Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I used (still use) AirBnB a lot whenever I couldn't afford a hotel.

Which is pretty often, if you need to travel for more than a weekend for personal reasons (i.e. not holidays or work reimbursing it) it's not feasible to spend £80+ a day on a hotel stay.

Don't know about the ethics of it, was less of a choice and more of a necessity.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

1965917 posted:

This is Britain we're talking about.

They'd be a bunch of wheely bins turned on their sides and hot glued together.

£100 a night.

Wheely Bin Plus with wifi £149.

Edinburgh has something like this already, it's more like a bunch of porta-cabins glued together though.

They still charge outrageous amounts and it was the single worst hotel experience of my life, to the point where I moved out on the first night into my 5 night stay.

Hostels and real capsule hotels are far preferable to that and I've stayed in many, including capsule hotels in Asia which are pretty neat.

fe: I found it; apparently they do have regular rooms but this is the "room" I had:

Yes it's just that bed and there is no appreciable ventilation or sound isolation. No windows in the room that I had either, obviously.

I think the ventilation bit is the worst, it smells suffocatingly like a public bog at a festival.

e: They want £120 per night for that "room without a window" for the upcoming long weekend LMBO.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 1, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that sounds wheely good

Some quality reviews, most recent on tripadvisor (all 1 star, despite the place somehow having 3 stars, makes you wonder):

quote:

BOOK ANYWHERE ELSE
This room is insane. No window? Fine, I knew that when I booked it. But this room is so small you can’t put a suitcase on the floor. There just isn’t any room. It is so claustrophobic, I have no idea how I am going to stay here today. An we’re here for 3 nights! It the kind of room that ruins a break away. It’s horrible. I can’t understand how anyone could give this hotel more then 1 star. Im seriously considering sleeping in my car. There would be more room there.

quote:

Do NOT book this hotel. Ridiculous. Premier inn only £10 extra a night
The rooms are advertised as small but what we walked into was like a prison cell. No window and told at reception that they control the heating from there. No lift. Couldn’t swing a cat in there.

The bed was not a double at all, slightly bigger than a single. I’m 5 foot 6 and my feet were almost hanging off the end, never mind my partner who’s over 6 foot. Me and my partner didn’t stay for over 20 minutes, checked out and booked the premier inn two doors down for only an extra tenner for a night with much bigger rooms.

When you walk in there’s baggage and bin bags all over downstairs.

Only positive was helpful guy on reception who could only apologise when we checked out.

quote:

Bad experience
We were in a double room with window. The sides of the staircases that take you to the rooms and to reception are used as storage with bags and fans etc, an eyesore. The room was much smaller than expected and also not clean, the bottom of my partners feet were black from dirt off the floor. The view from the window was not particularly nice either. There were various scrapes and damages to the room door and walls, as well as stains on the wall inside the room. Overall not a great experience here, and especially not a good room for two people.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I guess it'd be fair to say they're hotels for people who literally just need a roof over their head for the night, if they didn't price the rooms not much lower than a regular travelodge / airbnb room.

See, but that's the thing, I found an AirBnB room for a bit more than half the price - and it was a nice, spacious tenement bedroom.

Slightly further from the city centre but still within walking distance.

e: For the upcoming long weekend when easyhotel charge £120 per night for their windowless cabins you can get the room below for £70 per night and it will be a short walk away:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 1, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jubbly bubbly, your artisan-crafted e-cig juice.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jakabite posted:

I give my permission as someone who’s going on a massive drugs bender tomorrow to strike. My heart ain’t as important as workers rights! (This sounds sarcastic but isn’t) (don’t worry just going to primavera, not on some depressive thing) (no, the Spanish health service won’t be dealing with me - the high should just about keep me alive til I return, then it’s touch and go)

Best of luck with your jubbly bash, stay safe and that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Epic High Five posted:

He wriggled his way out of this one as well I take it?

Not sure if that is a question or a statement.

Either way, yes.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

A friend of mine who volunteers at a local primary school helps teach children how to grip a pen and draw as they are starting school only able to use touch screen devices.

If this isn't a joke this is a profoundly odd expectation to me, coming from eastern europe, where kids start school at 7 years old and don't always know how to grip a pen either (even when I went to school before touchscreens became widespread) and nobody really cares.

