutants #87 (first appearance of Cable): A slabbed 8.5 copy sold for somewhere less than $140 (best offer accepted). A slabbed 9.8 sold for $675. We'll call this a good pick by Wizard.
#7: Silver Surfer #34 (Jim Starlins debuts as writer, Thanos returns from the dead): $10 unslabbed. Slabbed copies seem all over the place. Probably not a great pick.
#8: Ghost Rider #15 (Ghost Rider vs. Johnny Blaze, cool glow in the dark cover): Only actual sale I can find is part of a lot including 25 total comics. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9: New Teen Titans #2 (first appearance of Deathstroke): Slabbed 9.0 for $259. I can't find any unslabbed sales. Good pick!
#10: New Mutants #100 (final issue, first appearance of X-Force): Slabbed 9.6 for $48. Bad pick!

Issue 2, October 1991:

(From here on out I will only include comics they didn't previously list)

#1: X-Men #1 (#1 selling comic of all time, gatefold cover): A slabbed 9.8 sold for under $129, and another seller sold 10 unslabbed copies for $200. We'll call this a mediocre pick.
#3: Uncanny X-Men #281 (new team with Wilce Portacio art): $5.50 by itself, but there's some other copies selling for even less as part of lots. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#9: New Warriors #1 (new teen team. Teen teams are cool, right?): Slabbed copy under $72, on unslabbed sale for $10. Bad pick!
#10: X-Factor #71 (new team, new creative team of Peter David and Larry Stroman): lots of two in near mint sold for a cool buck. QUARTER BIN FODDER

Issue 3, November 1991:

#9: Infinity Gauntlet #1 (first issue of a hot miniseries): Slabbed 9.4 under $109, unslabbed $16.50. Mediocre pick here

Issue 4, December 1991:

#1: Robin: Joker's Wild #1 (Five covers! Holograms! What's it about? Who cares!): One copy sold under $5. Best I can tell you can't give this away. QUARTER BIN FODDER
#8: X-Factor #24 (first full appearance of Archangel): Slabbed 9.8 for $282, unslabbed for $22. Not a bad pick
#9: Uncanny X-Men #282 (first appearance of Bishop): Unslabbed copy under $20, slabbed 9.6 for $96. Mediocre pick.
#10: Magnus: Robot Fighter #1 (first modern appearance of Magnus): Issues 1-3 sold in a lot for $4. That's close enough to QUARTER BIN FODDER to me.

Haha, I was doing this too. There's definitely some books that I see that I know still have value (X-Men 266 is still a great pick) but others where I was looking at it like "does anyone still care about this?" and turns out most of the time, NOPE!

This is an awesome thread full of awesome memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #13 September 1992

Wizard understood and the millennium of Morb was upon us and it was Morbin time.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

After straight dominating the top 10, this month is the first where Marvel doesn't have a single issue in it and the only way they got in there the prior month was because Ren and Stimpy.

Also Ken Lashley is a good dude in general and if he's at a con near you, he's always worth saying hi to.

I really like the tenuous reasons they recommend some of the "Comics to watch." Just absolute pump and dump level poo poo.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

X-O posted:

I think #18 was the first issue with no Marvel in the Top 10. It was the first one I noticed. And I can't be bothered to go look at the previous 17 before I hit the submit reply button so I must be right.

Issue 17 was still riding the Morbin high which also means issue 18 was all Morb'd up even if it wasn't listed because it's always morbin' time.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Sad news for this thread.
https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1544811576762433536

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Looking at it all at once rather than month by month, it's really amazing how quickly valiant went from "you need to buy every book from this publisher!!!" to "who?"

I understand that's also the era but jeez, wild how much they dominated the top 10 for like a whole year. Definitely not other problems worth looking into there, no siree.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ashcans have two meanings. Either it can be a small comic to establish trademarks (like you have an idea for a name but not much more so you come up with a crappy quickbook so no one else can use the title "Exciting Stories" starring "Original Character DO NOT STEAL"). This was more common in like the 1930s when there was basically an comic explosion and everyone was trying to make a book.

The other usage of the term started in the 90s and is used to denote basically a prototype book that's done in a low print run. The quality of it can vary based on the publisher but they were used a lot to send to retailers as a preview book to generate interest.

I'd be interested in the article too but that's my understand of what an ashcan is.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Was gonna ask why you weren't posting the profile and then I saw who it was and, well, good call.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

It's for Age of Apocalypse. I assure you the reality of the crossover doesn't look like that.

The Generation Next books were had Bachalo on art so they were good but yeah, most of the other stuff is extremely 90s and nowhere near as good looking as that ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #47 July 1995

Oh hey, this issue has probably the first published art from Ryan Ottley in the Drawing Board section.