Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's really hard, but if anyone is planning an IR trip I recommend doing kayaking there. There's a brutal section of portaging you can do via a chain of lakes, which then takes you out to the gorgeous (and dangerous) northern shore. Well worth it but it's also very weather dependent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

amenenema posted:

I have bad news for you.

I also very much want to do this.

One of my extended family who lives near Republic has been back to that spot a few times, but I haven't heard of the 'moose boulder.' What is it?

Meese stories:
The guy who's been to Ryan lake once almost hit a moose on m-95 in rutting season. He was driving a geo metro. The bull moose put an antler through his passenger side door and smashed that, then ripped off his bumper before he got away.
I saw a large moose at IR from our campsite on the water, when it shook itself dry after a swim it sounded like a gunshot.
Finally, when i was in the boundary waters as a teen, my dad & I were in a canoe and we chased a swimming moose for a while. Whenever we got close it would accelerate super hard and have its front legs come out of the water. There was no plan for if it turned on us. Similarly, decades prior to that my dad had chased a swimming bear in said boundary waters.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 21, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Ryan Island is an island in Siskiwit Lake on IR.

On Ryan Island there was supposedly a seasonal pond that featured a large boulder in it. When that seasonal pond was flooded, Moose Boulder becomes the largest island, in the largest lake, in the largest island, in the largest lake, in the largest island, in the largest lake in the world.

Perfect, thanks for the explanation.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That is really cool. Winter camping can be very hard with the early sunset, so having everything lit up like that is great.