Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Ash Crimson posted:

Delusional comment, go in peace

Go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Just on my way home from three days of Prospect Trade Union Conference. Amazing experience. Should probably have drunk less and slept more but what can you do?

You did exactly tge right thing.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

The thunder and lightening is above me, and the summer rain is delicious

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Dabir posted:

I've been hearing Strange New Worlds is pretty good

It's extraordinarily excellent.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It is amazingly good. It is the best Trek, some fans are even calling it better than DS9

Let's not go mad here.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Sanford posted:

I’ve just talked someone down off a railway bridge literally seconds before the train went under us - can anyone advise if I should do something? The guy was absolutely distraught, sobbing when I got him down and by the time I’d walked him home he was just… fine. We walked and talked and I gave him lots of sensible old man advice about not letting your brain trick you into thinking bad things. I really feel like I should be doing something else but I don’t know what. Family advice is “call 101” which seems at best pointless. Is there anything I can or should do? I told him to call the doctors on Monday and if he’s feeling bad knock on my door and we’ll take the dog a walk. It’s shook me up real bad.

Might need your phone number in the coming days, buddy. You're a credit to humanity.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Mi6 just advertised in my timeliness. I'd only abuse any power.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 4, 2022

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I love seeing dominoes fall

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Does no-one proof read rges3 statements?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Please resign please resign

gently caress she’s never going to resign is she

Who? Pick yer pertater, you won't be wrong.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/OOCThickOfIt/status/1545535340739444736?t=LLd6v4yYDg86cSnte8UAag&s=19

Under jam man, please!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Oh come on, where the half bricks and molotovs?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

It would have been great if Corbyn had joined the Tories just to run in the leadership, then if he won, immediately disbanded them.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Woo! Got my cost of not dying payment!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Jippa posted:

It's coming to that time of year when I look at AC units and realise how expensive they are and don't buy one. Did someone post a cheap one here a few days ago or did I imagine it?

Imagine tye running costs.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ah, our old pal 😃

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I can't shave my head as I would look like a rejected Star Trek Voyager alien, owing to years of hitting my head on poo poo.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Apraxin posted:

point: the severe effects of climate change are no longer hypothetical, they are already here, faster and more extreme than even the worst case predictions of 10 years ago. unless we adopt the strongest measures possible, the future of society, of humanity itself is at stake

counterpoint: snowflakes, nobody wants to do an honest day's work, woke, simple as
https://twitter.com/JeremyVineOn5/status/1548963741009575936
Looks like he's talking bollocks from home.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Granted I basically don't have friends and never have so I may not be the best person to advise, but I would say that part of the reason I'm like that is because if I had to hide things I thought were very important in order to get along with people, they aren't really worth making the effort for. Either they actually like me, in my entirety, or there was never really a connection there.

You can only lose them once, but you can lose a bit of yourself every time you compromise.

We're your friends..l

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I was evicted last week, and, god love them the council put a roof over my head (temporarily). Shame it's a halfway house in Clacton. I hope I never see or hear a seagull ever again, they rule this town.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

One of them bit the ice cream out of my mouth this year so I started yelling obscenities at them in the middle of whitby, before remembering there were lots of children about.

Vile bastards they are, tories of the air.

God, flying Tories *shiver*

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

You don't need to go to Hell when you can go to Cornwall

(my unfairly rejected bid for the tourism board)

I've been knocked back for " Clacton: When Benidorm is too snobby"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

Personally I intend to never die, and hope one day to be a formless entity floating endlessly through the cosmos.

That's good; then you won't requie housing, sustenance, heating, money, or medical assistance. The ultimate Tory.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Re-reading Ragged Trousered Philantropist for the umpteenth time, and it's striking how similar it is to now. The more things change...

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Well, here we go again, the deserving vs the undeserving poor. How long before Hank Hill is delivering bottles of propane to surgeries?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

crispix posted:

i worked in IT in the health service for some years and i can tell you from experience that doctors tend to be very bad on computers, op

My doctor uses wiki for diagnosis :\

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Apraxin posted:

'deserving poor vs undeserving poor' is too much of a limp-wristed liberal position for Rees-Mogg imo, he just defaults to 'all poor are undeserving'
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1561381209611067395?cxt=HHwWhoCz3YD8kasrAAAA

Like he has EVER done a full day's work, be it digging ditches, retail, call centre, what have you. The first principle of management is never require people to do what you would not.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

kyojin posted:

I didn't have the heating on at all last winter to save money - I live alone so gently caress it, no-one to judge me. Here are my learnings:

*the cheapest blankets I could find are furniture/removal blankets which are about £2/3 each if you get ten+. Not very elegant but put a few in a duvet cover and pretend you are very normal. They didn't disintegrate too badly, I'll be using them again this year.

