Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Only a week to figure out which Final Fantasy character to name your child after

As if I hadn't already decided on "Sonic & Knuckles"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i find it really funny that they had some story about how they were going after "higher review scores" with the next sonic game and apparently the answer to that is "open world"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

IGN is showing off sonic frontiers gameplay and it sure looks like A Thing

aside from the idea of an open world sonic the hedgehog game just being loving weird, the aesthetics of it feel really off. the rails and balloons you can dash around on look like texture glitches or unfinished alpha elements from a distance, and the ancient dark souls ruins aren't blending with the more cartoony stuff like springs as well as they managed it in past titles. it's got very strong unity game vibes, for lack of a better term
Wow, this really looks like a UE5 Remake/Nintendo Hire This Man game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

like, i ain't no game designer or nothin', but it seems to me like the obvious corollary to having grinding rails and jumping balloons as a core gameplay element in an open world game is having a world design that makes them seem naturalistic, like horizon-esque leafy skyscrapers with the steel girders exposed

having a bunch of generic-looking old timey ruins with metal crazy straws spiraling around them clashes in a way that makes it feel like those were the assets you got in the $40 pack off the unity store and you're god drat going to use them

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Sonic Frontiers looks like a barren, lifeless tech demo for an open-world Sonic game, kind of like the initial gameplay demo for Breath of the Wild from 2014, except that the style of world and gameplay on display here don't seem to fit the IP at all

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Dann_Sw/status/1532013700432941059

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's just so weird to see the grinding rails floating in the air, not attached to anything, in the middle of this realistic environment. It looks like a tech demo or like a test level pieced together from premade assets that you'd use to test out the player character's movement or something like that

Open-world Sonic is fine but I don't know why you wouldn't go for a more cartoony aesthetic where having weird platforming level architecture might be less jarring

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Harrow posted:

It looks like a tech demo or like a test level pieced together from premade assets that you'd use to test out the player character's movement or something like that

This could describe every 3D Sonic game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

It's just so weird to see the grinding rails floating in the air, not attached to anything, in the middle of this realistic environment. It looks like a tech demo or like a test level pieced together from premade assets that you'd use to test out the player character's movement or something like that

that's what my thought was, too, but the fact that they didn't preface the preview with any kind of "this is just our alpha testing site pls no flame!!!" disclaimer is some really dire poo poo

i'm guessing all the staff from sonic 2006 either moved on from sega or suffered collective amnesia because i seriously thought they'd finally weaned themselves off the idea of putting a loving cartoon hedgehog in photorealistic environments but here we are

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Harrow posted:

Open-world Sonic is fine but I don't know why you wouldn't go for a more cartoony aesthetic where having weird platforming level architecture might be less jarring

same thought, the choice to go for a quasi-realistic SF/fantasy aesthetic is just baffling

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What could be more sonic than a green hill zone....

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
diablo immortal is the perfect punishment for the fiends who keep making lovely games like d2 be a thing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

What could be more sonic than a green hill zone....

needs more alternating bands of bright and dark green running through the grass

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

External Organs posted:

Apparently Diablo Immortal is pay to win. :rubby:

I guess I thought it'd all just be cosmetics. Oh well!

American and Western European audiences are the only markets that dislike "pay to win". I remember hearing this many, many years ago on a Giantbomb podcast and I don't think anything has changed The game just isn't for us

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I'm not really interested in playing Pokemon RN but I do want to see the designs of pompadour/ducktail duck's evolutions

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i find it really funny that they had some story about how they were going after "higher review scores" with the next sonic game and apparently the answer to that is "open world"
Attach a story about Sonic reconnecting with his absentee father and they'll get a big fat metacritic score

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vermain posted:

IGN is showing off sonic frontiers gameplay and it sure looks like A Thing

aside from the idea of an open world sonic the hedgehog game just being loving weird, the aesthetics of it feel really off. the rails and balloons you can dash around on look like texture glitches or unfinished alpha elements from a distance, and the ancient dark souls ruins aren't blending with the more cartoony stuff like springs as well as they managed it in past titles. it's got very strong unity game vibes, for lack of a better term

The pop-up really makes me cry on the inside as a QA tech

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1532036691522949120

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm not real optimistic about UbiSonic based on what I've seen

Feel like the Sonic games started actually getting good around Generations but I think it was literally just that game (and maybe Colors?) and the series quickly returned to baseline lol

Also loved all the fun remixing of tracks that was done for the Modern/Classic stages

the daytime stages from Unleased were sorta a prototype for the Modern Sonic stuff in Generations and the game is a marked improvement over previous... efforts from the era but jesus christ is that game stuffed to the brim with boring filler

You have to go all the way to Mania (which wasn't actually developed by Sega) to get something good again

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Miexriir/status/1532033398557986817

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

You have to go all the way to Mania (which wasn't actually developed by Sega) to get something good again

it's one of those rare times where the fans seem to actually understand the core appeal of the games (cartoony, fast-moving, stage-based platforming action) better than the developers do

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

New co-worker telling me about the Kingdom Hearts saga, and me having to keep feigning ignorance

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

very creepy when the NPCs in Forza 5 start calling you by your real name even though you don't input it anywhere

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, fun way to discover Microsoft is just throwing that info around willy nilly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

very creepy when the NPCs in Forza 5 start calling you by your real name even though you don't input it anywhere

i still remember the "fun" of discovering how much microsoft was mining me for info when i made a joke about sbarros in IRC one time and almost immediately got a youtube recommendation for a video about sbarros after

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vermain posted:

it's one of those rare times where the fans seem to actually understand the core appeal of the games (cartoony, fast-moving, stage-based platforming action) better than the developers do

A set of tight 2.5D levels with super crisp Ratchet+Clank style graphics, how is this so loving hard?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Shinjobi posted:

I should have a gosh darn baby in my dang arms by this time next week. I hope that's a fun game.

:mildpanic:

Congrats! We’re expecting our second by the end of the month. It is a fun game, although the first few levels aren’t really representative of how much fun the later levels are. Enjoy parenthood!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
New Pokemon professor reminds me so drat much of Your Dad from Fallout 3 it's like he's still haunting you for the choices you made even now he's gonna start showing up in other games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just get the version with the cavewoman professor instead

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleman_ posted:

Just get the version with the cavewoman professor instead

Hahaha you considered for a second the idea that I wouldn't

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No yeah, my fate was sealed the moment I saw her because I'm extremely predictable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

to be fair sonic games are made by newer teams often doing weird experiments, which is pretty cool they get to use a big mascot like Sonic for. sure, sonic games vary wildly in quality and often are nothing like what you "want" a new sonic game to be, but hey i like theyll try all this weird stuff even though it mostly doesnt work so good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
cavewoman is cool but Arceus kind of killed the old style for me, if they're as slow as SwSh I think I'll just skip em.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They look like they're actually adopting the Arceus style for these, at least partially.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I should have a gosh darn baby in my dang arms by this time next week. I hope that's a fun game.

congratulations!!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shinjobi posted:

The early levels are cute but it gets pretty rough around midgame

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

The early levels are cute but it gets pretty rough around midgame

I'd say I prefer the midgame. Newborns are cute and all, but nothing beats coming home and playing games with my son.

Either way Shinjobi, congratulations! Enjoy the ride.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
proud to be a gaymer

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They shouldn't have made it a GaaS though, new content keeps coming out while you're still getting to grips with the mechanics they've already set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

precision posted:

proud to be a gaymer

I'm top right