Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

I didn't realise after talking to a consultant friend with the NHS that when they get a referral, their dept doesn't get paid unless they see the person in an appt and they turn up. So they're disincentivised from quickly solving easy issues by replying to the gp or giving the patient a quick call and the waiting lists grow massively long.

Madness.

This is BS.

Easy issues can be solved if the GPs are competent but years of burning down the primary care service have reduced the actual competent workforce down to nearly nothing.

Now you have fresh GPs, overseas imports ans paramedical staff promoted beyond the scope of their ability who have neither the experience nor incentive to act as anything more than a glorified triage service.

So many times a comprehensive response has been sent back only for the person who picks it up in the surgery to go tl:dr and instead send a referral to jam the waiting lists up even more. Or you find that the diagnosis was not even correct in the first instance and now there's a whole medicolegal can of worms to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

That loving blows. Doesn't the fund allocation very much vary by area and even hospital? I assume its different everywhere if that sounds like bs to you as likely I'm explaining it poorly second hand. I wouldn't expect my mate to be making that up though.

It used to be something called payment by results where the hospital would be paid per case. I could see the reasoning under this system to accumulate referrals as it would mean more £££. I don't actually know if this is still a thing though because of:

These days it's usually a block contract where the hospital/department gets paid a set amount (based on an estimated number of cases) by the commissioners. As I recall this is renegotiated every few years (five?) so if there's a sudden jump in demand you could be seeing 2x the number of referrals incoming for the same amount of money. It really incentivises dealing with patients as quickly and "efficiently" as possible (ideally by never letting them darken your door in the first place). As you might imagine, this leads to a whole new set of equally troublesome issues.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The man takes a drink. The drink takes a drink. The drink takes a man.

Hi-ho the derry-o

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Speaking of strikes the junior doctors are asking for a reinstation of pay equivalent to 2008 levels or it's strike time. Let's see if anything comes of this.

The govt is going to pass a law making it illegal for doctors to go on strike.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

We all still have to remove our shoes at the airport because of one guy who failed to bomb a flight over 20 years ago, but cloth masks in packed public transport is an imposition too far.

Dont forget the mandatory groping because the other idiot tried to smuggle explosive budgies.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Counterpoint, Ireland should annex England

Special Military Operations for everyone!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

It is a bit annoying that it's generally only the Catholic space fascists who get the 'yes, this is an awful faction run by awful people, but here's a nice, relatable protagonist stuck inside the system for you to cheer on' treatment.

Give us some Chaos-worshipping freedom fighters battling against 'the cruellest, most bloody regime imaginable', people.

Ascension Day has an oppressed underclass rising up against their fascist, technocratic masters. There are strong themes of family and community.

Genestealers, of course.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

Calling an election whilst the opposition party is in the middle of a leadership election is one of those things so obviously rotten you'd think our unwritten constitution would have something to say about it

Boris should make Keith a Lord to really rub it in.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are spiders and bees everywhere and I live in a suburb. So many spiders infesting the laundry. Watched one suck a huge Johnsongreenbottle dry in it's web the other day.

Not many flies though, which is a blessing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I stopped reading banks half way through excession cos honestly I kinda got a bit bored.

But I think I vaguely recall something like that being mentioned possibly in another book or in a summary online or something.

Excession is a really hard read. It was my first and nearly bounced off as well since the concept sounds really cool but the execution is hard to follow if you dont know the universe. The other books are better if you haven't tried them yet.

Surface Detail and Hydrogen Sonata have a fairly normal story structure and are far more accessible.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm now imagining you getting scammed by someone spoofing a bank building

In places where online/telephone banking isn't so common you have stories of people being 'charmed' by witch doctors instead.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

If we decide to break international law, renege on the Brexit agreement with the EU, destroy the Good Friday Agreement and also flout WTO rules, then we are going to be eventually sanctioned.

Johnson's probably looking at how well sanctions are working on Russia and thinking nbd we got this.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

dont like it melt simple as

All the melts gonna evaporate.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This brexit is poo poo really for sole traders.

I've an artist relative and she got a commission from someone in the EU.
Now she's trying to make head or tail of what the heck she is supposed to charge for VAT and Customs, what she is responsible for, what the recipient is responsible for, commodity codes and all that stuff.(She's finished the artwork so it's too late to decline it. I did warn her that it might be difficult to actually send it!)
She's not VAT registered as she's lucky to make just a few £000 a year.
I'm trying to help her figure it out but my head is spinning.
Surfing from site to site, I found a figure and accidentally closed the tab and now the page isn't showing in my history.