*as mentioned above thermal body layers are really effective, merino is best if you can afford it. I figured things are only going to get worse so an investment worth making imo

*uniqlo fleece joggers are decent value, I was up to three pairs at once over the merino and that kept me warm enough. Same for top layers, they have a hoody that is fleece inside but just plain black fabric outside so suitable for video meetings if you are wfh and don't want to look like a lunatic (less likely to be an issue this year because I think plenty of people will be layering up). That over a few jumpers and tshirts was pretty effective. All polyester so no good for any activity more strenuous than sitting. Get things a size up maybe, either way getting dressed becomes a ten minute farce like preparing for a space walk or something but overall that kept me warm enough to not be uncomfortable.

*fingers and toes are definitely the challenge. I wore three pairs of socks, interlaced with the many trousers, including thick wool hiking socks I already had but weren't too expensive, and then m&s fleece lined slippers. I have a pair with firm soles for during the day, and change for a pair of fleece slipper boots in the evening - as much as anything this was for separating work/not work time, sounds dumb but it was effective and above all kept my toes warm. Hands were more difficult, I tried fingerless gloves but I didn't really get on with them, bought some wrist warmers which were ok but mostly I just got used to having cold fingies during the day

*get out at lunchtime and go for a walk or do some exercise, something to get the blood moving and it's always warmer indoors when you get back

*hot drinks obviously and try to eat well, it really makes a big difference. I'd have a good meal in the evening and then lie on the sofa under the removal blankets and wonder what I was really doing with my life, but warmly at least

*have a bath since it's cheaper to heat some water and be in it I reckon. Depends on your tolerance but I'd spend an afternoon in the bath with a book at the weekend, topping it up occasionally (if you have an on demand boiler then run the tap in the sink to get the water hot before topping up). Contemplated trying to put a lid over the bath to retain the heat longer but didn't find a solution also that definitely seems like a step too far tbh, bath coffin. Bathroom door closed at least.

*hot water bottle/those bean bag microwave things, use them to get the bed warm before you get in so it's not a frozen wasteland for the first twenty minutes

*anger and hatred are surprisingly effective at raising one's temperature, all the clothes just help to capture it

It's all common sense I appreciate, but wearing 4+ layers was effective to keep me warm all winter, and you are basically heating the smallest possible space via food. It wasn't great but it wasn't utterly miserable and the gas bill was obviously very low, about £15/20 a month with half of that being the standing charge. Probably I spent as much on clothes etc as I would have running the heating at 15° or whatever, but obviously this year I'm already set up and braced for whatever loving nightmare is coming

If you'll excuse the pertinence, are you really skinny?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

If you can afford a couple pairs of merino tights/leggings/long johns (the type for hiking) they are really good. When I lived in the Arctic I had some that I'd wear every day in the winter under my normal trousers when I was out, and they made a huge difference. Hands are tricky as kyojin said, as a poor student I'd wear fingerless gloves indoors but I don't really like them either. Jumpers with thumb loops help a bit, or a buff or something around your wrist (not too tight). Or learn to type with gloves on.

Over the years, I've now reached the conclusion you're on the run from the law. Where are they buried BSM? You can tell us.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

On sky news the bellend armed forces minister said " That's for the new chancellor, and the new home Secretary to decide". Patel getting binned?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Wow. That Corcaron cow is really, really racist. Good tory decision? Broken clocks, twice a day.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I recognised the name but she's been on an absolute Farage-lite bender of making GBS threads on anyone she considers beneath her and smugly mugging about it on twitter, it's absolutely loving hilarious to see the shock and victimhood at having it turned back on her.

If someone could sort me a baseball bat studded with nails, I think I could talksome sense into her. Trouble is, I might have other people on my list, too.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Rent some flats above the shops
Style your hair, don't get a job
Smoke cigars and shoot pheasant
Evict the proles late on rent
But still you'll never get it right
Cos when you're eating out at night
Having a Gazpacho by the bowl
You'll call the waiter and say "This soup's cold" yeah

I think I may steal this, with your kind permission.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 24, 2022

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hehehe just ordered tickets for my parents Christmas box to see Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott at the O2. My old man will be fit to be tied when he realises Billy Bragg is the support act.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Hello, my name is Mr Snrub. I come from faaar away. Tell me about this 'Labour' political party you speak of.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Also, if you hare your progenitors as much as me, when I was staying with them I used to play simlish songs whilst I was doing whatever. it's key to select songs they will know, like hot n cold by Katy Perry, and when you're asked what language that is, innocently carry on and say its Katy Perry. Just enough English words to make a 72 yo woman worry she's having a stroke.

Of course, I'm now stranded in Clacton, where fat women go to shout at their children, and belt them. Dont think I won.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

They've got tuppence happening left and they are spending it on this?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I'm morbidly curious to see how else the Tories can gently caress this country up.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

HopperUK posted:

There isn't even a door on the bathroom though! Just a gap!

Honestly though would still live there. If not for the murder stairs. I hate stairs you can see through.

Shame you're not closer, you could help me finish Castle Grayskull, and possibly inspire me to go into penury by buying Snake mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

HopperUK posted:

My favourite of those sets back in the day was - I think the baddy from She-Ra or someone. There was a set that was like green, like a cave or dungeon, and it came with a monster handpuppet that you put through a hole in the set to bite figures with. That ruled.

The fright zone, and I'm sure it's coming. Sadly, we are already living in it.