Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Anyone else's internet broken? Google seems to have died. Which is good, but I want my videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hm. Mobile data is fine. My ISP must be having a shitfit. Annoying

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but have you cleared your browser cache?

You can have a look here if you put your ISP in the search box see if any widespread problem.

https://downdetector.co.uk/

Yeah - same issues on phone over wifi, but mobile data is fine, so I'm guessing it's just EE being a chore again. Thank you though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Would a DNS issue affect both my browser on pc and my phone, but only over the Wi-Fi and not mobile? I will fuss with it. Rebooting the router just for fun. Ugh. EE broadband is pretty decent but once in a while it just has these weird little fits.

Seems to have fixed it for now. I hate networking stuff, when I am even slightly tired it becomes like witchcraft to me. Thank you chums.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 12, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That's one of the best bits in the bible and I wish RE had been less the pious stuff and more the really weird poo poo.

From 2 Kings 2:23-25:
'Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!”

So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the Lord. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.

Then he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria.'

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I mean it probably won't lead to better things for the country, but it is absolutely loving hilarious. Carrie Johnson must be furious.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have roaring hayfever, I hate feeling hot and I can't abide bright light, so for the summer months I basically become a vampire, but like, a mopey, sweaty vampire. It's good to see other people enjoying the sunshine, though. I can manage to like it with judicious use of hats but even then I can't be outside too long.
I can't see in dim light either so basically everything is hilarious now and I am becoming crepuscular

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren:

I’m pleased to invite Night Tories, and all other interested persons, to apply for your next UKMT gang tag.

To receive it, you must reply to this post with a scene from the Thick of It, by the end of the 11th of July, British Summer Time. Unoriginal show content submissions won’t be eligible.

Also, please specify how you want to have it, e.g., your gang tags in a scroll bar, a specific tag replaced, your title or avatar removed, with a pint (though I can’t really help you with that one), or something else.

If you don’t know where to get your bite of the Thick of It, you could definitely do worse than by looking at https://twitter.com/oocthickofit

:siren:

Hello, I would like one please:) Just slap it under the av.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Heat chat:

Who else remembers The Hot Summer of 1976?

I was a stroppy teen and my folks insisted on me going on holiday with them to a Welsh beach somewhere. I spent the whole holiday in heavy jeans, heavy purple cardigan, reading Dead Souls by Gogol and listening to Night at the Opera by Queen. At the end of the holiday, just before leaving for the 4hr drive home, my dad picked me up (fully dressed) and threw me in the sea. I think he regretted having a very wet, very stroppy teen in the car (with several other siblings) chuntering and complaining all the way home. They never made me go on family holiday again!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_British_Isles_heat_wave

The 1976 British Isles heat wave led to the second hottest summer average temperature in the UK since records began. At the same time, the country suffered a severe drought.[2][3] It was one of the driest, sunniest and warmest summers (June/July/August) in the 20th century, although the summer of 1995 is now regarded as the driest. Only a few places registered more than half their average summer rainfall. In the CET record, it was the warmest summer in that series. It was the warmest summer in the Aberdeen area since at least 1864, and the driest summer since 1868 in Glasgow.[4]

Heathrow had 16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July[5] and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F) in Cheltenham.

My mum and dad got married that year on September 4th. All their clothes were arranged with the idea it would still be bitch-hot and by all accounts that was right around the time the weather broke and it pissed down.

She also talks a lot about how many ladybirds there were.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I get free buses now because my eyes are on the wonk. Of course I never loving go anywhere but when I do, it doesn't cost me anything! I could be anywhere! Look out!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

No! We can't only have good things! WE MUST ONLY ACCEPT PERFECT THINGS

Just - he's got a point in there somewhere but loving hell, when you're arguing against feeding the hungry you need to rethink.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thank gently caress the heat's eased off for a bit.

The field mouse who lives in my garden was looking proper wobbly when spotted earlier. We've got water down but I don't really want to feed a mouse, that seems like a bad precedent to set. Poor little bloke.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Agreed. I hope you whipped to abstain when free mouse meals came to a vote

I accidentally put some dry dog food outside. Now that mouse will have no ambition and will not succeed in life.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's so dopey. There are millions of little rodents out there fighting and dying and being eaten every night, but now I'm aware there is a mouse in the garden who was having a hard time and I could not rest until I went to try to do something about it. It's just a mouse. Good grief.

I hope the fox that also lives in the garden doesn't get him.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

Speaking of high BP I had high results when I was invited in for a health check-up so they've asked me to take readings for a week. The doctor on the phone just casually asked if I have a blood pressure machine at home as if it's the most normal thing in the world. Well sphyg my manometer!

It's *fairly* common, speaking as someone who works in pharmacy. You can get em for about 15 quid. I have one because I take ADHD medication and they need me to keep checking that my heart won't explode. As you get older it's going to be something worth having.

e: also goddamn I am seriously considering cutting off my hair. I've had long hair all my life and I have it up in a bun but ugh. The effort. I would look kinda butch but do I care about that? Not reeaallly. Could lean into the non-binary thing. But it feels so irrevocable.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A few years ago I had high blood pressure and for one of those wrist monitors that cost me then (2006) over £50. Useless. If I raised my wrist by 1cm it showed sky high BP and if I dropped it 1cm showed my BP as too low!
I got a refund.
My high BP went away within 2 months of chucking in work, no diet or exercise necessary.
Doc prescribed bp meds which made me feel so unwell I flushed them down the bog.

Also don't go for a BP test when you've just walked 2 miles! I did that couple of years ago on one of my days when I was thin for a week.