Send it as a gift valued at €1?

Unless your relative is like super famous I find it dubious anyone in customs is going to recognise or care about the value of art.

I think the record I've heard is 3 Warlord Titans (Warhammer kits the size of a toddler) making it past customs untaxed with nary a second glance.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

An actual good and fascinating story from the Guardian about the personal fallout there's been from the crypto crash:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...he-crypto-crash

So many amateurs who saw Bitcoin spiraling ever higher and genuinely believed that this was their one chance to gain financial security, it's really sad.

Ponzi scheme gonna ponzi except this time there isn't a Bernie Madoff to chuck into prison.

I hope it dies a miserabletruly spectacular death as a warning to all.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Not that I want to turn this into a butts thread, but was the guy in that story who had $525,000 and lost it all ever able to realistically turn that into regular currency or was it just an imaginary number on an app?

Very slowly and with great difficulty.

In the US the IRS would be demanding a cut as well. With how crypto goes you could owe the IRS on proceeds of that 100s of 1000s despite that investment cratering to :10bux:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Congrats on winning. But I've got to say I'm not sure taking bongs and other large glass vaping devices out in public is the best way to fix the stigma. It makes it come across as something you're doing for fun rather than for medicinal purposes. If you're doing it more for getting rid the stigma of cannabis for recreational use I still think it's not the best way.

Kinda of like the image differences between someone sitting on a park bench sipping with a can of cider compared to sipping from a bottle of vodka. It has different conatasions.

There's also the stigma against smoking in general which is actually very good and needs to be reinforced constantly.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Just for the record, I don't smoke. I always vape.

That's cool by me :everstrike:

Tesseraction posted:

It seems being a WoC in the modern Tory party you have to be neo-Nazi adjacent to stand a hope of being taken seriously.

It's like being an evangelical convert, you have to double down to make sure you fit in with the rest of the assholes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

also from the tweet thread hmbol:

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1546932571501727746

let us not be too hasty to feed hungry children lest they cease to be ambitious

Immortan Keith, probably

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Given that you would have to have a very permissive recovery department for when people for whatever reason lose their one unified ID for everything or become victims of fraud, the question then becomes why the gently caress do we have all this poo poo in the first place if you're still going to have to post the government three bank statements to get your card back in the end?

Link it to your biometrics and have everyone that needs to verify your ID with that card confirm it with a fingerprint scanner.

Even if your card gets nicked its useless unless they snip off your thumbs as well. Also having info like your address and dob become less critical since you still need the fingerprint to verify.

It really isn't that hard and it would make life so much easier than needing to cart around bank statements and utility bills.

Also all immigrants already have ID cards that do some of the above courtesy of the home office. It would actually make things more equal if the locals have to carry them as well.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

The reason the long acting stuff is "better" is because it will get all of them. If one animal eats the quick acting stuff and dies immediately the rest of them will be warned off and leave it completely.

Sorry for the grim reading on a saturday evening but I had to deal with rats and it isn't a nice experience.

I remember a goon saying not to use poison as you'd then end up with rotting rats in the walls?

It's a shame OP is allergic to cats because a cat is really the easiest option. The rats know one is about and will promptly GTFO.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

We never had any mice in the house until our cat started bringing us little gifts (sometimes dead, sometimes less so) from next door's garden.

Send your neighbor an invoice for pest control services rendered.

I'm pretty sure we will never have mouse problems our street is literally crawling with cats.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Godskin Noble Truss

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thank you to the kind goons recommending foil on the outside of windows. Spent this morning ghetto-crafting reflective panels which I've now hung outside and it's a chilly 25c inside now.

It's the sixth circle of hell outside.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

This feels like a dumb af question, but is the heat affecting Internet speeds? Our connection has been patchy and slow all day, and loads of people at work are having similar issues.

Maybe some data centre is struggling as their air con can't handle the heat?

I'm definitely finding my work vpn stuttering a lot.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Muslims have you covered.
One of my muslim friends shared this. She normally lives in Saudi Arabia but is currently in the UK. "At least they have AC in Saudi" she said.

