Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was, and still am, obsessed with Erik Larsen’s work, it was cool seeing Savage Dragon get a lot of love in Wizard as the market was burning itself down.

I think Erik only did a couple covers for the magazine, plus that Wizard comicon special that had the Image jam piece for the cover, but he had a few big write ups, and for a good stretch, there were monthly spotlights of the current issue being solicited.

The only 1/2 issues I ever mailed away for were Savage Dragon and the Maxx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s crazy how uninterested I was in David Lapham’s Valiant work and how blown away I was when finally exposed to his stuff on Stray Bullets.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The print runs on those comics in that era were ridiculous, I think the only reason why some of those books retained their value was either due to artificial scarcity (the platinum Spider-Man issue that was a retailer incentive if they ordered a poo poo load of the regular book) or books that were under the radar and “only” had a print run in the 10s of thousands instead of 100,000.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m sure most of you guys know but the Cartoonist Kayfabe boys started off their YouTube channel doing flip throughs of Wizard Magazine. I think they’re up to issue 40, but they started flipping through actual comics and art books as they found the Wizard content really sparse and lacking. It’s a great channel and the Wizard flip throughs are full of comic insider stuff since they’re both working professionals in the comic book field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf8lIJMKRos

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That’s exactly what it was. They want you to buy multiple copies of the same book. They still do.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That Erik Larsen letter in that issue’s Magic Words is wild, talk about leaving it all on the table.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember being really pissed that Image cancelled Trencher but kept on Pitt, Trencher was a reliable monthly book that looked like nothing else on the rack. Pitt meanwhile looked like literally nothing on the rack since each issue was released years apart.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hero Illustrated really made the big push with ashcans, I remember that magazine came with a free one as opposed to the free trading card that would come with the early Wizard mags.

Wizard got into the ashcan game later, along with the mail away 1/2 issue comics.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Peter David dunking on McFarlane for having the word “ca-ca” show up in Spawn even tho Alan Moore was the one who wrote that issue will never not be funny to me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I bought a lot of comics on eBay and the seller threw in a copy of prophet 3 for free. I immediately thought of wizard and this thread.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Savage Dragon cartoon premiered in 95 and lasted two seasons. The episodes were mostly self contained, but there was a crossover episode with a character that jumped through multiple cartoons that aired on the USA network. The first season is pretty forgettable, but the second season had a pretty cool animated opening and unique title cards drawn by Larsen.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope plasmer shows up in the mcu

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish there were scans available of the more obscure comics and toy magazines, I’m surprised more stuff like this isn’t up on archive.org or something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I would love if someone uploaded all the old comic book and toy magazines to archive.org. I dream of flipping through those old mags looking at unreleased star wars toys prototypes or rough pencils/b&w inks of upcoming comics.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

How fuckin' much did they have to pay Alex Ross for two multi-page covers!?

More like how much was wizard pulling in that they could afford two Alex Ross multi-page covers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

very risky blowjob posted:

also anyone who hasn't read the don simpson stuff in this issue's palmer's picks, stop hurting yourself and fix it

He’s putting out a Megaton Man collection soon which I cannot wait for.