Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

And with that, we wave goodbye to 2022's camping season, as well as Page 2. Stick around on Page 3 for winter camping in early 2023, as well as the rest of the year. We currently have 8 planned as of now (November 2022), so be sure to check back periodically to hear about which places you should go and drink a beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

On our way in, on Friday, we passed what seemed to be a kind of fever dream: there was a Tiki Bar in West Branch. A Tiki Bar. In West Branch. Big lit up palm trees and neon lights, blazing warm friendly colors on the side of the road. We made a solemn vow that we would go back there for dinner on Saturday. After a 6 mile hike through what was labeled "Most Difficult" trails, we hopped our rear end in the car and drove off to visit the beach paradise known as Coco Cabanas, nestled between farm fields, far from a beach or any water of any kind whatsoever.
Hot drat, this place rocked. I'm a sucker for tiki drinks, and they had everything from Shark Attacks to Hurricanes. They were cheap as hell too, with only the 40 oz Fishbowl priced above $10. We got dinner there, which, like the drinks, was good, cheap and surprisingly adventurous. We got a chicken bacon ranch pizza, but they've got all kindsa poo poo on their menu that you wouldn't expect to see at a... well, a Tiki Bar in West Branch. If you're driving through, you might as well stop, cause there's nothing else around for quite a few miles anyway.

FUN!!

Okay I am absolutely going here.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

to be fair it is outside west branch proper and kind of in the middle of nowhere on 33. not too far from west branch there is also an older tiki bar by Houghton lake called Frog Tiki bar as well.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, good point. Don’t go to West Branch proper looking for the place, just cruise 33.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Have you sat there, reading this thread, eyeing that big ol map in the OP and wondering, "How many state parks can you camp at? He clearly says you can't camp at all 101." ?

I have, and I cursed the idiot that wrote the OP for not doing enough research. Thankfully, I'm here to help. I sat down with Excel and shat out some numbers. There are currently[1] 101 State Parks and Recreation Areas total, not counting Trail Parks or Scenic Sites.

Of those:
  • 79 allow camping
  • 22 do not allow camping
  • 16 allow winter camping
  • Only 3 do not have a lake/river/waterbody within or on its border
  • 2 are Cabin Only, meaning you can't bring an RV or tent
  • 1 requires campers to charter a goddamn boat to get there, and you can't paddle out to it

Here's a handy spreadsheet with all the info you've ever wanted to know, including if the park has paddle-in camp sites

Pretty neat, huh?

[1] - The last park was added as recently as 2016, so as we cover more ground, there is a chance the total number of Parks/SRAs (and all constituent numbers) could change.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

[*]1 requires campers to charter a goddamn boat to get there, and you can't paddle out to it[/list]

Lime Island? I've been debating trying to check that one off the list, it's not that far from my aunt's cottage

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It sounds cool as all hell. The camping area is just one small area of the island, and the rest is all just open to explore. 5 sites total! That means, at most, there’s only 20 people on a 980 acre island that’s completely undeveloped.

e: just read the actual website and it turns out there’s 8 person cabins, so the total number of folks on the island could certainly be higher than 20. Either way, it’s just you and the black bears.

ee: also “completely undeveloped” apparently means “there’s a couple of buildings, but no electricity outside of solar.” I still think this is one of the coolest parks in the whole list, and I’m really looking forward to going there.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 3, 2022

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's absolutely one of those parks that I want to figure out how I can make it work. It's not gonna be easy, but it's gonna be amazingly fun once we do it. I think I know the group I'd like to do that with, gonna poke at them this winter to see what they think of the idea

Another one I'm REAL interested in doing and have been since I was a wee lad is POWER ISLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which has always sounded so cool, but the island itself sounds rad as hell too

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In January of 2023, we went to North Higgins Lake State Park

