Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-downing-street-lockdown-parties-were-needed-to-keep-up-morale-hlxz0nb6m

quote:

Boris Johnson has said that he was justified in attending leaving parties while people were unable to say goodbye to their dying loved ones during lockdown because it was important to “keep morale high”.

He said he had been “very, very surprised and taken aback” to be issued with a fine by police over his attendance.

In an interview with the website Mumsnet, the prime minister said that he would not “abandon the project” and resign despite the “totally miserable” experience of the parties scandal, adding that he was taking the “responsible” approach.

Headline article on The Times.

loving Mumsnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mumsnet - first question to Spaffer:

"Why should we believe anything you say when it's been proven you're a habitual liar?"

https://twitter.com/AlexofBrown/status/1531969453306654721?s=20&t=JrumDbbzsxDTEXe2-Xa5CQ

It’s interesting. Mumsnet got nominated, I think most prominently by Dominic C, as an easily influenceable bellweather for middle class Tory nimbyism — a useful battleground in the culture wars. Lots of ‘concerned in MK’ and ‘I’m not racist, but…’

Looks like that might be on the change?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

winegums posted:

Hi goons, long time no see.

I've recently gotten more active in medical politics, particularly with our doctors union the British Medical Association. At our recent conference a key motion was passed:

So in the next 6-9 months there's going to be a vote amongst doctors below consultant grade, to undertake industrial action. Unlike the previous utterly gutless IA this would be up to and including full withdrawal of labour.

This is due to a lot of lovely factors in the job, but the real motivator here has been sub-inflation pay rises putting us about 22% below what we were paid in 2008. Hence the push for full pay restoration.

The BMA is going to have to act as a proper trade union for the first time in decades. There's been a real shift in mood amongst active members, from tolerating the pay and conditions and not wanting to appear greedy or ungrateful, to us looking at the second round of IA in 10 years (I think the last IA before that was in the 70s). We even passed a conference motion asking the BMA to "recognise and apologise for its failure to protect junior doctors’ pay over this period".

Year on year I've seen more and more doctors stop working in the NHS. Many of the more junior doctors are just loving off to Australia, which is just as racist as the UK but with better weather and far, far better pay and work conditions. This used to be something people would do for a bit of a 1-year sabbatical, but fewer people are returning. Those that are staying here are now working less than full time and picking up side hustles like cosmetic injection work. The outpatient care available in the NHS now is already dogshit and I genuinely don't think the NHS will provide it at all in 10 years' time. We'll provide a low quality inpatient service and all outpatient work will be private.

So I suppose I'm interested to know what you guys think. I want to get out of the echo chamber I'm in and enter another. I know the media will want to monster us because the media are sickos. Do you think the public would be on side with this? Do you think it even matters?

You will get monstered by the press, probably. But also maybe not. That 22% effective pay-cut will be compelling, especially at a time when the Gov is proclaiming how well we're recovering. Red-tops are obviously fickle but I could genuinely see a world where they don't go YOU ARE KILLING ARE GRANNIES but actually go PAY THE NURSES AND DOCTORS SO THEY DON'T KILL ARE GRANNIES THROUGH EXHAUSTION AND OVERWORK.

Basically: on the one hand you've got the fash hating leftist activism. But on the other hand you have the sacred cow of the Nash. Maybe it'll be like one of those gifs of a cat with a toast-and-jam slice strapped to its back that spins into a singularity. The Express will convolute itself into a fission reaction and power the UK for decades to come as they try and untangle GOVERNMENT GUD with NHS IS DYING SO MY MAM IS DYING.

Good work on getting the BMA to actually do some clinical observation and discover that a 'spine' is a thing. They've been loving gutless for way too long.

e: if it wasn't abundantly clear: go on strike. 100% support that. Parents are doctors, friends are doctors, and the burnout is insane. Go on strike tomorrow if you can. (I know you can't)

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 1, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
eat flags, peasants

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Hanging out with paedoson more likely.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

I honestly can't identify parody anymore.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I thought I had COVID but test said no. Wife had it, we continued to share a bed, I didn't get symptoms, and tests said no. I no longer often wear a mask (and, living in London, I am surrounded by people not wearing masks). I essentially live the life I lived in 2019. I've tested with every cold-like episode I've had, and tests have said no.

I can't work out if I've just had it On the Sly (but seemingly never given it to my wife, because the one time she had it was from a work night out and she was Right Proper Sick) or I'm one of the Weirdly Immune. It's really odd.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Miftan posted:

I know several people like this, including myself. Apparently it just happens sometimes that the tests don't pick it up for some reason.

There's a very good reason.

