Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

crispix posted:

appeh jubbleh luvvehs what yiz doin fit' jubbleh weekend?!?!??!??! :britain: :holy:

(Snipe edit: 4, the correct amount of fish fingers that should be in a sandwich. With HP Sauce you heathens)

Drinking copious amounts of wine and staying the hell indoors, as I fly to NYC next week and knowing my luck someone will give me Covid if I roll to the pub.

There's already bunting going up on the 'ladder' streets off mine, and flyers posted to lampposts for the Saturday street party. Dress Up! Fruit Punch! Wave your flags! Please move your cars off the street (which laffo, what people pay round here for parking permits ain't happening)!
Comedy option: I find a wheelchair & dress up as Sir Captain Sir Tom and just roll into people to find out the limit of well off north london politeness ala Jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

appeh jubbleh luvvehs what yiz doin fit' jubbleh weekend?!?!??!??! :britain: :holy:

My partner's dad was invited to a jubee bash tomorrow by his neighbour

He said 'no thanks, I'd rather shoot the old bag'

Lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jubbly bubbly, your artisan-crafted e-cig juice.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oh my god/marxist leninist

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

winegums posted:

So I suppose I'm interested to know what you guys think

The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.

Fuckin' strike? Fuckin do a [redacted] with [redacted] right in the [redacted] imo, the bastards have it coming wholesale.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I give my permission as someone who’s going on a massive drugs bender tomorrow to strike. My heart ain’t as important as workers rights! (This sounds sarcastic but isn’t) (don’t worry just going to primavera, not on some depressive thing) (no, the Spanish health service won’t be dealing with me - the high should just about keep me alive til I return, then it’s touch and go)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jakabite posted:

I give my permission as someone who’s going on a massive drugs bender tomorrow to strike. My heart ain’t as important as workers rights! (This sounds sarcastic but isn’t) (don’t worry just going to primavera, not on some depressive thing) (no, the Spanish health service won’t be dealing with me - the high should just about keep me alive til I return, then it’s touch and go)

Best of luck with your jubbly bash, stay safe and that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I support winegums striking and in fact if the doctors don't strike I will turn up to the hospital with a new illness every day that they will have to groan and treat

starting with a biologically impossibly non-stop-cavernous-fart disease

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
On a fun note I’m sat outside a bar in Manchester and someone brought a queenie cutout. It’s now headless and severely battered. I love this city

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

DesperateDan posted:

Fuckin' strike? Fuckin do a [redacted] with [redacted] right in the [redacted] imo, the bastards have it coming wholesale.

How dare you. They can go on the waiting list for it like the rest of us

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

winegums posted:

Hi goons, long time no see.

I've recently gotten more active in medical politics, particularly with our doctors union the British Medical Association. At our recent conference a key motion was passed:

So in the next 6-9 months there's going to be a vote amongst doctors below consultant grade, to undertake industrial action. Unlike the previous utterly gutless IA this would be up to and including full withdrawal of labour.

This is due to a lot of lovely factors in the job, but the real motivator here has been sub-inflation pay rises putting us about 22% below what we were paid in 2008. Hence the push for full pay restoration.

The BMA is going to have to act as a proper trade union for the first time in decades. There's been a real shift in mood amongst active members, from tolerating the pay and conditions and not wanting to appear greedy or ungrateful, to us looking at the second round of IA in 10 years (I think the last IA before that was in the 70s). We even passed a conference motion asking the BMA to "recognise and apologise for its failure to protect junior doctors’ pay over this period".

Year on year I've seen more and more doctors stop working in the NHS. Many of the more junior doctors are just loving off to Australia, which is just as racist as the UK but with better weather and far, far better pay and work conditions. This used to be something people would do for a bit of a 1-year sabbatical, but fewer people are returning. Those that are staying here are now working less than full time and picking up side hustles like cosmetic injection work. The outpatient care available in the NHS now is already dogshit and I genuinely don't think the NHS will provide it at all in 10 years' time. We'll provide a low quality inpatient service and all outpatient work will be private.

So I suppose I'm interested to know what you guys think. I want to get out of the echo chamber I'm in and enter another. I know the media will want to monster us because the media are sickos. Do you think the public would be on side with this? Do you think it even matters?

