Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if you were doing that to a rental property that's hosed up (as is letting it) but if it's your house then arguably you are taking business away from other airbnb people, which is funny.

Certainly gently caress that from a "let's have weirdos stay over where I live" aspect though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone at work just wished the queen happy birthday.

I thought it was how long she'd been queen for, not her birthday?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao @ celebrating the wrong thing but very patriotically

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody monarchs these days changing the day they were born on, its political correctness gone mad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't wait for 2030 when the captain tom foundation has produced a fleet of life size captain tom animated simulacra to patrol during the mandatory clap for boris hour every evening and make sure you are doing it patriotically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A shame really that when I am dead there will be nobody to transform my image into a hellish necromantic facsimile in order to rake in the dough from pensioners.

Really makes me think of this good short story

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

7/10 guest mostly fine but sleeps on their stomach, I only accept side sleepers in this christian household thank you very much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

what about if they sleep on their back

Albigensian heresy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I occasionally sleep like dracula, if I can pull it off it's actually the best way to sleep.

Also once woke up sitting straight up in bed so there is a nonzero possibility that I might be able to levitate up out of bed like dracula also.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"clean gas" just makes me thing they're going to flood everything with chlorine to solve the cost of living crisis.

Very clean, antibacterial.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness you could accurately contextualize that as being the greatest effort to improve the response he could have made.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have no idea how the strike would be perceived and am certainly of the view that the press is likely to try (and possibly succeed) in painting you all as KILLING ARE GRANNIES WITH DELINQUENCY or whatever, but I don't see how people can be expected to do the job people do on the NHS without being at least loving paid for it.

If people are gonna strike they're doing it for a reason. People don't just do it for fun contrary to what often gets said. So generally I'm gonna say any strike is right and good because it's a product of an environment, it's something people do because they feel they have to. You can't stop it so you might as well big up the people who are doing it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oh my god/marxist leninist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like I'm quite fortunate in that I never had friends growing up and so never developed the need for them as an adult, really.

I have a couple of people I trust but see infrequently, and largely am very isolated and I think the last time I did a voluntary social event was probably about fifteen years ago. I dunno, I found that I just never really like doing things with other people because I have to concentrate on them rather than the thing I am doing, much prefer doing things by myself as I can do them at my own pace and concentrate on it better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao @ taking over collapsing industry that produces nothing of value.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

I definitely relate to that but it can be dealt with (though I doubt you want to). Just realising that you don't have to read other people's emotions and reactions constantly and just do The Thing but Next To Each Other is a skill but it can be practiced.

It probably stems from adult figures in your childhood

Oh sure, it's just that that's still just less fun than doing The Thing but By Myself. If I want to do The Thing I would rather do it without any distractions.

It's just nice to be on your own, I find. Don't have to worry about anyone else, or be conscious of time or anything, just go and wander around in isolation with a packed lunch and no obligations for the day. Very nice to just exist by yourself in a pleasant environment like the woods or somewhere.

People are their own Thing that you do, basically. Trying to do other Things with People is like trying to eat ice cream and dinner at the same time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plus if you go with cernunnos you can still have the silly hats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

do you have a link?

Also just in case Ms A is reading, I have decided that you are some sort of fey trickster goddess who has put some sort of horrible ironic curse on me because as of today the NHS is advising me to sound for medical reasons and has provided me with a giant pack of foot long things to do it with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

can't believe the NHS will provide training and equipment for you to shove rods up your piss hole like a pervert ON THIS DAY OF THE QUEEN's BIRTHDAY JUBBLY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She did used to have that rad avatar with the lady with the horns on

E: the antlers, I mean, not the bowsette av

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is he at the jubilee or is he relegated to some kind of shame cupboard for the weekend?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, that kate bush song is a banger so fair play but why specifically is it number 1??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

Featured prominently in the new series of Stranger Things, I believe

Ah, well good choice, hopefully a new generation of people will get introduced to it.

Also the placebo cover is quite good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5GuBa4Bbnw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I wish I could run up a hill to never hear Kate Bush ever again.

What if I threw katy perry in as a 2 for 1 deal??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSae82WZCA8

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really love the UK because you so often get an article about something and then you see the name of the person writing it and you just go "oh yeah that makes sense" even if you don't recognize the name, the shape of the name just communicates it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

God of drought and pizza, which the romano british definitely had cos of italians.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She will fit right in with the rest of the honours club.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's still quite surprising to me that terry pratchett accepted his given his apparent views on monarchy and the peerage in the books.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She is absolutely right though, everyone who transitions and ends up happy, better off for it, renders their "sane world" an ever more obvious farce. Their whole worldview is completely dependent on hegemony, not allowing any other way of being, not allowing people the words and framework to even conceptualize an alternative.