Jahannam is basically hell.

Jahanam is such a cool curse. Much better than hell, or gently caress, or poo poo.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Surprise T Rex posted:

The Sainsbury's near me (and the Co-Op too maybe?) have big monitors above the till showing a live CCTV thing of you. One of them has MONITORING IN PROGRESS written on it. All a bit ominous tbh.

In fan related chat: took apart a slow-spinning fan the other day to lube the motor with 3-in-1 oil hoping it would help, and now for some reason the fan needs a kickstart to get spinning when the blades are on and still spins at about 10% of the speed it should. Oiling the bearings has somehow made it worse.

If the fan spins slowly the motor is on it's way out.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Surprise T Rex posted:

Is there any way to extend its lifespan? When I took it apart the motor didn't seem particularly user-serviceable in any way tbh.
Might remove the rotating oscillating gear bit just so there's one less thing for the motor to have to spin, but given that it's not set to oscillation mode it's probably not really making much of a difference to the power anyway.

I don't know. I've just binned the fans when they get to that state. I don't think the motor is serviceable unless you're an electrical engineer. They're only 15 quid a pop from the electrical wholesalers anyway.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The swastikas are a nice touch.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Apraxin posted:

'All economic problems are the fault of Gordon Broon, who - as everyone knows - spent All the Poonds' has been a successful election message for the last decade, no reason for them to change it now.

The Age of Strife, the Long Night and the coming of Chaos are the fault of Gordon Broon

- The Emperor, M29

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

I've literally said aloud "I'm glad I emigrated" four times this week and it's only Thursday.

Like, it doesn't loving matter if it's a skilled or unskilled job - gently caress it if it's a doctor or someone on the till at Tesco's - literally all this is doing is stealing the dignity and powers from the plebs so we can do as we please. Because we can, and gently caress you.

I wonder where they're gonna get all these 'agency workers' from.

Anyone with the training and skills would already be doing the job.
Foreign workers are difficult to hire even if you want to and it's politically inconvenient to start poaching professionals from abroad unless they're planning to use Ukrainians.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

We tell people about grapefruit quite a lot and it's always in the little leaflet things. Almost nobody reads those, and then you get someone who did and is in a spiral of anxiety because the leaflet says they might get a headache. It's understandable but boy, nobody ever worries about things an appropriate amount. I know I don't.

No need to worry about it until you turn yellow or start spontaneously haemorrhaging out of every orifice.

Thank god for e-prescribing and automatic interaction checking imo.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Suddenly find out there are 50k members from the Conservative Association of Kiev who vote RON - Boris

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Honestly decent fresh ground beans and a standard drip coffee machine make an extremely delicious pot of hot fresh coffee for the morning with zero effort.

2 spoons of options hot chocolate and mixing the coffee with 70% milk will make even instant coffee delicious.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

unless youve got like your own butler or something, using smart devices to make your home life easier/better is not the same as crossing the luddite picket line.

You could get stux-netted like an Iranian nuclear plant.

Imagine someone getting control of the thermostat and maxing it out in 40-degree heat.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's not about them turning the brightness on your TV so high that it explodes, it is about them gaining access to your TV and then pivoting into the rest of your network and then getting all your data and logins so that they can get money.

Though most of the time the human is the weakest part of the chain in that network.

Unless you manage to enforce basic opsec on your entire household it's pretty much a foregone result that your home network is going to have gaps in it.

It's hard enough to get family to shred documents on a regular basis and I think I've had the Alexa=bad conversation with my other half many, many times.

Not having any other people in the household is also a solution I guess.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 25, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you're all mental

You drive a car that comes with day-zero paid DLC. I'll stick to mental tyvm.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Also the default voice for all digital servants is female, which is #problematic!!!

There used to be a Brian Blessed GPS theme (Garmin?). Get him to do some lines for the digital assistants.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

China is at the forefront of non-fentanyl synthetic opioids that can be produced without any controlled precursors,most consumer goods in the UK so that might not work out as planned.

Ftfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There are a lot of people who wil be sceptical about a source reporting on their own street, but if it's that same source reporting on a mortal enemy from the cold war that is on the other side of the planet, then they just accept it.

It's a great distraction, see trump and his "Gyna" antics.

It's his wife's Indian influence maybe. Modi whispering into his ear.