Hahaha yeah. People come into the pharmacy for checks and we make them sit down for ten minutes first.

e: the new gangtag really works with my av

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mebh posted:

Short hair is pro on all genders, especially since the uk is turning into a tropical hell country now.

After years of long hair, endless conditioning, careful brushing, getting it caught in car doors, the horror of shower drains and hours of drying in winter I had all 4 feet of mine cut off and sent to a charity for young girl cancer recovery.

That felt good enough, but then stepping out of a shower and running a towel through it ONCE and it being dry honestly made me cry.

Daamn. The dream. Thanks friends, I'll think on it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sometimes after someone passes away, their family basically just sweep all the contents of the medicine cabinet into a bag and bring it to us for disposal. This is sometimes kinda gross but you do find interesting stuff in among the meds. One time someone's driving license which we then had to post to the DVLA. Notebooks, ancient medication bottles. My favourite thing ever, though - I found one of those creepy windup cymbal monkeys. Brought it home, obviously haunted.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

You're leaving yourself open for a bald man to distract you around a corner, choke you into unconsciousness, steal your clothes and hide you in a cupboard.

Listen, you wank your way and I'll wank mine

e: cat tax for new page. 19 years old now. Possibly nearly 20, not quite sure. She sleeps in cute ways.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

Weird that on the way home today I saw... A rainbow? Very unexpected but absolutely welcome to see. Shame I didn't take a snap I was too busy thinking OH GOD I NEED TO GET HOME AND INDOORS LOOK THERES SOME SHADE HUG THE SHADE.

I saw a sundog on the way home on Saturday, very cool.

Bit much this innit

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thank gently caress the rain just got here too. Now I just need this surprisingly well-built 1960s council house to release the heat it's hanging onto

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tomberforce posted:

*Pokes head in from Australia*

You guys ok up there? How would you rate your Australian summer simulation experience day?

Also did they release to Forde report to deliberately coincide with the day where everyone's brain is melting?

It was really hot, I didn't like it at all. Has only cemented my ambition to move to Inverness someday. It was really windy when I left for work (at 1pm) and I thought that'd help but no, no, it was like a loving hairdryer blowing in my face. Don't approve.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting. Do people get told this stuff when they get prescribed meds that might interact badly with food?
My sister can't have grapefruit because it interferes with some heart meds she's been on since she was a teenager so no idea if 'they' told her or if she found out herself.

We tell people about grapefruit quite a lot and it's always in the little leaflet things. Almost nobody reads those, and then you get someone who did and is in a spiral of anxiety because the leaflet says they might get a headache. It's understandable but boy, nobody ever worries about things an appropriate amount. I know I don't.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I had some unicorn barf last time and it's delicious. The marshmallowy feeling of it. Yum.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

What big union should I join? There isn't really one specific to my workplace. Unite? Unison? What's less shite? I want to do my part.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Hopper and Owly what do you do? Some unions may be more relevant than others.

If there's already one recognised by your employer then that's the obvious pick but it sounds like no.

I'm a dispensing assistant in a pharmacy. Pharmacists and technicians have their own organisations but I just get paid 9.65 an hour to run the loving place almost by myself

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jakabite posted:

If you sit there moaning and don’t do owt then you’re complicit. I’d say make exceptions for those who can’t but I know loads of vulnerable people who do. Do something about it other than a tick in the box or shut the gently caress up.

Taking a swing at anyone in particular?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lol what a time to start realising I'm non-binary

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

There's no better time than as soon as you can. Good on you and welcome to our ill-defined club

Thanks chum!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Guess I better get that Irish passport ordered quick smart before things get silly. Is it going to cause any trouble holding an Irish one and a British one? Cuz if I have to pick one I'll probably do the Irish one. I fly very, very seldom so a bit of a hold up at the airport is less concern than 'full access to the EU'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks friends! I actually had an Irish parent (my dad, miss him) so it's even easier for me.

e: political journey - was a child under Thatcher, learned to hate her, the most right I ever got was 'surely there is a sensible medium' but I grew out of that quick-smart. My first vote was in the 1997 election. I miss feeling hopeful like that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

crispix posted:

surely less painful to just use pen and paper

I understand the pen but how would you get the paper up there

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Waheeyyyyy!!! Love to see it. I’m inordinately happy as a) a football fan and b) a man with an 11 year old sister who’s into sports. Just great stuff :)

Two of my nieces play football, they'll be delighted

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Lt Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) has died :(

I know it's not UK pol but she was such a tremendous influence on young women (esp of colour) and I was watching Star Trek original back in the late 60s (well 1969+ anyway) before I was 10 years old.

This one kinda got me a bit. :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Since this thread has some good historians, another goon was wondering aloud if there's any books that deep dive into German public knowledge of what was going on during the Reich up to the point of liberation by the Allied forces, how much the propaganda was believed/disputed and how those who disbelieved it got information. Does anyone know of any books like that? Most of the stuff that easily comes to hand is more about the actions of the resistance movement whereas they were, and made me, curious about the general population.

I have a book called Hitler's Willing Executioners which is about ordinary Germans and the Holocaust specifically. I have not read it though so if the author is a dickhead I can only apologise for mentioning it:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You don't need to read books if you put them on your bookshelf the information will naturally flow via the osmotic process into the area of least information concentration, i.e your brain.

Source: It is known.

:hai:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I live near the site of a psychiatric hospital (not there now) and when I was a kid, whenever the fire alarm went off inside-- which it did weekly at least-- it sounded an air raid siren outside. Ah, the 80s and the ever present sense of looming nuclear Armageddon.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

loving why are those even on TV. We can't vote in it. It means nothing. Augh

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm not aware of any opinion he holds to be honest. Except a general sense that he'd be a Tory if they weren't so ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Well it must be getting some traction, the sign-up page is broken