Quite honestly it might be due to different cultural expectations, the educational outcomes in my native country are basically tied with the UK (which is to say not that great among developed countries) despite the above.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Didn't they do the whole racebaiting "single black economic migrants who belong in Africa anyway" thing? Because this doesn't look like a group of African economic migrants to me:

Sky News posted:

The four potential deportees who lost High Court bids earlier to avoid being put on the plane include:

• an Iraqi Kurd who had suffered PTSD in Turkey while travelling to the UK and had brought a claim asking not to be removed due to his mental health and his relationship with his sister, who lives in the UK
• a Vietnamese man who claimed to have received death threats from loan sharks in Vietnam who was also denied after the judge rejected an argument that he was denied translation services
• a man who travelled to the UK from Iran with his 21-year-old son and had asked the court to prevent his removal due to his mental health and a right to a family life
• an application by a Kurdish man who was also refused permission to appeal.

And those are the ones who lost. Wonder how bad were the ones who get removed right away. Well there was that Iranian police chief who refused to order the shooting of protesters, that was a good one too. Real reward for moral self-sacrifice there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Let's not forget this earlier comment too which seemed off at the time.

Oh hey what's the genocide denial redtext about? It says Ask, so, :v:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

happyhippy posted:

They were wanting to scrap Human Rights and rewrite it even before the vote was cast for Brexit.
This could be the start of them doing so.

Given the examples they chose it really might be them trying to push/establish boundaries on the first go.

I don't doubt they could have found a single planeful of actual economic migrants somewhere.

e: As in it looks like they went out of their way to find actual refugees. I mean come on, a former police chief pursued by one of the most murderous and UK-hostile regimes in the world, how is that an economic migrant by any possible measure.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 15, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Angepain posted:

i guess not being dead is normally good for one's spending power. a clear example of selfish money-hungry behaviour

I mean, who looks at this:

BBC posted:

The former commander, who is not being named in order to protect his identity, was sentenced by an Iranian military court to almost five years in jail and a demotion for refusing to shoot protesters during anti-government demonstrations in Iran in 2019 triggered by a sharp rise in petrol prices. He was in charge of 60 police officers at the time.

The former commander had faced being flown to the African nation on Tuesday. He had said he feared being found and killed by Iranian agents there.

The man had previously given testimony in the UK to an investigation into alleged Iranian atrocities in 2019.

and thinks yeah, that's a good example of an economic migrant.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How did he get here? Are they picking people that crossed in dinghies and paid people smugglers?

He flew in from Turkey after illegally crossing the border on the run from the law. The way you're supposed to get in as a refugee!

I mean I guess he didn't fly in from Iran. Bit hard to do I imagine if you're (very much) wanted by the police.

e: And the Dublin agreement about safe countries (not sure if that applies anymore anyway since Brexit) only applies to the EU, not the whole world.

e2: It doesn't:

some official page posted:

The Dublin Regulation (also known as Dublin III) is EU law setting out which country is responsible for looking at an individual’s asylum application. This is usually the country where the asylum seeker first arrives in the EU. The Dublin Regulation applies to EU Member States and Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. The UK was bound by the Dublin Regulation until 31 December 2020.

In September 2020, the EU adopted the New Pact on Migration and Asylum after consultations with the European Parliament, Member States and others. The New Pact sets out that no Member State should disproportionately take responsibility but that all should participate.

In 2021, the UK Government announced plans to overhaul its asylum system. These plans have been met with criticism and concern from some EU Member States and the UN.

As the UK is no longer bound by the Dublin Regulation there are significant questions regarding whether the UK can return asylum seekers to the EU without a replacement returns mechanism. The UK Government has expressed its intention to agree bilateral deals with EU Member States for this purpose, however a number of EU Member States have said they will not agree to these.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 15, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Noxville posted:

Want to hear any of the ‘get the Tories out’ lot explain what the point is if the policies remain the same

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1537049789577183235?s=21&t=ryw3tDnky1XhaAlSNRDyOA

I listened to Priti Patel speech in the commons and she didn't get really challenged by Labour on her 'it's them euro bastard courts' (paraphrasing obvs) speech.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Runcible Cat posted:

Can't seem to get the Eye of Sauron on Big Ben, alas...