If you thought we'd stop camping just because it's winter, buddy, you don't know a Yooper. We made reservations for this some months ago, assuming, of course, that Michigan in January would bring cold temperatures and snow. We were going to explore North Higgins' trails on Cross Country Skis, what are apparently now referred to as Nordic skis. I grew up "Nordic Skiing," because of course I did. Out in the Michigamme Highlands, there are vast areas of untracked wilderness waiting to be explored in the winter, and my father loved getting outside. It's winter half the year, so you'd be crazy to not get outside... well, you'd go crazy just sitting inside. I always figured my dad would have made a hell of a biathlete, given his penchant for hunting and skiing. He stopped hunting partridge with shotguns some years into adulthood and switched to .22, because there wasn't enough skill involved with a 12 gauge. He skied well into his sixties, and even had a pair made special for him via Fischer. They had to be custom because my dad was never a small guy, sitting over 200 pounds his whole life, and apparently Nordic ski-makers just assume nobody over 180 will ever get into the sport. You need a certain amount of tension across the arc of the ski, and bigger guys, myself included, tend to flatten out the curve with our size. I'm 6'0" and 210 without winter gear, meaning I just Do Not Fit into standard skis, as my dad didn't. The folks at Fischer made these skis custom, and they may be the only pair in the world.

You can see the bow-line that needs to flex across the ski in this pic.

Anyway, given my experience with CC skis, we wanted to get out and hit some trails. North Higgins was the only place we found that had both winter camping and a place that rents skis. I borrowed my late father's skis and poles (luckily he and I wore the same size boot), and we planned a January trip.

As is becoming a theme, the weather didn't do us any favors. We'd had an unseasonably warm January, with the only snow still on the ground being the remains of the feet we'd gotten on Christmas. North Higgins had been in the 40s (Farenheit. I never do the conversions for rest-of-the-world units, because I assume this thread will never have any international readers. If I'm mistaken, please comment! I'll include degrees C and km in the future.) There was still snow, but it was mostly just dustings over a sheet of ice, as all the melt re-freezes at night. Certainly not skiing conditions, Nordic or not. So gently caress it, we just put some hiking boots on and hiked the trails.

This was also our first time renting a cabin, which greatly reduced our pack-in load. We just brought hiking gear, water, food, and bedding supplies (bags and pillows), instead of our Hot Tent, stove, and all the other accoutrement. Jeez Louise was the cabin nice. Bunks set up to sleep at least five, a nice wooden table on which to cook, clean, and play cards, plus a mini fridge and a microwave. A microwave! There's an electric heater with a thermostat built into the wall, so we made it a toasty 72 degrees in there. Since I considered this the height of luxury, we brought an iPad with some movies downloaded and really lived it up in the evenings.

We stayed in Cabin 2, but I think they both have similar layouts.

We arrived on Friday, with the sun down since about 5 pm. After offloading our meager amount of gear, we went down to the Silver Dollar Pub, technically in the township of Roscommon, though situated lakeside, closer to 127. As may have been mentioned before, we're taking more to the idea of grabbing our Friday dinners at a local restaurant instead of bringing food. It allows us to eat a meal with no clean-up, frees up some space in the Jeep, and gives us a little taste of the local area. The Silver Dollar was packed, despite the lack of snowmobile traffic (again, weather wasn't cooperative). We ordered a Jamaican Jerk Pizza, and just boggled at the amount of beers both on tap and available. 21 taps in this place, plus an unknown number of cans and bottles. The pizza was pretty drat good, and it allowed us to bring some leftovers back to the cabin. We had a loving microwave, after all.

Exterior pictures of this place are loving impossible to find, even in the Year of Our Lord Google 2023.

On Saturday, we hit the trails, just hiking instead of skiing. There was a planned CC Ski event, either a race or just an organized trail run, but the weather put paid to that. Still, folks had set up a trailhead fire just in case someone wanted to come out and scratch up their skis. We hit the Upland Nature & Fitness trail, then did a loop around Bosom Pines trail, totaling 5.3 miles. We would have done more, but we got a late start since I had stayed up all night drinking scotch and watching movies in my heated bunk, and the sun was going down by the time we finished.

The Fitness trail had a whole bunch of posted exercise stations, with directions and hardware to accommodate each activity. This was apparently put up in the 70s, but they are very well maintained and would give you quite a good workout if you were to jog the loop and hit every station. A pretty cool idea, back when America encouraged its citizens to exercise after childhood. Here you can see me try the balance beams, doing my best impression of the Short's Brewing logo.