The way they think of themselves as being in the right is utterly infuriating but they are correctly perceiving the state of reality in that the more people have space to be themselves and be happy and find other people who are accepting of them, the less hope there is for the terf brigade. I just hope I live to see the day when they are shattered and their dreams lie in ash and ruin around them. Because gently caress me they deserve it a thousandfold.

It's a clear admission that their ideology simply cannot handle reality, that they need reality to be different in order to continue to think that way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Intense concentration required at all times to maintain the mystical legal authority of the UK government.

It's called powering the astrononcicon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Feeling pleased with myself because I got my grandmother's singer 28k running again.

No idea what I'm going to actually do with it but it stitches straight and feels very pleasing to operate. Just have no idea how to actually sew.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the point is that it is supposed to sound scandalous and hip, when it mostly appears to be 50-70 year old tories reciting the most unimaginative talking points in existence.

More hip replacement than hip.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like one of the final destination films I think where even if it went at normal speed it would still take quite a long time because they keep finding new, more absurd and convoluted ways to crash cars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lady Gaza posted:

This is the truck/gun, seems a bit excessive

Looks like an old M5 or M9, american lend lease production from the second world war.

If it's any consolation they also made those with four of those guns on an anti aircraft mount on the back so I guess it could be worse.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 4, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dogatron posted:

God's Englishman did not sound like he was recovering from a serious head injury.

Would be inconsistent with most of the other englishmen if he didn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean he is right in that that doesn't historically work out very well for anybody. Nobody is willing to actually invade Russia over it (and that would be stupid and just get countless more people killed) so necessarily it's either got to end in a negotiated ceasefire or Ukraine losing. And they aren't going to agree to a ceasefire unless it gives them a "way out" as he says.

Macron might generally be an idiot but I don't think he's incorrect about that specifically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think isolation historically correlates fairly well with idiotic revanchist nationalism, either national isolation or alienation due to capitalism. And the idea of inflicting national humiliation on people is usually dependent on crushing military victory over them which again, nobody has the ability or will to do with Russia.

So while it might be very romantic to imagine that everyone can come together and teach the perfidious ruskies a lesson what ho, realistically that is 1. impossible and 2. probably not likely to make russia good and submissive, rather make people even more xenophobic and supremacist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

You're arguing that to avoid further war, Putin has to be given an "out" so he can avoid embarrassment. But the problem with that is it isn't up to us to say what's a good enough out to avoid embarrassment, and the minimum viable "out" for Putin might well be far beyond the pale of what's acceptable for anybody else.

If we're forced to give an "out" because of the threat of nuclear war then Putin is incentivised to demand whatever insane poo poo he feels like, using the threat of nuclear war. The whole idea of being forced to provide an embarrassment–free exit from the war they started is a pointless tactical weakness.

You aren't "forced" to give an out, the assertion is that that they are more likely to agree to an end to the war if the terms are not "give us everything we want and suck poo poo" because if that's the case they are likely to keep fighting. And again, unless you have the means and will to invade russia, there is comparatively little you can do to stop them from continuing to fight.

It is entirely possible that the fighting will continue until either civil unrest in Russia reaches a critical mass, which I think is unlikely given we already know that you can keep fighting forever wars indefinitely as long as they are far enough away, or until Ukraine can't endure the war that is actually happening in its cities and killing its civilians any longer and agrees to some sort of ceasefire that concedes territory to russia because the alternative is either eventual military or civil collapse, regardless of how many weapons are being supplied by the west.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 5, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Payndz posted:

Russia has had an 'out' from day 1: Get The gently caress Out Of Ukraine. They're the unprovoked aggressor - if they feel humiliated by not being allowed to win, tough poo poo.

If that is to happen, however, it is likely to have to come with minimal punitive measures afterwards. Which I do not think is what Ukraine would prefer to happen and also I think, not what a lot of other countries would like to happen either.

Because otherwise I doubt they would agree to it. A "white peace" kind of deal where nothing substantially changes, I think is the most likely outcome that doesn't involve Ukraine losing more territory, simply because nobody has the means to enforce anything else on Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the nazis had the sonnenrad before the 70's did.