This worked a bit better, still not perfect but hey:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Where does a space marine buy his power armour?

Primarch.

Don't know if they have the colours he likes:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Guess who tested positive for The Rona?

It was inevitable, my mum tested positive on Sunday, then it's hit me today like a tonne of bricks.

Given the prevalence figures that's not anything special these days:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ilot/17june2022

ONS posted:

In England, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 1,131,000 (95% credible interval: 1,066,000 to 1,196,100), equating to 2.07% of the population or around 1 in 50 people.
In Wales, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 64,800 (95% credible interval: 49,400 to 83,400), equating to 2.13% of the population or around 1 in 45 people.
In Northern Ireland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 42,900 (95% credible interval: 32,600 to 54,300), equating to 2.34% of the population or around 1 in 45 people.
In Scotland, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 176,900 (95% credible interval: 152,900 to 202,200), equating to 3.36% of the population or around 1 in 30 people.

Keeping in mind people do stop testing positive relatively quickly.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

And that's one of the better ones at that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/HarrietSergeant/status/1539156744617791489?s=20&t=ldDLoJgd_AArlTi9W_0WjA

My definitely real 17 year old lodger from Ukraine who has never heard of trade unions, & apparently doesn't realise that buses exist.

Some bus staff appear to be striking too TBF.

I know because I'm trying to figure out how to get to the airport on Thursday without a car. So far the best plan is to spend hours waiting in a queue hoping I get onto one of the few trains running.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bug Squash posted:

Jesus Christ the comments on the Twitter are an antivac and conspiracies cesspool. I though Sky News had at least a sane audience, even if a bit right wing.

Well Graun twitter comments are full of fash too.

I could be biased given I may or may not work for them and all but I think they're editorially a lot like NBC/CNBC these days. Which wouldn't be surprising given who owns it. So not left but more like mainstream American lib.

e: Kay Burley though I have no explanation for. Maybe it's the requisite rightwing 'common sense' 'tough-talking' person.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 22, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Czech Republic has free (and quite decent) childcare and education.

The cost of education in the UK frankly terrifies me, no children for me while I live here.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Funnily I think I liked that less that consider phlebas because it seemed like the most mundane of the ones I read. To the point that I can remember almost nothing about it other than the general plot synopsis of the leader of faze clan being sent to dunk on the esports tournament civilization so he can win the mountain dew sponsorship for the culture.

Literally no other memory of the novel at all other than "man good at games, goes to game planet, beats everyone on game planet, game planet self destructs because foreigner won game tournament"

Which is weird cos the book is several centimeters thick so presumably a lot of other things must have happened and I must have read them but I couldn't tell you what they are.

The easiest to read are the last three, ideally in the order of Surface Detail/Matter/Hydrogen Sonata. Look to Windward isn't too difficult either.

Don't read Inversions or Use of Weapons unless you want more difficult reads though. UoW is written in a weird intervowen order that only makes sense at the end and Inversions is written entirely from the perspective of a low-technology civilization.

e: Surface Detail has the hypercapitalism bits everyone likes to quote.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 1, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Necrothatcher posted:

In the 90s my family moved into a house last renovated in the 70s and the bathroom had bright blue shag carpeting. Deranged.

e: basically this

Hey now I have bright blue shag carpet! Not in my bathroom though.

That's probably the most pertinent bit but I felt like I had to defend the honour of bright blue shag carpets.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Hang on. In what way is the US system 'mixed'? Unless you mean the electoral college, I guess, which is FPTP-but-worse and also only applies to the President; Congress and the Senate matter too, you know.

They probably mean Presidential elections? But those are still via the EC so I dunno.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Mail isn't Murdoch, it's the Rothermere's trust.

Which is... not better

He has an, ahh, 'interesting' wording on his wikipedia page:

wiki posted:

His open support for fascism and praise for Nazism and the British Union of Fascists contributed to the popularity of those views in the 1930s. That ambition, for which Rothermere became best known, was not successful, and he died in Bermuda early in the war.