At the trailhead, there is a Civilian Conservation Corps museum, showing the reclamation of Michigan's forests and the beginnings of managed woodlands. There are walkthroughs of managed and unmanaged stands of jack pines, old tree nurseries, and a maintained bunkhouse for the workers. If you've never considered the practicalities of forest management, this is a quick and easy way to see the contrast. As we walked through the New Deal era buildings, we lamented the lack of such programs today, given how many folks would like to do meaningful work, and how we could update and maintain our failing infrastructure.

And because I love them, here's a WPA poster.

Anyway, we left Sunday with little fuss, having had a very good time. I may have gotten a little long-winded here, so let's get into the actual breakdown, shall we?

One more time, for convenience
  • Sites – As mentioned above, we stayed in a cabin for the first time! It was pretty neat, and only cost $51, slightly less than double a regular site. For winter camping, North Higgins is restricted to the West Campground, and only sites 82-93 are available. They are wide and deep, situated far from neighbors and nestled within old pines. They are dirt pads, but are fully modern, with power at each. Instead of kidney-shaped loops or regular circles, North Higgins takes advantage of the space it offers by setting out a meandering path of lobes. This creates a feeling of privacy and allows each section to feel unique. Because East Campground was closed, we didn't manage to get much of a look at it, but I can't imagine it would be lesser. There are plenty of trees for hammock setups, and even though there is no rustic camping, the space allows you to feel a little more "in the woods" than a lot Parks.

The cabin's wooden table made for one of our favorite evening activities, Cribbage.

We also got to see other Hot Tent Campers! Of course we would see this the one time we don't actually bring our tent.

• Facilities – We had access to one vault toilet, but there are also modern toilets in each campground, and are situated centrally to the lobes within each. We didn't get to see the interiors, of course, so not much to comment on there. The vault toilet appeared to be cleaned regularly, and offered everything we could ask for. It should be noted that you butt gets pretty cold when taking a morning poo poo, so keep that in mind for winter camping. We used to get around this at Deer Camp by keeping a toilet seat inside the camp that we would take to the outhouse when nature called, allowing our supple bottoms to remain relatively warm. Maybe you could do this if you have the space? Depends on how dainty your dainty unmentionables are.

Because it was winter, the water was also shut off. This makes sense, of course, since the pipes would freeze. That meant we and everyone else brought our own water. When doing this, please keep in mind how much water you will need for cleaning! We regularly use five gallons of water a day for cooking, cleaning and drinking, so plan ahead for extended stays. The rule of thumb is two gallons per person per day. Fill your camelback bladders as well as Nalgenes, cause you'd rather have too much than too little.

• Amenities – As mentioned above, there is the Civilian Conservation Corps museum directly across the road from the campground, and a very nice set of trails reaching North for a few miles. The two campgrounds are attached by a nice paved walking path that will bring you to a crossing, and we saw many locals using it to get their jogs and dog walking in.

The trails are wide and well-maintained, and would be great for skiing and snowshoeing (should the weather cooperate) as well as hikes. They're constructed of finely crushed stone, allowing for maintenance grading and waterflow management, making these some of, if not the best trails in structure we've seen so far. Markers are posted regularly and make the paths clear. The paths take you through different biomes, from hardwoods to pine stands and out into open fields. There is some amount of vertical fluctuation, though this is certainly not a technical hiking trail system. This is engineered to allow for winter activities, so steep, sudden drops are not present, nor are rocky interludes or narrow passes. Fire breaks, long lines of straight roads meant to prevent the spread of forest fire, enclose 40 acre sections. If you felt so inclined, you could hike these to cut across the park, though they wouldn't show much of interest, as they are utilitarian and meant for vehicles. The trails are open for biking, and given the crushed stone path, would probably make for some very fast sections. Dogs are not allowed on groomed ski trails, but this only applies to the winter, and only to groomed trails. No motor vehicles are allowed, so there's no worries about being run down by a snowmobile or ATV, depending on season.

