Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-O posted:

There was one Top 10 I recently scanned that had like seven of the top 10 books being Lady Death, Shi, Vampirella, and someone else I can't remember.

It had to be Dawn, right?

I was more of a Hero Illustrated guy while that was a thing, but I read Wizard regularly nevertheless. It was where I was introduced to the art of customizing action figures. I remember trying to turn a ToyBiz Silver Surfer into the all-white Vision by basically dunking it in Testors enamel and cutting up a Hanes undershirt for the cape, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Soonmot posted:

that entire top ten is Marvel.

Was DC putting out any good non-Vertigo books at the time?

I was reading DC primarily during that time period. I was a big fan of Superboy and GL with Kyle, but I don’t know if they would be considered good by a majority of fans.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I never got into Wizard, though I followed it's trad games cousin InQuest for a while. That said, I did get the Wizard JLA special issue and must have read it 100 times.

Oh man, that JLA special! I was so excited for Morrison’s JLA and spent hours pouring over that issue. If I’m remembering right, Morrison said they had big plans for including Shazam/Captain Marvel on the team, but that never came to pass. I might have been the only person in the world other than Morrison who was excited about Zauriel, lol.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Insane to think that Wizard actually pre-dates Image Comics.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Seeing that news item about Adventure Comics’ The Bat made me very curious about it. The first issue even says on the cover: “One of the original sources that inspired BATMAN!” There was only one issue, wonder why…

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The existence of Northern Exposure trading cards tells you everything about how insane the collectibles market was in the 90s.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The only money I’ve ever made from colllecting comics came from Ultimate Spider-Man and The Walking Dead. I bought them because I love Spider-Man and zombie movies. Any comics I ever bought as “investments” turned out to be worthless.

I remember holding on to my copy of Marvel’s Masters of the Universe #1 in a plastic shopping bag under my bed because the cover said “COLLECTOR’S ITEM!”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Every time I see a group shot of the Leather Jacket Avengers, I always mistake Herc's weird puffy collar for enormous dreadlocks.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Oh wow, the ashcan fad was another thing that felt like it was driven entirely by Wizard. I remember Marvel got in on it but I don’t think DC ever did. What a strange time.

Edit: VVV You’re right, I conflated the two in my head.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 12, 2022

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-O posted:

I saw the letter a few issues ago and looked up that book on Wikipedia. It's completely insane to me reading the wiki entry that this was a book by Peter David and George Perez.

I thought Perez was semi-notorious for drawing a lot of bondage-themed commissions?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

“PERG.”

Boy, there’s a title that just draws you in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Those Casting Call articles are like 90% “here’s a wrestler/football player with kinda the same haircut” but Larry Drake as Doc Ock would have been rad.