Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man this is making me want to go camping in Michigan again. My grandparents had a cabin on a lake near Rifle River and I spent about every other weekend up there as a kid, winter and summer, and if we weren’t there we were camping or hitting up places like Hartwick Pines or Castle Rock or Ocqueoc Falls (which is crazy developed now vs when I was a kid). Thanks for all this and keep the commentary coming, one of these days I’ll drag some friends out winter camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

Bump, we're camping second week of August and I'm trying to figure out where we should stay for the last night. Trip looks like this so far:

Interlochen for 4 nights with family
Straits SP for 1 night
Twin Lakes for 3 nights
Tahquamenon Falls for 1 night
??? for 1 night

Lady bagmo suggested Hartwick, but we were there just a couple of years ago. Where would you suggest we stay at if we're on the way back to SE MI from Tahquamenon Falls SP??

Ocqueoc Falls Since its first come, first served you can make reservations at Hoeft, which runs the campground and isn't much further and also has some Lake Huron beachfront. Be prepared for bugs. https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=456&type=SPRK
You can also take US23 all the way to at least Flint if you want to avoid that I-75 parking lot and get a lot of nice lakefront views. http://www.us23heritageroute.org/

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 25, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

On the Fourth of July 2023 we went to Ludington State Park
1. Awesome write up thank you

2. You are an absolute glutton for punishment

3. Those ‘tent only’ campsites are exactly how I remember campsites looking from when I was a kid, multiple decades ago. The fact you got easy access to the nice bathrooms and not just a vault toilet makes me green with envy.

4. Yeah the wildlife gives absolutely no fucks. I was at Sand Lake a few years ago with the kids and watched a chipmunk work his little rear end off trying to somehow, someway get into my open hatchback where an open single serving size container of peanut butter was. I was like three feet away at the time and not hiding. In broad daylight.

5. I would also add ‘Don’t go camping on Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend either’ but at that point you’re kind of out of three day weekends that work for everyone so I will just add a ‘DO go Columbus Day weekend’ if you get it off.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

We had originally planned to go to Sterling State Park, on the shores of Lake Erie, but a goddamn tornado (or six) happened to touch down in Michigan. One just a few miles from our house. Instead of lazing on the beach, we’re feeding a generator so that our fridge doesn’t die, wishing we could take a shower.

Consider this a conditional 0/10 for Sterling State Park. Absolutely terrible.

(We will reschedule some time soon. This whole year has been absolutely poo poo for getting out and camping. At least we are safe and the house is standing.)

Holy poo poo glad you’re ok. Whereabouts?