There is a great sense of verticality to the forest, especially in the pine stands.

There is also dedicated boat-trailer parking in the grounds, which is good news since Higgins Lake itself is pretty drat big. Between Higgins and Houghton Lake, you could probably spend more than two days just out exploring on the water. We've head that South Higgins is more of a summer-time party campground and North Higgins is the more outdoorsy, granola oriented setup. Having not been to South Higgins yet, I can't confirm or deny this, but having said that, there are still multiple playgrounds and swing sets for the kids. There are boat launches, boat rentals, as well as concessions and a beach that we didn't visit for obvious reasons. Open water kayaking and canoeing is a definite possibility, though don't expect to see the whole lake if you're paddling.

• The Area – Situated just about where US-127 and I-75 meet, this park couldn't be easier to get to, no matter where in the state you're coming from. It's within spitting distance of Hartwick Pines and South Higgins Lake, should you want to roll these three together into a nice multi-day trip. The town of Roscommon is on the east side of the lake, and there's the requisite tourist-facing businesses on the west shore. Roscommon isn't very big, at roughly 1,000 residents, but it does have grocery stores and gas stations and all the regular stuff. Think small-town and you'll be ok. The Silver Dollar Pub, as mentioned above, is just a few minute drive away from the park, and it's got good food and plenty of beer options, plus a shitload of TVs should you need to see a game or some news or whatever.

• Warnings – No restrictions on alcohol at any time in the calendar, so that's a nice bonus. Despite being so close to two major freeways, the area is very quiet and feels very "Up North," even though it's only two hours from Lansing. Dogs are welcome, but again are not allowed on groomed trails in the winter. For mosquitoes, I feel like this is probably your average Michigan fare. It didn't appear to be swampy in the area, but there are two massive lakes, so this is certainly in the low-lying grounds and it could be an issue.

There was almost full bars for cell service, and I almost thought about writing up and posting this review while I was sitting in the cabin.

• Who is it best for? – This is certainly going to be loved by folks who like to get out on the trails or on the water. The fact that their trails are groomed for skiing means it's a must-visit for the Nordic/Cross-Country skiers. Snowshoers and winter hikers will also find a lot to love and plenty of spaces to explore. Bikers will probably feel a little disappointed by the pedestrian nature of the trails, but that's a sacrifice necessary to accommodate skiing. Hunting and fishing in the area seems like an ideal spot, though deer hunting might be a little tough with the 40-acre squares and long straight fire-break roads. No horses, but that's not a surprise.

Hammock and tent campers, as well as winter campers will find this place very obliging, and the spaces are certainly big enough for any RVs.

North Higgins Lake is The Spot for Nordic/Cross-Country Skiers. A definite must-visit if you've got a pair of skis and the weather is right.

If you're so inclined, it would be neat if you donated toward the purchase of a Track Chair for this park. The trails are perfect for this setup, and it allows folks to see parts of nature they normally wouldn't.

In the end, we found North Higgins to be everything we wanted. We had a hell of a time, and there was plenty to do, read and explore out in the park. Hell, we didn't even go out on the lake and had a great weekend.

Apologies for the long post, it's been a while since we've been camping.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh yeah, we saw this poster at N Higgins.

And it’s everything I’ve ever wanted. It lists each park, rec area, and non-park rustic state campground, shows them all on the map, and also has a big rear end grid showing what activities and amenities are available at each of them. I can’t find this thing online, and according to the dude at the Michigan Welcome Center in Clare, they don’t print em anymore.

I seriously thought about taking this, but my conscience is too pure to deprive others of this information. If you know anyone who works for the DNR, send me their info. This poster is everything the entire thread is getting at, and I’d love to have one on my wall.

Yes, I am a dork.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

And it’s everything I’ve ever wanted. It lists each park, rec area, and non-park rustic state campground, shows them all on the map, and also has a big rear end grid showing what activities and amenities are available at each of them. I can’t find this thing online, and according to the dude at the Michigan Welcome Center in Clare, they don’t print em anymore.

