Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

My wife and I are in Grand Rapids and to date have done probably 30+ state parks/state forests, including pretty much all the Lake MI shoreline ones from Warren Dunes all the way up to Wilderness. We've also done quite a few in the UP.

If anyone is curious about a place not covered already I'd be happy to weigh in if I know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

What's the worst state park you have visited? I want to stay at a few of the worst parks this summer while solo camping cuz I love garbage

So honestly none have been bad because of the park itself. They're all at least "good" on the amenities and nature front, and most exceed expectations. Bad experiences have been because of weather, bugs, or people, nothing the DNR can really control. If you want the best chance to have a poo poo experience go to the super popular places at peak season. Tahquamenon in August comes to mind. You'll have screaming kids, generators 24/7, and more Trump flags than you can shake a stick at!

If you stick to State Forest Campgrounds you lose bathrooms/showers but you also lose most people. That's where most of our travels have been recently. Huge shout-out to:

- Big Bear POINT State Forest Campground - https://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/details.aspx?id=617&type=SFCG (note not Big Bear LAKE SFC across the lake, this one is way better - sites are much more secluded/scenic and it is sheltered from wind).

- Milakokia Lake State Forest Campground - https://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/details.aspx?id=686&type=SFCG - a true hidden gem with tons of sites right on the lake.

Also scouted this one while driving home from Whitefish Point last fall - Andrus Lake SFC - https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=681&type=SFCG - looks pretty dope.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You could always just throw some posts about any of em if you feel like it. It’s not like the thread has a lot of traffic, so feel free to offer your two cents on anything.

This applies to anyone, after all. Nobody but me said they’d do big dumb write ups, so there’s no hard commitment to just posting.

Word!

amenenema fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 16, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

Does anyone have experience with camping at State Forest campgrounds? I think next summer I'm gonna try and do that more because they are cheap as gently caress and easy to find everywhere

If you don't need a proper bathroom/shower and electric hook up I would absolutely recommend them over State Park campgrounds. Quieter, less "party crowds", more scenic in a lot of cases, etc.

Anything in particular you want to know?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

Mostly curious about the experience, anything I need to know that might not be obvious, unwritten "rules", etc. I'm one of those types who loves knowing way too much about stuff before diving in :)

Word! Some general overview at: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/things-to-do/camping-and-lodging/state-forest-campgrounds

I'll go through our typical steps chronologically.

Arrival (say, Friday afternoon/early evening): Drive in, grab a permit from the entrance kiosk as you pass, pick your site. Most SFCs have somewhere around maybe 20 sites, some more, some less. They are all first-come, first served. Honestly I've never been to one that was full, even in peak summer season. The permit you grab will have an envelope for your payment and a spot to write in your stay length (to correlate with payment). You tear off a matching tag from that envelope and put it on a little clip that's on a post at the front of each site. Put you money in the envelope and take it back to the kiosk where there's a metal cylinder or other lockbox to put the fee inside. BRING A PEN OR PENCIL!

Get setup: Put out your tent/deploy you camper/hang your hammocks/etc. Start eating and drinking LOL. Figure out if there is a trail/lake/river you wanna enjoy. Say hi to you neighbors if they're within view. One nice thing about SFCs vs State Parks is there's normally more privacy between sites (wall of vegetation/trees for example). At State Parks to make room for big RVs the sites are very open and cleared. If you're a tent camper this can make you feel pretty exposed.

Build a fire (obvious requirement of camping) and then relax. Note - firewood is typically not sold at a SFC itself, but there will ALWAYS be roadside stands somewhere nearby. Scope those on the way in and buy some wood if necessary. Don't scavenge wood from the site; that's all habitat for various critters. And please don't transport wood - not only did we lose all our ash trees to emerald ash borer, but we now have oak wilt, beech bark/leaf diseases, and hemlock woolly adelgid. Adding to the forest pest risk is the potential for Japanese longhorn beetle, which is not species specific and will basically kill all the trees in Michigan if it gets here. Consider decontaminating your clothing/gear/vehicle if you move from site to site if possible.

For the remainder of the visit, enjoy what's at the campground re: trails or boating/swimming or perhaps take a short bike ride or drive to whatever's nearby. Take every opportunity to go to the weird local stuff like shops/cafes. Even convenience stores out in the middle of nowhere can have a lot of character/charm, and you might find some tips on cool stuff to do. Take advantage of AllTrails to see if there's routes nearby.

Checkout is normally 1pm I think (it'll be posted on the ticket/kiosk).

There is also normally a camp host during peak season, and they can help/offer insight to the local area, show you how to drink 30 beers in a few hours and appear completely sober because they've been doing it every night for multiple months (but seriously they're great), etc.

Re: "rules" - just be chill, generally. Keep it quiet after 10pm and before 8 or 9 am (not sure if they have official quiet hours, it'll be posted on the kiosk if so). Take a walk through the whole campground loop and say hi to folks. Maybe make a new friend! If you can't pick out the site that's maybe a little too loud or a little too "much", make sure it isn't you! ;D

amenenema fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 26, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Brimley is where I'm pretty sure I saw a divorce happen.

Great beach too!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I mean, I don't know for sure , but it was an argument on the beach that escalated to cops coming so...??

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

You want Pirates Cove on 31 in Traverse City!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Wilderness rules. Say hi to the friendly gang of 10 raccoons we saw there a couple years ago. They hang at the dumpsters on the way to the water from the inland sites.

If you're nice they might show up at your campfire and patiently wait for treatos.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Awesome write up, thanks! I've driven by the gardens many times and this convinces me to stop in sometime soon.

If you're ever a bit southwest in Tecumseh check out the Ives Road Fen nature preserve - pretty rare wetland ecosystem type with some cool plants and butterflies.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I just hope there’s enough ice pack that they can intermittently make it back to the mainland and get some new bloodlines in the mix. Island wolves is such a risky proposition in the era of climate change

I have bad news for you.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I want to kayak on Siskiwit lake and go to Ryan Island and prove that Moose Boulder exists and that it is the largest island in the largest lake in the largest island in the largest lake in the largest island in the largest lake in the world.

I also very much want to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

trevorreznik posted:

One of my extended family who lives near Republic has been back to that spot a few times, but I haven't heard of the 'moose boulder.' What is it?

Not sure - I just wanna do the recursive island/lake thing