Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My partner has abandoned her plan to drag me to the jubilee street party. Going to stay in on my own playing video games on my own.. Thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Clearly he's going to be fine based on this alone.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cold War Steve is getting better by the day.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

feels weird to be on the same page as the average British voter:

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1534829739474567169?s=20&t=lPoiSw-SM0YV79AcGKe7Kw

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ash Crimson posted:

How's archie's brainstem

I've worked a little on this case and it's v weird that you seem so flippant on it but hey, read the judgment and get back to us

https://www.judiciary.uk/judgments/barts-health-nhs-trust-v-dance-battersbee/

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Heathrow is completely hosed and now I am stranded in the Arctic.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Good time of year to be stranded in the Arctic at least

Seems like it's totally out of my hands and they've given me a hotel room so am going to stare at snow for a bit and then eye the minibar.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Went for a wander, here's some nice pics.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

You can see my old house from up there! But why would you visit Tromsø in the summer? There's barely any skiing and no northern lights at all.

e: I do recommend a late night trip to Sommarøy if you have time, though. It's cool to sit on the edge of the island and see the sun fail to set over the ocean. And you can climb nearby Ørnfløya beforehand, which has great views and often you can see the sea eagles.

Was here for the Midnight Sun marathon. Back in January for the Polar Night sister one. I'm on my way back now, but Tromsø was great. Nice place to be stuck.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rail Unions cripple UK :getin:
Scargill joins picket line :clint:
Teachers threaten to strike too :hai:

It's CLASS WAR :circlefap: :guillotine: :circlefap:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hobo posted:

This is astoundingly stupid even by current Labour standards - what’s the point of a Labour government that doesn’t even support a labour strike that is supported by the majority of the public?

No look you don't get it, the right thing press will be nice to them now.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/

Oh jeez

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I had a similar situation happen to a friend - when the fraudsters called they already had a tonne of personal information like account number and sort code, address, date of birth etc (I'm guessing via some kind of online data leak). They read all that back to 'prove their identity', then rinsed his accounts dry with a series of transfers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I guess you could mandate that all transfers over a certain amount between two accounts with no preexisting connection are reviewed by an actual person, but I guess that would cost the banks money and probably annoy customers to boot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I think there are a lot of people who are defined by who they will performatively not vote for.

Hah, yeah those Guardian comments are notorious for that. Good thing we're not like that ha ha

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

As a former night club worker men generally only piss, poo poo and - sometimes - puke (and usually right into the bowl!). Women piss and poo poo everywhere, plus blood, plus every literally night there'd be a stall that looked like a vomit grenade had exploded inside it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SixFigureSandwich posted:

When the thread was discussing the Tolkien quote about not being too quick to wish death on somebody, I was trying to think of a counterexample and this is it. Before moving to the UK I had never seen a carpeted bathroom and I still cannot conceive why any sane person would want one.

In the 90s my family moved into a house last renovated in the 70s and the bathroom had bright blue shag carpeting. Deranged.

e: basically this

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 5, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1544435322548883456?s=20&t=ZpHG7nimMF8zAOYudfKFng

lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lol that the entire system for removing a PM is getting together at their house and asking really nicely if they'd quit. Boris says "...nah" and they're out of ideas.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really hope Boris gets to have at least one meeting of the Cabinet of the Damned.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

An actual good and fascinating story from the Guardian about the personal fallout there's been from the crypto crash:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...he-crypto-crash

So many amateurs who saw Bitcoin spiraling ever higher and genuinely believed that this was their one chance to gain financial security, it's really sad.

Not that I want to turn this into a butts thread, but was the guy in that story who had $525,000 and lost it all ever able to realistically turn that into regular currency or was it just an imaginary number on an app?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fuctifino posted:

Just over a week ago, I noticed a promotional email from my cannabis clinic, and at the end it mentioned a competition where they were asking patients to upload videos of their experiences with the clinic to help break the stigma of cannabis use. My public vaping stunts, including the recently adopted open vaping in the pub beer garden, have been all about breaking the stigma, so it seemed right up my alley. I quickly pieced together a rambling video and managed to submit it before the deadline. It didn't really fit the competition brief, but brushed upon it.