I seriously thought about taking this, but my conscience is too pure to deprive others of this information. If you know anyone who works for the DNR, send me their info. This poster is everything the entire thread is getting at, and I’d love to have one on my wall.

Yes, I am a dork.

I'm good friends with a guy who's high up in the MI DNR. Just texted him to see if he knew, but presumably any local DNR office should have copies. You could also reach out to the parks and recreation division and inquire with them.

Edit: they're moving away from paper maps so I definitely would suggest hitting a local office or contacting the parks and rec division to see if anyone has a copy before they're all tossed if they aren't already.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 9, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm good friends with a guy who's high up in the MI DNR. Just texted him to see if he knew, but presumably any local DNR office should have copies. You could also reach out to the parks and recreation division and inquire with them.

Edit: they're moving away from paper maps so I definitely would suggest hitting a local office or contacting the parks and rec division to see if anyone has a copy before they're all tossed if they aren't already.

Woo! Hell yes my friend. I’ve emailed Parks and Rec with this request, asking for digital images, paper copies, or any type of leads.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yes, I am a dork.

I’ve got one hanging in the basement that I’m using to plan my next couple of trips, it’s literally next to my WFH set up. I’ll take a good high res pic of it for ya

Edit will also reach out to a buddy and have the fam check, we might have spares

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

If anyone gets a good digital file, please post it in the thread. I'm in WI, but spend plenty of time biking and camping in MI, so I'd love to have one too

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

If anyone gets a good digital file, please post it in the thread. I'm in WI, but spend plenty of time biking and camping in MI, so I'd love to have one too

As I do have a full pristine copy of the map, I'll see if I have anyone who can help me with scanning it in. If not, I might bust out my DSLR and some strong lighting to make it work lol I have Lady Bagmo snapping a picture for me this morning hopefully, gonna reach out to my friends/family and see who has extra copies.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lady bagmo came through! Not the best but here's the version I have. I'm going to see if my mom/dad/sister, as well as a few friends who are huge park goers, have any extra copies as I'd like to get a couple for y'all :)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

that loving rules, hoping it is not 100% out of print.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bagmonkey posted:

Lady bagmo came through! Not the best but here's the version I have. I'm going to see if my mom/dad/sister, as well as a few friends who are huge park goers, have any extra copies as I'd like to get a couple for y'all :)

drat, that’s a killer post. I’m going to link it in the OP.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

My wife and I are in Grand Rapids and to date have done probably 30+ state parks/state forests, including pretty much all the Lake MI shoreline ones from Warren Dunes all the way up to Wilderness. We've also done quite a few in the UP.

If anyone is curious about a place not covered already I'd be happy to weigh in if I know it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

amenenema posted:

My wife and I are in Grand Rapids and to date have done probably 30+ state parks/state forests, including pretty much all the Lake MI shoreline ones from Warren Dunes all the way up to Wilderness. We've also done quite a few in the UP.

If anyone is curious about a place not covered already I'd be happy to weigh in if I know it.

What's the worst state park you have visited? I want to stay at a few of the worst parks this summer while solo camping cuz I love garbage

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

amenenema posted:

You could always just throw some posts about any of em if you feel like it. It’s not like the thread has a lot of traffic, so feel free to offer your two cents on anything.

This applies to anyone, after all. Nobody but me said they’d do big dumb write ups, so there’s no hard commitment to just posting.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I will try to figure out how to get a hi res scan of this eventually but I think should do!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, that's great, thanks!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

What's the worst state park you have visited? I want to stay at a few of the worst parks this summer while solo camping cuz I love garbage

So honestly none have been bad because of the park itself. They're all at least "good" on the amenities and nature front, and most exceed expectations. Bad experiences have been because of weather, bugs, or people, nothing the DNR can really control. If you want the best chance to have a poo poo experience go to the super popular places at peak season. Tahquamenon in August comes to mind. You'll have screaming kids, generators 24/7, and more Trump flags than you can shake a stick at!

