Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Looking forward to this, its going to be useful info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

to be fair it is outside west branch proper and kind of in the middle of nowhere on 33. not too far from west branch there is also an older tiki bar by Houghton lake called Frog Tiki bar as well.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

that loving rules, hoping it is not 100% out of print.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Isle Royale would have to be a separate trip just due to logistics. This year we’ve got Holly SRA, Waterloo, maybe gonna knock off Van Riper and Craig Lake while I visit my mom. We did a yurt at Muskegon, but I just have not had the motivation to write it up yet.

IR is amazing, but yeah its a bit of an event getting there. The Seaplane is a must. 45 minutes vs 4-6 hours and extremely cool views of the island. My buddies and I did it for a our first real backpacking trip, and we still talk about going back because now it would be easy mode. Plus we never saw a damned moose despite them walking past our tents at night.

IIRC it is among the least visited parks, but it is the most returned to.

Unrelated but a moose sprinted through our camp at Banff last year so while i have literally heard one galloping 10 feet from me, i still have yet to see one in the wild with my eyes, beyond the rear end of one running into the woods in Glacier NP.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the wolves on IR now are healthy, and strong, and are my friends

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I just hope there’s enough ice pack that they can intermittently make it back to the mainland and get some new bloodlines in the mix. Island wolves is such a risky proposition in the era of climate change

The island is plenty big enough for the wolves to be self sustaining. What hosed them was a dude bringing his dog to the island and spreading Parvo. They never recovered from that, and it was a long slow decline afterwards. I assume if things get dicey they can ship in a few more wolves as well.

One of the coolest things that happened when i was there was at the Daisy Farm campground the 2 people running the Predator/Prey study did a presentation in the evening. They live right across the bay there and gave a little talk and answered questions for a while.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I want to kayak on Siskiwit lake and go to Ryan Island and prove that Moose Boulder exists and that it is the largest island in the largest lake in the largest island in the largest lake in the largest island in the largest lake in the world.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

ClapeMoji posted:

Sorry for the derail in advance.

Seeing a moose up close and in person will unlock a new fear you didn't know you had. The fuckers will sometimes lay in the brush next to the trail and you wouldn't even know they're there until you hear a "you're too close, bro" snort and a boulder with legs stands up and is as tall as you are... At the shoulders.

How much did a sea plane run? I've been to IR twice and yeah being able to get there and back to shore (especially since you want nothing more than to sleep and shower after getting out of the woods) sounds excellent.

per person it was ~$350 for the plane, ~$150 for the ferry from houghton. The copper harbor ferry is shorter but is known as the vomit comet cause the faster speed somehow makes the seasickness way worse for a lot of people. the ferry from houghton is a 6 hour ride. The plane is obviously more expensive but we were on the trail and hiking by like 9:30AM on our first day, and back on the mainland at about the same time on the return trip. to my group the extra cost was well worth saving 12 hours on a boat, which would have changed our driving schedule too since we were coming up from SE MI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

One of my extended family who lives near Republic has been back to that spot a few times, but I haven't heard of the 'moose boulder.' What is it?

Meese stories:
The guy who's been to Ryan lake once almost hit a moose on m-95 in rutting season. He was driving a geo metro. The bull moose put an antler through his passenger side door and smashed that, then ripped off his bumper before he got away.
I saw a large moose at IR from our campsite on the water, when it shook itself dry after a swim it sounded like a gunshot.
Finally, when i was in the boundary waters as a teen, my dad & I were in a canoe and we chased a swimming moose for a while. Whenever we got close it would accelerate super hard and have its front legs come out of the water. There was no plan for if it turned on us. Similarly, decades prior to that my dad had chased a swimming bear in said boundary waters.

Ryan Island is an island in Siskiwit Lake on IR.

On Ryan Island there was supposedly a seasonal pond that featured a large boulder in it. When that seasonal pond was flooded, Moose Boulder becomes the largest island, in the largest lake, in the largest island, in the largest lake, in the largest island, in the largest lake in the world.