LFTs are crude. They're designed to pick up high viral loads. They're designed to be binary diagnostic tools used in the presence of non-specific but obvious symptoms: for doctors and nurses going 'we know they've got a respiratory illness, the LFT will tell us if it's this respiratory illness'.

If you want nuance, if you want to pick up the 'hidden' stuff, you need PCRs tests. They use an amplification mechanism to flag even small traces of bits of viral protein. Of course, if you amplify too much, you risk noise, so typically PCRs have amplification rates in the 30s. Covid PCRs had amplification rates in the 40s, but I'm sure that's fine. Sure!

Either way, if you want a public health strategy that keeps a good track of Covid in symptomatic and non-symptomatic populations, you want PCRs. Lots of them, at appropriate sensitivity. Save the LFTs for hospitals where you need the rapid turnaround of 'is it/isn't it'.

You'll note this is literally the opposite of what we did.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Miftan posted:

For what it's worth two of the people I know in that situation got PCR tests that also tested negative. Now it's possible they took them too soon (didn't pick up covid from their spouse yet who just tested positive) or too late (didn't want to leave the hosue while obviously sick with a spouse that has covid), but either way :shrug:

So did they have COVID or not?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Miftan posted:

The tests said no, but one of them had basically every symptom (but very mild) and the other didn't have symptoms at all. I suppose he could have been asymptomatic though. Feels unlikely that you wouldn't have covid while sharing a bed and being locked in a house with someone who has it though.

London Royal Free did a challenge survey where they paid 36 people several thousand pounds to willingly expose themselves to Covid in a controlled environment. Half of them never developed an infection or shed the virus.

It’s very possible to not get it.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just read the first 40 pages of the Starmer book. What a nasty piece of work he is.
I'm assuming it gets worse.

I've finished it. You're dead right it does!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

jaete posted:

What. Why on earth would he whip to abstain?

Obviously he'll support it

This. It’s codifying his previous behaviour in CPS into actual law. He’ll loving love it.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

hello yes this is dog

Great news that we might get a PM who can’t even hold a phone correctly.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

imagine a GE except everyone loses

Extremely morpheus voice: welcome to the desert… of the real

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
My favourite outcome of VONCGATE is watching the Guardian editorialists tie themselves in knots as they struggle to actually have a relevant point of view without actually saying the quiet bit out loud. The flip-flopping over the last 48 hours has been a joy to behold.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

What are they struggling with? He's an oik but enough of the tory party think he's useful to them that they won't get rid of him. Seems simple even from a liberal point of view you would hope.

The bit where the Common Decency Politics they think Keith will provide doesn’t actually work, but if they admitted that then they’d have to admit that their permanent fubpee centrism is a failure of both ambition and imagination and that their constant wailing that this is surely the thing that will topple Boris is masking the fact that they’re both unwilling and unable to argue for a better kind of politics than red Toryism.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Things the NHS needs to start functioning, in no particular order:

A unified funding model. It is absurd that there is no integrated way of funding treatment. Funding should be allocated retroactively (that is, the government should be charged by the NHS for treatment it conducts, regardless of whether it’s a referral). This should be separate from funding allocated proactively to cover wages, staff, buildings maintenance, and so forth. This should be reviewed periodically and surplus cash at the end of the year—if invested in non-essential QoL improvements for patients and staff—should not result in reduced funding.

The end of outsourced hospital staff. I’m not talking doctors, I’m talking cleaners, porters, cafeteria staff: all the people who vastly outnumber the ‘medical’ staff but who are essential to a self-improving, passionate community within hospitals and surgeries.

The repeal of Blair’s nonsensical ‘everyone should see a consultant’. It’s simply not practical or necessary. A well trained nurse is perfectly capable of providing medical advice and treatment in a great many non-urgent cases. We don’t have enough consultants, and Blair’s approach was simply to make it easier to be a consultant, with the resultant lack of diverse experience being held by people with that title.

Pay. More pay.

Established rules and processes for protecting whistleblowers. This is critical. If people can’t speak up not just about malpractice but about bullying, cultures of disrespect, and all of those other ‘community’ ills then it’s hosed. It’s a nohoper because it will allow arseholes to profit.

Hospitals should be managed by a triumvirate of someone with business acumen who understands how to spend money, a senior longstanding consultant who understands where to spend the money, and a union representative of the labour classes who stand to (theoretically) benefit to understand if the money is being spent well. Hospitals are not for-profit organisations, but that doesn’t mean the spending habits can’t be scrutinised.

