Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Wizard got me into comics for the most part. It basically went: X-Men cartoon > collecting cards > checking Wizard because the X-Men were on it.

I had a ton of issues of Wizard. None of my friends really cared about comics - still don't! - so it was an outlet for that nerdery. I had a subscription and I got some of the specials and I read them all cover to cover. I remember I think it was Darkbook 98 and the cover literally hanging on by a staple because I read it so much.

I had a book that was mostly price guide - I wish I could remember the name of it - but it covered everything back to the golden age and every so often comics would get a short description. I even read that over and over.

Wizard had some dumb humor. It was definitely irresponsible financially. But there was lots of good, at least from the perspective of a poor kid who couldn't afford the comics each month but could drop a fiver on Wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #12 August 1992

Cover

Nothing makes me want to try a new book more than showcasing their main character, tiny gremlin in a suit with Mega Man Robot Master hands.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #18 February 1993

This feels like the Wizard I grew up on (sadly).

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

X-O posted:

Wizard Magazine Issue #23 July 1993

Cover

Finally got to the first Wizard I ever bought. I very much remember that Mike Allred interview and that picture of the guy in makeup at the top of Wizard News. I would've been 7 years old, holy moley.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

BARRY
WINDSOR-
SMITH

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I agree that he is cool.

Not sure that anyone is three pages cool.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The Just Add Water article is genuinely kinda amusing. Mostly because I like the idea of naming a character "Bloodblood."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

You could probably host those on archive.org at this point. I bet they'd take em.