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1542465352461914113

The result? I won the loving competition, and at around midday today, I'm going to be the proud receiver of a £400 Volcano Medic 2:

:420: is awesome as a coping mechanism for [wildly gesticulates at everything], and it looks like I'm going to have the perfect too to consume it

:smug:

Congrats - and I really like the Black and Decker aesthetic.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

He probably could have converted a decent chunk of it, depending on taxes etc! From the article, he'd become so immersed in the collective crypto delusion of Youtube videos, subreddits and Discord channels that he truly believed that prices could only ever keep spiraling upwards and there was no need to cash out. Poor bastard gave his interview from a residential therapy centre, where he was trying to recover from the crushing depression caused by seeing all of his dreams crumble to dust.

Man, I don't know how I'd live with myself if I'd lost that much money purely down to my own stupidity. Just feels like every single moment from then on would be tinged with regret.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Looke posted:

Cool, I'm sure that'll be comforting to the poor and destitute, will remember that

What exactly do you imagine Starmer will do for the poor and destitute?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Looke posted:

so we should just accept further Tory governments then?

Until we dismantle the press and media ecosystem we kind of have to.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Didn't it turn out he had some kind of financial interest in ID cards happening?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Popped out of work to get some lunch and the Strand was basically emptied of both pedestrians and cars, looked like things did at the height of lockdown.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So the Forde report essentially says precisely the same thing as what got Corbyn kicked out of the party.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

learnincurve posted:

There is one house on this street not council and it’s next to mine, and her mother in law is an obnoxious loud cow who has the capacity to play peek-a-boo at extreme volumes for hours and hours at a baby who lost interest 30 seconds in. We’ve all heard my neighbour ask her to keep it down to “what they going to do report me to the council I’ll report them cackle cackle screech peek-a-boo YAAAAAY who’s a good girl”

She’s sunbathing right now and I hope she gets drenched

Getting mad at a granny playing with a baby sounds a bit weird tbh

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lmao

https://twitter.com/omid9/status/1549731880521588741?s=20&t=50tZPDAW8elFvNSx_tzJDw

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Wasn't there a BBC series based on a book about a woman reincarnating during the Blitz or something, I remember seeing the ads?

Time travelling bigamy sitcom Goodnight Sweetheart said all there was to say on the subject imo

edit: this rules

quote:

"Gary later becomes trapped in the past when the portal closes after he saves Clement Attlee from an assassination attempt by poisoning. He later deduces that it was his destiny to travel back in time with the purpose of saving Attlee's life and the portal closed because he had fulfilled this purpose."

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 21, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder where they're gonna get all these 'agency workers' from.

Anyone with the training and skills would already be doing the job.
Foreign workers are difficult to hire even if you want to and it's politically inconvenient to start poaching professionals from abroad unless they're planning to use Ukrainians.

Isn't unemployment very low at the moment too? Are there legions of agency staff waiting to leap into action as train drivers?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

I can't imagine Kate being assertive enough to demand stuff of anyone tbh.

you can't imagine a member of the royal family demanding things?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

Jeremy has been using his extensive crowdfunded legal fund to basically threaten legal action against any prominent figure who calls him antisemitic. In fact, you notice that most blue ticks generally go quite far to avoid saying that, when they’re not having a full public breakdown on Twitter anyway. A month or two ago Victoria Coren made a joke on R4 that was along the lines of “Jeremy Corbyn *bleep to imply censorship* Jews,” the point of which was obviously to express the frustration of the media classes being unable to publicly state the fact that they all know is definitely, 100% true but is annoyingly illegal to say just because there happens to be absolutely zero evidence supporting it.

I kinda worry that there's a defence to being sued by Corbyn for libel in that it's difficult for him to prove his reputation has been seriously harmed by an individual tweet or comment about antisemitism.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Answers Me posted:

One of these situations where I refuse to believe such a thing existed until today, despite everyone treating it like prestigious and longstanding tradition.

The Boris Johnson Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Surely even Tory party members can see that Rishi is badly faking this culture wars poo poo. It's so pathetic.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

Post-me-own-tweets Dibbler:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1554180953261674497?s=20&t=LjsY6qWuyAsrnq--TeLJrA

(Cause it's easier than separately uploading the image again).

I got an invite to that. It's a GB News show I think

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking of sweeteners, Xylitol is a good tasty sweetener that has few negative health effects.....
Unless you are a dog. In which case it is super loving toxic.

I used to sell packets of Smints in high school and got dragged into the headmaster's office because they thought Xylitol was an addictive drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Archie Battersbee TikTok blackout challenge thing is completely bogus. After the accident the mother was told by a friend that these challenges exist and I guess it's easier to believe your son died in a tragic mistake that can be blamed on the internet rather than a suicide.

You'll notice most media outlets couch it by saying "Archie's mother believes" as nobody really wants to fact check a grieving mother.