Anyway none of this will ever happen so whatever

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Starmer can drink a pint. He can down a mug of whisky. He can eat a chicken tikka masala. He can drink another pint. He can stay calm drinking a pint while being kicked out of a pub. Those skills look simple, but they’re not, and they’re vital.' @gsoh31
on the breadth of Sir Keir Starmer's potential

He gets knocked down

He licks the boot again

Never stopping punching left

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I love this thread and even if it’s occasionally too cynical even for me, the last few DALL-E pages have been a great joy. Thank you.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"... and all my opinions, which are just off camera, you can't see them.'"

I do have opinions, they just go to another school!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I’m drinking with one of my oldest friends, a 70-something year old veteran of the radical left who was active in the ANC and the unions. It’s heartwarming. There is still hope.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Imagining a sitcom dad angrily insisting to his kids that he's relevant

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/14/stop-calling-me-boring-keir-starmer-tells-shadow-cabinet

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Since covid's over, grandad, we're doing Ukraine monkeypox rail strikes polio now, I idly thought I'd take a look at what's up.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Approaching 200k! I thought it was about 120k JFC

Guess we're "living with covid" (read: you're on your own) for real now. Apart from those who aren't living at all, of course.

:psyduck:

This is your daily reminder that 'covid on the death certificate' is not the same as 'was killed by covid'. I'm not trying to downplay things, but perspective is an important modifier.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Watching and rewatching the tail end of the Lynch clip where he talks about not wanting working people to beg. Is this flickering funny feeling… hope? Are we allowed that? Is it even legal anymore?

On another note: I’m a UX designer. Design (as a profession) has never managed to have a proper professional body. We’re adjacent to journalism in a way, but not that. Other labour movements in ‘the arts’ exist and we’re not really part of that, because it tends more to itinerant theatre workers and suchlike. As far as I’ve been able to tell, my industry, (scientific) publishing, doesn’t have any kind of union either so I can’t fall into that camp.

I’m well enough paid that I don’t need food banks. I think probably my pension, such as it is, is relatively secure-ish (it’s a private scheme with Scottish Widows that’s set up by my employer). I pay my taxes in the 40% bracket. Unlike many people, some of whom are in this thread, I am not struggling and for that I’m grateful, because I remember being a freelance designer who didn’t make enough to pay income tax. I’ve benefited from inflated salaries in UX Design. When the pandemic hit the market value of UX went through the roof. 30 to 40% band increases in two years. It’s obscene. I try and minimise the impact by resolutely sticking to enterprise UX because my philosophy is ‘low paid workers shouldn’t have to battle shite Oracle behemoths just to do the jobs they’re tasked with while simultaneously being assessed based on their ability to operate massively substandard IT stacks’.

My question to the UKMT is: if I want to attempt to redress that imbalance that Lynch so eloquently describes by joining a union and contributing to its success and it’s ability to support those under the grim boot of wage erosion, what can I do? If your profession doesn’t have one, what does one do?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Yeah, fair. My mention of journalism is mostly because I did the ‘what union for you?!’ thing online and because I work in publishing it recommends unions for those who work with the printed word, because - and this is a sore point - designers have consistently failed to sort out a union. Look up Mike Monteiro for more on that if you care.

So: journalism is out. Prospect seems a bit too tech aligned. IWW seems the closest option so far.

I know that some of my colleagues (more than I’d hoped, based on the ‘polish the guillotine’ comments when we talked about how spent the jubbly weekend) are pretty hard left. I need to screw up the courage to ask them if they’re unionised.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

OK, I have no loving idea what a UX designer actually does, but it sounds like Prospect may well be where you're looking. However there's always the general unions like GMB & Unite. And if you're worried that Prospect are a bit melty there is always either the IWGB or IWW,

(Enterprise) UX Design = ‘my job is to make sure the software tools they give you to do YOUR job actually loving allow you to do your job.’

I get real worked up about this. In short: your employer makes you use software systems. They don’t invest in those systems. They procure from multinational corporate conglomerates that epitomise the airline seat model: an average fit model that ruins everyone’s back equally.

They measure your performance through your ability to render you output through those systems. Those systems are not designed to help you, they are designed to exist and be sellable. My job is to fight that bullshit and make sure that the thing you need to do your job, the thing that records your output and then is used to quantify your value to your employer, actually allows you to demonstrate your value.

I get, as I said, real mad about this.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

And my god do I wish that my company had anybody who even thought about the usability of their software.

As far as I know they develop it in house too, it's mad, I think it's just because the people who make the software have never done the job of the people who use the software. But I did a little bit of design when I did my degree and loving I could do a better design job than those hacks.

