Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Straits State park has nicer bathrooms than that, incredibly. We went last year and I was positively agog at how goddamn nice they were. Best bathrooms of any park I've been to. Those reinvestment funds starting to pay off for the park system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The park itself felt like it basically only existed to cater to people going to Mackinac Island. There are a couple of trails, technically, but they're basically paved bike trails that go out onto nearby roads and continue/end. Beach is a bit too rocky to be fun. There is a grocery store and Dollar General like RIGHT outside the campground if you forgot something, and the main town isn't too far away either. But aside from the bathrooms, I thought Brimley just a little further north was a lot better holistically

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

What site you at, bagmo, that view looks great

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Heading to Interlochen tomorrow. Can't wait to remember what I forgot

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Just got back from Interlochen. It was nice seeing the old bathrooms and the new bathrooms more or less side-by-side and seeing just how much goddamn better they are now. We did tent camping, buddy did RV camping. I was not super impressed by their campsites as far as tent stuff went. The ground in our general section seemed either sandy and soft or (on my site) gravelly/sandy as all poo poo. I couldn't actually get a stake in all the way due to gravel and it proceeded to vex me the whole drat weekend. A lot of the sites for RVs also mostly seemed like they were absolute bastards to lever and finagle the trailers into. Still a fine campground, and I'm not opposed to going again, but kinda hit my second tier of preferences. Maybe if I had one of those super pretty lakefront ones that bagmonkey had...

Off site, that Tom's grocery store was great. There's also an ice cream place/mini-golf spot that we went to. Ice cream was good, but the course felt more like miniature golf than mini-golf, if that makes sense. I like my mini-golf to have some whacky luck-based shenanigans to it (give me a stone plinko, or loop-the-loop, or multi-level nonsense), and this place basically didn't have any of that. Also, be aware, you are directly across from Interlochen Academy, and evidently they had drumline going at 7:30am on a Sunday for some reason. Also, their poor crossing guard was there until like 10:30pm (why?!)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

amenenema posted:

Awesome write up, thanks! I've driven by the gardens many times and this convinces me to stop in sometime soon.

If you're ever a bit southwest in Tecumseh check out the Ives Road Fen nature preserve - pretty rare wetland ecosystem type with some cool plants and butterflies.

Deffo gonna check this out next nice-ish day I've got. I've also been meaning to get over to Hidden Lake ever since their canopy walk opened, but one thing or another, you know?

My personal theory for Hayes is that it is just one more parking/camping option for MIS/Faster Horses that isn't on the racetrack grounds themselves, in case you want a little bit of separation? I guess?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

We have other big travel plans this year, so the only camping we'll probably do is at Waterloo. Not as exciting as some other state parks, but it'll be fine, I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, the whole place was lit up, but not like… grotesquely so. The lights they used were soft enough to not drown you. It all felt very intimate, very “postcard” and Hallmark channel, if that makes any sense.

The ski trails also had blue lights posted every so often so you could presumably stay on trail even in driving snow.

My sister took the pictures of the outside and inside of the yurt. She clearly paid attention in photography class, because nothing I do comes out like that. I might need to invite her to more trips just to get some high class pictures to post.

Also, this little bastard made it incredibly hard to write and format. I wasn’t paying attention to him, ya know? So that means I had to have claws in my shoulder while I typed.

Hey, I have that keyboard