Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Hi goons, long time no see.

I've recently gotten more active in medical politics, particularly with our doctors union the British Medical Association. At our recent conference a key motion was passed:

quote:

vii. immediately commence a campaign to prepare, educate and organise rank and file junior doctors with a view to balloting by Q1 2023 at the latest for industrial action including withdrawal of labour, on the demand for immediate and full restoration of pay to 2008 RPI-adjusted equivalence, in the event that such a commitment from government has not been formalised by the end of 2022

So in the next 6-9 months there's going to be a vote amongst doctors below consultant grade, to undertake industrial action. Unlike the previous utterly gutless IA this would be up to and including full withdrawal of labour.

This is due to a lot of lovely factors in the job, but the real motivator here has been sub-inflation pay rises putting us about 22% below what we were paid in 2008. Hence the push for full pay restoration.

The BMA is going to have to act as a proper trade union for the first time in decades. There's been a real shift in mood amongst active members, from tolerating the pay and conditions and not wanting to appear greedy or ungrateful, to us looking at the second round of IA in 10 years (I think the last IA before that was in the 70s). We even passed a conference motion asking the BMA to "recognise and apologise for its failure to protect junior doctors’ pay over this period".

Year on year I've seen more and more doctors stop working in the NHS. Many of the more junior doctors are just loving off to Australia, which is just as racist as the UK but with better weather and far, far better pay and work conditions. This used to be something people would do for a bit of a 1-year sabbatical, but fewer people are returning. Those that are staying here are now working less than full time and picking up side hustles like cosmetic injection work. The outpatient care available in the NHS now is already dogshit and I genuinely don't think the NHS will provide it at all in 10 years' time. We'll provide a low quality inpatient service and all outpatient work will be private.

So I suppose I'm interested to know what you guys think. I want to get out of the echo chamber I'm in and enter another. I know the media will want to monster us because the media are sickos. Do you think the public would be on side with this? Do you think it even matters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Push comes to shove they can always just get Andrew Neil to ask him "do you still beat your wife" over and over until the credits roll, and then claim victory.

Or, just not interview him and allow discourse to happen about him, without him.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Boris learnt the art of just saying "no, lmao".

If starmers labour wasn't such a dumpster fire of losers they would be battering down the tories' door by now. The "convention" is it's labours turn on the money printer now but they're so loving incompetent that the press can't even hand them the reigns of power.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Hard not to feel utterly despondent at everything that's going on.

Energy companies just hiking prices with no end in sight.
Inflation careening through the roof.
Government refusing to do anything
Opposition parties also refusing to do anything.
Everyone is striking everywhere (which is fine, but the causes of strikes are very bad).

Feels like electoral politics has utterly failed to deal with any of the issues facing us. Everything Corbyn tried to put in policies against has come together in an awful shitshow. And nobody wants to learn these lessons, if anything they're memory-holing everything he did and everything they did to discredit him.

I don't know what's worse, the anticipated misery of this winter, or the inevitable indifference of everyone important.