"Ambition" indeed.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

What a Cercle jerk.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

ThomasPaine posted:

That's obviously shady as hell but iirc was the (official) reason for this not that they were pro-Russia, or at least not sufficiently pro-Ukraine in the conflict?

Yeah there's several leftist parties apparently, but only the Russian-sponsored ones (communist or not, there's a bunch of regional separatist ones *cough*SNP*cough*) got banned.

That bit about SNP is just a joke obvs

e: they also banned some nazbol and fash ones with Russian ties, but in practice the one with the most popular support was a regionalist party

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 6, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Matinee posted:

According to his wiki, Tugendhat is banned from entering China by the CCP.

Which would be an... interesting position for a world leader to be in if it comes to that

edit: its more than that, he's sanctioned so no Chinese person or institution can do business with him at all.

I wonder if the Czechs would let the Tugendhats sell their unesco world heritage villa restored for government money if he becomes PM.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Some Tory twat summarising Boris's achievements on BBC just said he "Prevented a terrifying anti-Semite from reaching number 10" (thank you google for correcting the spelling of antisemite).

Just absolutely taking the piss.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm more surprised by how staggeringly ugly it all looks.

Even though I'm sure it was arranged to looks so intentionally.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, it's casually offensive to everyone throughout. It's okay for fiction to do that provided that the reader understands that isn't an endorsement of how to behave in reality. The big difference in this case is that it also appears that the author forgot that.

IMO the much more damming bit is that the main character is a glaringly obvious Mary stu self-insert of Boris.

Cynical scandal-prone MP with messy hair stops a terrorist plot to blow up the US president while being pursued for his romantic scandals and indiscretions despite the good he does, I mean come the gently caress on.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Cimber posted:

I'm...having a problem seeing from those photos what he did wrong. People sometimes look awkward momentarily when eating or doing other bodily functions, and the camera just happened to snap the right moment.

It was thinly veiled anti-semitism (the actual not fictitious kind) - making pig's breakfast out of the bacon sarnie, two kitchens, metropolitan elites and all that.

Funny how all that is good-natured political journalism but opposing Isreali policies is vile antisemitism.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 8, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren:

I’m pleased to invite Night Tories, and all other interested persons, to apply for your next UKMT gang tag.

To receive it, you must reply to this post with a scene from the Thick of It, by the end of the 11th of July, British Summer Time. Unoriginal show content submissions won’t be eligible.

Also, please specify how you want to have it, e.g., your gang tags in a scroll bar, a specific tag replaced, your title or avatar removed, with a pint (though I can’t really help you with that one), or something else.

If you don’t know where to get your bite of the Thick of It, you could definitely do worse than by looking at https://twitter.com/oocthickofit

:siren:

https://twitter.com/OOCThickOfIt/status/1544075601140760579

I would like a gang tag please (my first one and all that, I missed out on the previous UKMT ones). If possible please keep my title, it's very UKMT too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 11, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it's not fully-costed innit

To be more charitable sometimes there is weird 4D chess with amendments.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

That's an extremely Frank Fields view.

Thankfully we don't hear from him anymore.

e: incidentally he's now a cross-bench peer but didn't bother to vote

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 12, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Isn't that pro-trans? Or am I reading it wrong.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Chinese Gordon posted:

-Massive Brexit psycho, though probably not stupid enough to actually get us embargoed.

I suspect her Brexit psycho creds were more a political move than anything, seeing as she lived in Romania and whatnot. So probably what you said.

Much like Boris for that matter.

e: Hunt and Zahawi are out.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 13, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Barry Foster posted:

200,000 covid dead in the UK as of today

I remember when early on people were joking about "MM-M-M-Megadeath!" and now it's like, meh, couple million, it's not me or anyone I know.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Dabir posted:

The situation in the US is that they're once Republican victory away from even the barest pretence of democracy evaporating. And if the Dems don't fix the supreme court, the Republicans *will* win 2024, because the court is about to hand the states a license to cheat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANrBplbZsFM

Yes but at least the dems don't copy the Republican platform wholesale. Which is an important difference compared to current Labour frontbench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rishi was the shortest in the debate where the other 3 were women.

I mean I know it doesn't matter, but he's an asshat, so.