See how the public and press react to the rail strikes that are likely to get going this month. There's obviously going to be a lot of attacks against the unions for all the old reasons they trot out but people are worried and they are financially hard pressed, there's bound to be a lot of sympathy going out to anyone actually capable of defending their pay and conditions. See what sorts of lines the RMT uses if they get attacked over supposedly already having high pay and try to adapt them to a medical setting to use.

Public support should be an absolutely vital flank of your strategy though, ideally you'd get the workers directly applying pressure on the government and management through withdrawal of labour but also with sympathetic public groups willing to show up to bolster pickets and go on whatever media will have them to support your efforts. Some granny talking about how they don't mind the disruption now because the service is already in such a bad state it needs to be massively improved and that costs money including better pay for the staff they currently have is a PR battleship for your side.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

crispix posted:

A couple of nice Turkish lads just finished clearing out the 4-foot-high brambles from my garden this afternoon so I am going to drink alcohol, gaze across the 15-foot-square wasteland of bare earth and try and figure out what the gently caress I want to put in there.

ed: also strike away winegums. They're going to keep treating you all shittier and shittier unless you kick back.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Runcible Cat posted:

A couple of nice Turkish lads just finished clearing out the 4-foot-high brambles from my garden this afternoon so I am going to drink alcohol, gaze across the 15-foot-square wasteland of bare earth and try and figure out what the gently caress I want to put in there.

ed: also strike away winegums. They're going to keep treating you all shittier and shittier unless you kick back.

Plant meadow flowers. Give the cats something to look photogenic in.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angrymog posted:

Plant meadow flowers. Give the cats something to look photogenic in.

I quite like the thought of herbs. And there's a market stall I know in Walthamstow that sells catnip plants, but the trouble with that is they tend to get rolled/chewed to death by every cat in the area before they get a chance to establish themselves....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I grew a nice sunflower and then some bastard things ate it the moment I transferred it to the yard. So now I'm going to plant Dorset Nagas instead so that they can enjoy trying to eat those.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drat can't believe Guavanaut lives on the UK border with Russia

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dug up a good portion of my backyard recently... the neighbourhood cats love to crap in it and the birds love to have dust baths in all the loose soil, life is truly wonderful. :stonklol:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Runcible Cat posted:

I quite like the thought of herbs. And there's a market stall I know in Walthamstow that sells catnip plants, but the trouble with that is they tend to get rolled/chewed to death by every cat in the area before they get a chance to establish themselves....

And, of course, the cats always look photogenic. They're cats. In evidence I submit:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CambrianNews/status/1532011837667131398

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Enjoy your bender! Drugs are excellent (within reason, or at least mostly within so)

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My lodger is moving out because he's accepted a job offer for such spurious reasons as "career progression", "increased pay", and "proximity to family".

I'm genuinely gutted, it's been so lovely having company. Ugh, why is it so difficult to make friends as an adult?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lady Demelza posted:

My lodger is moving out because he's accepted a job offer for such spurious reasons as "career progression", "increased pay", and "proximity to family".

I'm genuinely gutted, it's been so lovely having company. Ugh, why is it so difficult to make friends as an adult?

Kurt Vonnegut posted:

What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.

It really is an epidemic.

My partner goes to work, and knows all kinds of people, here and across the globe. I know three people irl in the town where I live, and I don't see em often - I spend 90% of my time knocking around the flat on my own. Often posting on these forums. Which is good, but otherwise it sucks. And I'm (usually) working too.

I'm lucky that I'm still very tight with the friends I made when friend-making was still possible (16-25), but still.

I don't know how we all inevitably get sorted into our own little boxes. It just seems to happen.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, all my friends scattered for work, and although we chat and meet up a few times a year, we're too far apart to see each other regularly. Same with family.

I see loads of people from work and at the various places I volunteer, but that doesn't translate into anything. A couple of my colleagues are happy to come over or host of an evening, but don't really like going anywhere or doing anything, and yet everyone is amazed when I toddle off to gigs or restaurants or whatever by myself, as if there was any other option.

It was nice to be able to go to the pub and chat with someone. Ah well.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Enjoy your bender! Drugs are excellent (within reason, or at least mostly within so)

Thanks! It’s a lot of mates I’ve not seen in a long time too so should be lovely.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I first moved back to this town about 6 years ago (I left when I went to uni in the late 70s), I have a handful of family knocking around locally as a kind of 'starter pack'.
Apart from that, I got a part-time job as a cleaner in the local pub so there were people I could say hello to in the street which might seem daft but was actually helpful!