The amount of software that gets made by people who seemingly give no thought to using it is mental. It's like if someone made a car and the list said 1. has wheels 2. has accelerator and brake 3. has steering wheel, and then they put the steering wheel in the boot and the pedals on the ceiling and then pointed at it and said "car"

And that’s how you get Tesla.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Ah, the Procrustean workstacean

This is a good post and I liked it. Nice.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

One of the fun facts about asda is that their stock control system still runs on a greentext terminal, and over the years has simply had extra GUIs bolted onto the front of it. Except for the things that haven't and you still have to load up the old ascii based display to do some queries.

Argos still employs COBOL devs. I met one of them. A tiny little man with a grin the size of Delaware and gently caress me no wonder. Talk about a single point of failure.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
E: I am drunk and can’t quote right.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

I daily have to use software that predates Win98 and crashes constantly, and this is for a massive pharma that made like half a trillion dollars in revenue over the last decade.

Would love to have a proper UX team rather than just constant bullshit meetings about Big Data and the pivot to digital healthcare

Your union demands should include ux designers

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
On the flip side she’s probably quite susceptible to advice to delete system32

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Nice!

I''m trying to find this video I saw once where a guy compared an old as hell 90s system that stores still used and used keyboard only input and compared it to a modern GUI version to show just how much modern ux designs suck from actual user friendlyness.

I had a summer job filing medical records and yeah, the DOS-y green screen with keyboard navigation was much better because you could just get the muscle memory of ‘tab tab enter, scan the files, tab tab tab enter done’. Mouse-driven GUIs are terrible for some things (and especially terrible for people who can’t use a mouse, but mostly they’re ignored…)

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Facebook has been targeting me tonight with Home Office videos telling me to join the police force, which is weird since I'm a 50 year old cripple with a criminal record. This tells me that they've paid to spread the net very far and wide.

This video invites you to be one of 20,000 new police officers from the perspective of a rookie who finds a major drugs operation. My interpretation is that the govt is recruiting gormless idiots to protect the establishment once everything starts going to poo poo... more so...

Has anyone else seen the same on their feeds?

The provinces are behind the curve. I’ve noticed Met-centric polis adverts for about 9 months here in London. It looked at the time very much like a post-Everard attempt at image rehabilitation. Grim AF. Now it just looks like pigs recruiting for the knacker.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Kieth posted:

Labour has now claimed the centre ground – and has shown it can win

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/26/labour-has-now-claimed-the-centre-ground-and-has-shown-it-can-win

He makes it to sentence 6 (7 if you count the byline...) before he references the Corbyn era.Not by name, but the implication is clear.

What a waste of air.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

fuctifino posted:

This is real and in The Times.

That seems weird, because that’s not what I see:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Rustybear posted:

i mean i'll take anything at this point but burnham lost the leadership badly once and I've not seen anything from him that suggests he's changed that much.

he lost in 2015 becasue he was a rudderless suit who couldn't articulate a vision that distinguished him from two of the other candidates, the only thing that defined him at all was that he was not corbyn and even that was entirely corbyn separating himself rather than any positive statement on his part

maybe he's learnt a lesson but the second he comes off home turf i think he'll come unstuck. his big piece in the guardian (today?) basically sets out PR as his campaigning issue which really?? it's extremely popular with a small section who are unfortunately not a viable coalition and a settled question for everyone else.

if he wins it it'll be becasue no one else really wants it, which may very well be the case

Burnham benefitted from a similar thing to Mick Lynch: he had an opportunity to simply articulate a genuine grievance. He had the incredible PR good fortune to get terrible news about lockdowns live on television and react to it by just basically saying, “No. This is punitive.”

Take that away and he’s just a Blairite with Harry Palmer specs. Blairites without a Westminster accent are still Blairites.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tories-prepare-for-snap-election-if-starmer-resigns-0zr65x2cg

Tories prepare for snap election if Keir Starmer resigns

quote:

…The [conservative party] source said: “Labour […] have spent three months tearing chunks out of themselves, and each [Labour] candidate would inevitably have to lurch to the left to win the vote. It’s the best chance we’d have of securing another majority under Boris.”

Even the Tories can see how Labour have made themselves unelectable.

Whwhwhaaard wuuurrrhking faammilees Jorrimable Horrible Corininoble

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

feedmegin posted:

What, like the 2015 one did? That was supposed to put the issue to bed for a generation.

I was going to make a bad joke about teen pregnancy rates in Scotland leading to new generations coming round quickly but it turns out they’re at an historic low, which is unironically awesome. Still high in deprived areas but falling across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/30/record-number-of-uk-police-forces-are-failing-and-need-intensive-help

Piggery full of pigs, news at eleven. Turns out that cops even suck at being cops.