If you stick to State Forest Campgrounds you lose bathrooms/showers but you also lose most people. That's where most of our travels have been recently. Huge shout-out to:

- Big Bear POINT State Forest Campground - https://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/details.aspx?id=617&type=SFCG (note not Big Bear LAKE SFC across the lake, this one is way better - sites are much more secluded/scenic and it is sheltered from wind).

- Milakokia Lake State Forest Campground - https://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/details.aspx?id=686&type=SFCG - a true hidden gem with tons of sites right on the lake.

Also scouted this one while driving home from Whitefish Point last fall - Andrus Lake SFC - https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=681&type=SFCG - looks pretty dope.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You could always just throw some posts about any of em if you feel like it. It’s not like the thread has a lot of traffic, so feel free to offer your two cents on anything.

This applies to anyone, after all. Nobody but me said they’d do big dumb write ups, so there’s no hard commitment to just posting.

Word!

amenenema fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 16, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In early March, we visited Brighton State Recreation Area

This was a single night trip, spending Saturday hiking the trails and sleeping in the hot tent, returning home Sunday. Given the limited availability for winter camping, we knew we'd be back here in the summer, so a single night was deemed acceptable. Hell, it's only 45 minutes from home, so why not get out there and try it? It was also a good low-stakes test run of our full winter camping kit, which we had acquired but hadn't used yet.

We showed up at noon(ish) and hit the only hiking trail, Penosha, for the ~5 mile hike. Well, technically there's a shorter loop, Parishfield, but it's full enclosed by Penosha and it's much shorter, so we didn't even consider it.

If it had snowed any considerable amount, we would have brought some snowshoes, but that wasn't the case. There was snow that had fallen on Friday, but by Saturday it had all melted into a kind of sloppy trail experience. We have nice Keen winter hiking boots with aggressive tread, so we made short work of the sloppy parts. (Feel free to ask about the boots, it's TGO after all. Gotta have some gear discussion in here somewhere.)

Man, the trails were some of the best in design and layout we've hiked! This is a really great loop with lots of ridgelines and valleys, great scenery, and tons of elevation changes. Unfortunately it does take you through some private land on the south end, near Teahetn Road, so you end up basically hiking through some folks back yards and along a gravel road for a bit. That said, we really enjoyed the hike and I'd heartily recommend this SRA for even a day trip or a walk in the woods.

When we got back, we set up the tent. Very few sites are open during the winter, and the one we booked was snow covered, so we just pitched on some dry ground in the site behind ours. Nobody complained or cared. The Nortent can certainly be set up on snowy ground, but you still wanna clear the area where you pitch, and we had forgotten a larger snow shovel and only had a collapsible trench shovel (that I call the Poop Shovel, because it's really only used for digging holes to poop in).

After making ourselves some dehydrated dinner (coconut chicken curry, was actually pretty drat good), we fired up the stove and played a couple of games inside. We have Helinox ground chairs and a collapsible table for inside the tent, so we stayed compact and cozy throughout the evening. After the sun set, Mrs. Lunchables crashed early, and I drank whiskey and farted around on my phone before finally crashing. Since we now have good 0 degree down bags, we stayed toasty warm throughout the night.

We woke up to about two inches of snow on top of the tent. I don't remember seeing it on the forecast, but that's Michigan weather for ya. Hot tents in the snow are mighty good for keeping you warm, but the temperature difference does mean that moisture will collect on the inside by the morning. We were dry, but we had to air out the outer shell and sleeping bags when we got home.

Anyway, let's get into the meat of it. This will be a truncated list due to the truncated trip.

• Sites – We stayed in the Bishop Lake Campground, a modern setup that boasts almost 200 sites and inexplicably shares a single bathroom building. These sites are all pretty flat grass pads and without tree cover, but of course they have power. Without paved pads it means that most/all of the Bishop Lake sites can easily accommodate tents and stakes. We didn't notice any issues with soggy areas, but the lower campground seems like it would be more likely to have standing water. The lake is within spitting distance, so plan accordingly if you're going during a wet season.

Our site. Since we only had the Poop Shovel, we pitched in the dry area beyond the fire pit

There are three other campgrounds in the SRA, two rustic and one equestrian. We will probably try to stay in a rustic campground when we come back in the summer.