After joining the local Labour Party, I met people that way, and now the covid restrictions are lifted, the quiz night down the pub which I've started going to again most weeks with some of my former comrades (all but 1 of whom have quit Starmer's party) is rebuilding those friendships.

I've picked up with 1 or 2 old school friends who I haven't seen for over 40 years (but who I got on well with at school though not to the extent of staying in touch over the years) still lurking around the town and extremely coincidentally found out last week that my mum's new house is right next door to one of them!

As a basically very shy person, utterly useless at small talk, I always found making friends difficult. I moved schools numerous times as my folks kept moving and they would often move mid school year so all the groups and cliques were all sorted by the time I arrived which I found incredibly difficult to break in to.
Having upped sticks and moved abroad without a job or a 'gentleman companion' to hand and just the names of a few people I had met on an online country-based forum, dumped myself in a strange land. I recommend joining up with a group - whether it's church, politics, community action, darts, quizzes, slimming world or whatever just to sort of start meeting people in a non-intense way.

I don't think any of the people I've become friends with in the past 5 years are bosom buddies (yet - it takes me forever to make friends) and my closest friends I've known for 40/45 years (but none of whom live remotely near me!), but if I was really stuck or in need, I am pretty confident that I could count on help in some way.

Also, don't knock online friendships - I've built up some good online friendships with a handful of people who know my real name, and I know theirs. Eg when I was seriously stuck for accommodation for 3 months some years ago, I posted a moan on facebook and two people who I did know in real life but not very well messaged me offering me free accommodation, people I would never have dreamed of in a million years of asking for help. One online friend from Moldova even phoned me up during the Egyptian revolution to see if I was ok - all the way from Moldova - we'd never spoken before! This isn't all one way btw - it's not just about me getting help, but I have also helped out a couple of friends in different ways.

Lady Demelza posted:

Yeah, all my friends scattered for work, and although we chat and meet up a few times a year, we're too far apart to see each other regularly. Same with family.

I see loads of people from work and at the various places I volunteer, but that doesn't translate into anything. A couple of my colleagues are happy to come over or host of an evening, but don't really like going anywhere or doing anything, and yet everyone is amazed when I toddle off to gigs or restaurants or whatever by myself, as if there was any other option.

It was nice to be able to go to the pub and chat with someone. Ah well.

I started going to gigs on my own back in the late 80s. None of my friends had any taste in music shared my musical tastes and I might have to go to 10 Bon Jovis / Status Quos to get one of 'my' type gigs out of them. Then Cliff Burton was killed and I had a jolly good chat to myself and decided that if I didn't start going to gigs on my own I was never going to see these bands. So anyway, over the next couple of years I gradually built up a group of guys to meet up with at gigs and we would phone each other up if we heard on the grapevine that, for example, a support band called Damage Inc* were going to play the Marquee a night or two before Metallica were due to play Wembley. You get the picture. Ok, we're not bosom buddies, but one of them is one of the people who offered me accommodation mentioned above, and I'm FB friends with a few of them over 30 years later and in regular (well birthday / xmas) contact with a couple of the others.
*these were really Metallica under assumed name, not the modern tribute band.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 2, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, some of my best friends are people I met through metal shows. There's some awful people in scene but there are some wonderful folk too.

I deeply resent that I haven't had the same enjoyment from gigs since being attacked at Faith No More in Edinburgh over a decade ago and basically having a panic attack from the shock of it all. Major bummer. I hope that aggro oval office gets ball cancer

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gotta be honest, I just want A Gang again.

I seem to be enjoying/enduring some sort of second adolescence, since the first one (in hindsight) never felt like it really belonged to me. And also I'm not sure there's much point in taking part in modern 'adult' culture, here, in the foothills of societal collapse.

I just want a bunch of other knuckleheads who're on my wavelength and around to pal around with on the weekends. But almost everyone my age has kids and careers and everyone else is young and kinda annoying (and I wouldn't know how to properly relate with them anyway)

Ah well

forkboy84 posted:

I deeply resent that I haven't had the same enjoyment from gigs since being attacked at Faith No More in Edinburgh over a decade ago and basically having a panic attack from the shock of it all. Major bummer. I hope that aggro oval office gets ball cancer

:smith: that sucks, man. Solidarity.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 2, 2022

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I had a nice bonding moment with a colleague when we realised we'd both picked the same location as a beautiful place to die should we ever decide to commit suicide.

