Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My lodger is moving out because he's accepted a job offer for such spurious reasons as "career progression", "increased pay", and "proximity to family".

I'm genuinely gutted, it's been so lovely having company. Ugh, why is it so difficult to make friends as an adult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, all my friends scattered for work, and although we chat and meet up a few times a year, we're too far apart to see each other regularly. Same with family.

I see loads of people from work and at the various places I volunteer, but that doesn't translate into anything. A couple of my colleagues are happy to come over or host of an evening, but don't really like going anywhere or doing anything, and yet everyone is amazed when I toddle off to gigs or restaurants or whatever by myself, as if there was any other option.

It was nice to be able to go to the pub and chat with someone. Ah well.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I had a nice bonding moment with a colleague when we realised we'd both picked the same location as a beautiful place to die should we ever decide to commit suicide.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
@WhatEvil, thanks I will have a look at Meet Up. I vaguely remember signing up in early 2020 just after my relationship crumbled, only for the the rest of the world to fall apart.

In other news I have fallen over and taken the skin off my knees, palms and the top of one foot. Serves me right for going to a Jubilee Party.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Majestic tumbling.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

sebzilla posted:

poo poo loads of empty shelves in the supermarket, at a guess it's because the chillers couldn't keep things below legal temps and so whole sections were just getting dumped.

Yup, the canteen at work was selling sandwiches for 50p because the fridges couldn't cope and stock was going to be thrown away at the end of the afternoon.

Open fridges and freezers are dumb and waste energy.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to be able to send my utility company a meter reading but builders have effectively blocked off access for the last four months. They took on more jobs than they can handle and are doing about 2 hours a week here. It's not even going to be what I really want even if they get around to finishing it, but I'm beyond caring.

I absolutely loath tradesmen.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Pensions are great but the pension age has steadily risen and is now 68, and will probably increase. It's going to be interesting when you've got people with early-stage dementia or arthritis trying to do 8 hour days and either don't realise they are unwell or are afraid to take early retirement.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Businesses are going to be completely screwed. My local takeaway has jacked up the prices by 20% already and they've cut down on portion size too. There are several that have closed for a summer holiday until September and I wonder if some of them will decide not to reopen.

All the businesses who pushed for staff to go back into the office this time last year are going to be in for a shock when staff take them up on that.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

stev posted:

We're going to end up with people wanting to go into the office because the cost of the commute is significantly cheaper than the cost of being at home for an extra 10 hours each day.

Heating, plugging in phones to charge, hot food in the canteen that may well be cheaper than cooking your own, plus some offices have shower facilities. If we can just find a way to plumb in a washing machine then we're sorted.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Half ten on a weekdays evening? That's the sort of timing I associate with passive aggressive managers.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My power company just doubled my DD but is giving me warnings that it still isn't going to be enough to cover my predicted annual useage. Given that I'm in credit and always have been, I had a small huff and then calculated the cost of energy (at 55p electricity and 15p gas per unit) using my useage statistics for the most expensive month last winter.

Goddamit they're right. If this January is like last January, my DD will cover about a third of the total bill.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Do you remember the time when people were chucking milkshakes over pro-Brexit politicians? I do, every time I read an article about politicians who voted to allow sewage to be dumped in rivers. Except not milkshakes.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My local MP uses the same definition of 'local' that Ryanair does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A study into early detection of dementia used Iris Murdoch's novels (among others) as an example. Apparently her writing became progressively more repetative - as in, her vocabulary shrank, not that she recycled plot - before she was diagnosed. She wasn't the only author in the study but she was the one the press focussed on.

Here it is: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2004/dec/iris-murdochs-last-novel-reveals-first-signs-alzheimers-disease

This could genuinely be a movie poster.