• Facilities – As mentioned above, Bishop Lake Campground has a single big bathroom building split between the upper and lower areas. Here's the neat part: it's open and heated during the winter! Warm toilet seats and running water to wash your hands/brush your teeth were a very nice treat. They even had a shower stall open, should you want to use it. The facilities were clean and up to date, though they might be a little messier during the summer when you've got all the sites using a single building. Inside the hallway between the bathrooms and showers they had a pretty cool little diorama with taxidermized (didnt know that was a word) animals in the area. They were all pretty sad looking, but it did have neat facts about the local flora and fauna. Unfortunately, we forgot to get a picture. If you go, please take a couple pics and post em!

Since they don't have drinking water stations open during the winter, we didn't get a chance to see if the water was any good. When we visit again, we will try the hand-pump wells and report back.

• Amenities – I covered the trails in the intro, but I'll just reiterate: the trails rocked and are worth hiking. They weren't as well-maintained as North Higgins, with the pea stones and CC Ski grooming, but they were much more fun to hike through. We didn't do any of the biking or horse trails, obviously, but Brighton has a surprising (to me) number of hills and valleys, with little ponds and pockets isolated from the surrounding area. The other stuff I will leave to a summer review.

Brighton is also home to some big Sandhill Cranes! There were two pairs of them in the campground when we were there, and they were constantly yelling at and fighting with the geese.

Goddamn dinosaurs man, they're so much bigger in person.

• The Area – Brighton SRA is unsurprisingly located in Brighton. I've said Brighton a lot. Brighton. It's pretty drat easy to get to off of 96, and is just a few miles from everything you could ever need. No small town caveats or restrictions here. Brighton

A - Ace Hardware, B - Boomers Party Store, C - Jonna's Market (beer, liquor, wine, pizza, deli), D - Jet's Pizza

• Warnings – You can't have alcohol in the Bishop Lake day-use area April 1 - September 30th, but that doesn't include the campground or any of the other areas. To restrict the Emerald Ash Borer, you can't bring Ashwood with bark on, but come on, you shouldn't be bringing wood anyway. Let's save some trees, folks.
    The beaches are also
    Apart from that, there's not much to say. We didn't have any bug problems, but of course it was winter. We will return to this one after a summer trip and maybe have more to add.

Oh! Plenty of cell service, so don't worry about your ability to shitpost during your camping trip.

• Who is it best for? – Seems like a very classic "Everybody Park," given the equestrian trails and camping, dedicated mountain bike trails (which I imagine are as good as the hiking trails), and many lakes for boating and fishing. Hammock campers won't find much use in the Bishop Lake modern area, since the tree cover is very low, but I'd bet that's less of a problem in the other two rustic areas. The fact that this is open year-round and also has full modern amenities during the winter puts it pretty high up on the list for recommended winter camping spots. The rugged terrain as well as the accessibility (did I say Brighton yet? It's in Brighton.) make this an across the board winner.

BRIGHTON State Recreation Area: literally no downside.

Come say hi if you see a fat bald man that matches the above proportions

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man this is making me want to go camping in Michigan again. My grandparents had a cabin on a lake near Rifle River and I spent about every other weekend up there as a kid, winter and summer, and if we weren’t there we were camping or hitting up places like Hartwick Pines or Castle Rock or Ocqueoc Falls (which is crazy developed now vs when I was a kid). Thanks for all this and keep the commentary coming, one of these days I’ll drag some friends out winter camping.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

All our free time has been tied up in the house-buying nightmare that exists today, so we haven’t been camping since March. It feels pretty weird to finally have good weather but no camping plans for a month.

Stay tuned, we’ve got some scheduled for July and beyond.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013
LOoking forward to the next updates. This thread kicks rear end!!! :worship:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I am going camping next week, 2 nights at the Old 131 campground on the Manistee River just nw of Manton.

I also have 2 nights planned in the UP at the Trout Lake campground in Trout Lake, conveniently located on the shores of, you guessed it ... Carp Lake.