Antrodemus
Mar 8, 2002
hello to the ukmt thread, I have never posted in your lands before but I have a question and don't know where else to ask it

I have to travel to london for work in the next couple of weeks and I will eventually have to take a covid test to return to the us

where and how can I do this in a manner that doesn't involve paying $120 at heathrow, thanks in advance

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1532056696708907010

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Antrodemus posted:

hello to the ukmt thread, I have never posted in your lands before but I have a question and don't know where else to ask it

I have to travel to london for work in the next couple of weeks and I will eventually have to take a covid test to return to the us

where and how can I do this in a manner that doesn't involve paying $120 at heathrow, thanks in advance

https://uk.usembassy.gov/covidtestingproviders/

Honestly if you were just asking for a decent test here I could be more helpful but most of my attempts to Google for your question assumed I was a Brit pretending to be American and treated me like a criminal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Which is ironic as I'm 0% Australian.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, some of my best friends are people I met through metal shows. There's some awful people in scene but there are some wonderful folk too.

Yeah bummer. A friend of mine had a battery thrown at him at a Slayer gig - I don't think it was particularly aimed at him, he was just the unlucky guy that got hit - cut him just above his eyes - had his mugshot in Kerrang. (I think, that or Metal Hammer but I think it was Kerrang).
Worst damage I ever suffered was a black eye the one and only time I got right in the mosh pit. A peripheral person after that!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Small cell batteries and pound coins are at least a little bit better than Panda Pops bottles full of piss, which in turn is a step up from anything that the big boy bikers might have been planning on chucking, from lengths of chain to actual lead acid batteries.

Antrodemus posted:

Going by the long list of 'eat poo poo &c' provided by the US Dept. of State bureau for consular affairs:
"The Department of State does not provide direct medical care to private U.S. citizens abroad." "If the negative viral test result is outside of the 1-day window you will need to test again." "Rapid tests are acceptable as long as they are a viral test acceptable under the Order." it unfortunately looks like you'd have to get a rapid test at Heathrow unless you can get someone within the airport to magic stamp one of the much cheaper tests from out of the rapid antigen test boxes that you should be able to pick up over the counter from any pharmacy while in London.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

"i don't want a dictator I want a queen"

Is it too soon for a new thread title

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/06/01/stonewall-lgbtq-pride-month-study-2022/

quote:

Anti-LGBTQ+ hate comes from just tiny minority of UK public, eye-opening study finds

The UK public is most likely to have feelings of respect and admiration towards LGBTQ+ community, according to new research from Stonewall.

The research – published by the charity on the first day of Pride Month 2022, which also marks 50 years since the first Pride march in the UK – surveyed 2,000 adults across the UK to measure public sentiment towards LGBTQ+ people.

Given a choice of words to describe their feelings toward different sections of the community, the most commonly chosen word was “respect”, followed by “admiration”.

The proportion of respondents who chose the word “respect” was around a third across the board, although people were more likely to say they felt respect for lesbian and gay people (38 per cent and 37 per cent) than bi or trans people (32 per cent and 31 per cent).

Trans people garnered the most admiration from the public (21 per cent), while 19 per cent said they admired gay and lesbian people, and 16 per cent said they admired bisexuals, “which may be related to biphobic stereotypes”, Stonewall noted.

Despite relentless fear-mongering in both the media and the UK government about trans people and trans rights, just four per cent of respondents said they felt “fear” towards trans folk, the same proportion that felt fear towards the rest of the LGBTQ+ community.

Less than 10 per cent of the public chose the word “disgust” when thinking about queer people – nine per cent for gay people, eight per cent for trans and bi people, and just 7 per cent for lesbians – showing that homophobia, biphobia and transphobia are limited to a tiny minority of the UK population.

etc

A comment under the article suggests caution in interpreting the results thus. I think I agree with them.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 2, 2022

Antrodemus
Mar 8, 2002
thank you for the advice, internet friends

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

And, of course, the cats always look photogenic. They're cats. In evidence I submit:

Poke the tum

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Antrodemus posted:

thank you for the advice, internet friends

I know that US employment rights are utter dogshit, so I can probably guess the answer here , but surely if you're travelling for work then your employer should pay for essential travel expenses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Zero to BARBED WIRE GLOVE in 0.0000007 seconds.

(Actually I got a little stroke of his chest patch in before he gave me The Look.)