Neither of these are state parks but they are camping, sort of. In Michigan.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

titties posted:

I am going camping next week, 2 nights at the Old 131 campground on the Manistee River just nw of Manton.

I also have 2 nights planned in the UP at the Trout Lake campground in Trout Lake, conveniently located on the shores of, you guessed it ... Carp Lake.

Neither of these are state parks but they are camping, sort of. In Michigan.

Which Trout Lake?

I know it’s old hat to bitch about unoriginal names of lakes, but it remains to be said that there are too many places named Deer Lake here.

We just did Ludington State Park for the fourth, which was really cool, but finding the time to write it up has been really tough. Do i regret signing up for way-too-long, high effort posts only? Time will tell.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Which Trout Lake?

I know it’s old hat to bitch about unoriginal names of lakes, but it remains to be said that there are too many places named Deer Lake here.

We just did Ludington State Park for the fourth, which was really cool, but finding the time to write it up has been really tough. Do i regret signing up for way-too-long, high effort posts only? Time will tell.

Northwest of Ozark on the 123. I was mistaken though, i would have sworn that the maps had the lake at the campground labeled Carp Lake, but it is Trout Lake after all. So it's the Trout Lake township campground in the township of Trout Lake on Trout Lake. There are no trout afaik

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Did you go to the hike in site at Ludington? That's one of my favorites.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We didn’t, unfortunately. Ludington is such a big drat park that it really seems you need like three separate visits to try cover it. Add in the difficult terrain of dunes and ridge lines and it makes it even harder.

Mostly though we didn’t cover as much because it was the 4th of July and Mrs. Lunchables’ family is from the area, so we had less time than a typical camping trip.

I want to plan a winter trip some time, though the holiday craziness may have turned her off to the idea for the near future.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Bump, we're camping second week of August and I'm trying to figure out where we should stay for the last night. Trip looks like this so far:

Interlochen for 4 nights with family
Straits SP for 1 night
Twin Lakes for 3 nights
Tahquamenon Falls for 1 night
??? for 1 night

Lady bagmo suggested Hartwick, but we were there just a couple of years ago. Where would you suggest we stay at if we're on the way back to SE MI from Tahquamenon Falls SP??

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bagmonkey posted:

Bump, we're camping second week of August and I'm trying to figure out where we should stay for the last night. Trip looks like this so far:

Straits SP for 1 night
Twin Lakes for 3 nights
??? for 1 night

Lady bagmo suggested Hartwick, but we were there just a couple of years ago. Where would you suggest we stay at if we're on the way back to SE MI from Tahquamenon Falls SP??

I’d hit Wilderness on the way back, I’ve only heard great things about it. A liiiiiiiittle out of the way, but not too far.

I should really get my Ludington SP update written. More of an excuse to set up my computer.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience with camping at State Forest campgrounds? I think next summer I'm gonna try and do that more because they are cheap as gently caress and easy to find everywhere

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

bagmonkey posted:

Does anyone have experience with camping at State Forest campgrounds? I think next summer I'm gonna try and do that more because they are cheap as gently caress and easy to find everywhere

amenenema does, according to their post up thread. I usually did most of my camping at those when I was a kid because you never had to worry about reservations and it cost like $2 a day or something.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

bagmonkey posted:

I have, they tend to be very chill but on the downside you can show up and be camped next to a fraternity bachelor party who is thumping tunes till 4am.

You can wild camp on any state land of federal land with a few caveats. Find a nice ridge and want to camp there? Go for it, for free, as long as it's 1 mile away from a state forest campground. There's a few other rules but that's the basics of it. Federal land is a bit different, but very similar.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

Straits SP for 1 night
Twin Lakes for 3 nights
??? for 1 night

Ocqueoc Falls Since its first come, first served you can make reservations at Hoeft, which runs the campground and isn't much further and also has some Lake Huron beachfront. Be prepared for bugs. https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=456&type=SPRK
You can also take US23 all the way to at least Flint if you want to avoid that I-75 parking lot and get a lot of nice lakefront views. http://www.us23heritageroute.org/

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We've settled on Harrisville because I can get a lakeside site and we can go to a trout farm AND a lighthouse