Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Being armed in these cases is, as is well recognized by most of us, not necessarily going to save your life. Rather grimly the hope is it'll at least make taking your life expensive enough that the fuckers are more hesitant to go after others.

That is of course no deterrent to state actors beyond hopefully making enough noise that outside third parties step in to prevent a genocide. Unlikely if it's the US doing it, as we're all aware. :smith:

No good answers unless the levers of governmental power can be wrested away from the racist death cultists.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Here's the guy's letter, if anyone was curious. Cops really do go around looking for excuses to shoot people, don't they?

He is upset that he needed an excuse.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Being armed in these cases is, as is well recognized by most of us, not necessarily going to save your life. Rather grimly the hope is it'll at least make taking your life expensive enough that the fuckers are more hesitant to go after others.

This is literally the fantasy of being the hero with a gun again.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You've solved the brain of every poster here I'm sure you can figure out how to reach your gun control goals.

After all, those stats showing most people are onboard are from 2019 and the pro gun control party has been in charge for a while since

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I do think it is worth noting how completely disconnected from reality so much gun rhetoric is!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Liquid Communism posted:

When, in the history of the US, has the left arming up more (or killing someone on the right in self-defense) ever resulted in the right being more timid/scared/whatever and thinking twice about arming up? They double down and use these examples to say "this is why we need more guns". Then you get an arms race.

If that happens, who do you think has a better chance? The individuals with more money to buy guns/time for training/resources in general (i.e. the right/white supremacists/etc) or the side with less of those things (i.e. the left/minorities/etc)? Especially when the side with more resources will also have more sympathy by the police on their side as well.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 23, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Eh, my own opinions aside, that feels like the argument that Dems have to skew conservative to show the right wing how they're not all crazy gay commie Muslims or whatever. Regardless of what the left actually does, the police depts are going to keep gobbling up funding and military equipment anyway. They are on inertia at this point and the only people that can seriously pose a threat to law enforcement right now are right wing militias and white supremacists groups. And strangely no one has ever seen them or the cops in the same place.

Nothing leftists do or don't do with guns is going to make a single difference wrt cop gear because we already blew past the point of every small town of 5-10k people having loving MRAPS and SWAT teams armed with leftover military hardware.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Professor Beetus posted:

Eh, my own opinions aside, that feels like the argument that Dems have to skew conservative to show the right wing how they're not all crazy gay commie Muslims or whatever. Regardless of what the left actually does, the police depts are going to keep gobbling up funding and military equipment anyway. They are on inertia at this point and the only people that can seriously pose a threat to law enforcement right now are right wing militias and white supremacists groups. And strangely no one has ever seen them or the cops in the same place.

Nothing leftists do or don't do with guns is going to make a single difference wrt cop gear because we already blew past the point of every small town of 5-10k people having loving MRAPS and SWAT teams armed with leftover military hardware.

The Militias are LARPers with guns, they would get clowned if they got the same treatment any of the black liberation movements got in the last century. They only seem equal because they get kids gloved, as cops only beat on and murder people when theirs no chance of political or physical retaliation(which is why they comically reverse position when a good old boys moment reaches national stage and they might suffer political retaliation).

The armor most small towns roll around in barely qualifies as light infantry. they are not designed with the same depth as real military units.

The reality is in comparison to most real revolutions every armed force seen in the last century in the US has been TINY. The cops as typically deployed succeed because they are fighting sieges around specific events or locations against very lightly armed people who are not psychologically or materially ready to use substantial force(for how often the militias roll around with guns they almost never actually shoot people). The cops can win that fight with tear gas and rubber bullets or waiting until you run out of off brand MREs. Note how once a riot becomes generalized they quickly become totally ineffective at actually doing anything, they move to concentrate force around a strong point and call a real army, the national guard. And even this is against a largely unorganized force that mostly woke up that morning saying "I want to express my dissatisfaction" and not "I want to overthrow this system violently". The point of that armor is that a rifle in the hands of a paranoid person having a meltdown cant punch through it while they drive up to a blind angle to unload, not that they are preparing for a revolution.

The right wing militias are typically even smaller. They have less. Their biggest showing was about a division of people from across the country, and most of them were notably not truly prepared psychologically or materially to commit violence(though a substantial number were). They broke instantly when lethal force was used and the front of the mob had a reality check.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the gun control bill passed the house.

I know I shouldn't be surprised but I checked the reddit post. It usually seems pretty centrist-lefty and everyone tends to agree that the gun culture is crazy and should be restricted whenever there is a shooting in the news. But here all the most batshit arguments are in full force :stare:
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/wbhsrc/house_passes_semiautomatic_gun_ban_after_18year/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
A valuable lesson about people's words vs what they do when the words become real.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Professor Beetus posted:

MRAPS and SWAT teams armed with leftover military hardware.

Eh, half the surplus poo poo will fall apart, or they realize it's too drat expensive to maintain.

Back in 2008, I was at a small California Beach community picking up military surplus parts off a guy who is a police subcontractor. He was gaming the DRMO/Surplus system a bit to get items to his local PD which technically was legit but stuff was getting picked up that wasn't even going to be used by the PD.

They had a freaking M113 APC, 2-3 MRAPs and a few armored HMMWV's and tons of trailers and Drash tents, all sorts of stuff cramped into a small impound lot.

Which was overkill since there was NG nearby, plus a Military Base, and the size of the PD did not warrant all this hardware.

Anyways, the winds of change blew, and a new sheriff got voted in, and the first thing he said when he looked at the impound lot was what the Christ is all this poo poo?

Today the lot is empty except for a few totaled cards from DUIs, all the military stuff was given back/destroyed, or sold off. The new Sheriff came in and got rid of all the money-wasting bullshit, then rescinded the CCW's that were given out to "cop buddies" like the before-mentioned contractor.

The whole military surplus machine can use a big Audit between PD abuse and contractors "disposing of poo poo" and having that wind up on the secondary market. Oh and the road-side museums which get free poo poo which they can sell off to someone else along with the museum down the road.

I'd rather have a county have a shared bear cat or armored van, at last something that can be serviced at any Ford dealership vs a MRAP/Navistar Osh kosh thing for "free" that has the "defense contractor" Tax in maintenance.

And While I'm at it, I'd be happy if the police dumped the whole Military contractor/storm trooper look while I'm at it.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 31, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big K of Justice posted:

Eh, half the surplus poo poo will fall apart, or they realize it's too drat expensive to maintain.

Back in 2008, I was at a small California Beach community picking up military surplus parts off a guy who is a police subcontractor. He was gaming the DRMO/Surplus system a bit to get items to his local PD which technically was legit but stuff was getting picked up that wasn't even going to be used by the PD.

They had a freaking M113 APC, 2-3 MRAPs and a few armored HMMWV's and tons of trailers and Drash tents, all sorts of stuff cramped into a small impound lot.

Which was overkill since there was NG nearby, plus a Military Base, and the size of the PD did not warrant all this hardware.

Anyways, the winds of change blew, and a new sheriff got voted in, and the first thing he said when he looked at the impound lot was what the Christ is all this poo poo?

Today the lot is empty except for a few totaled cards from DUIs, all the military stuff was given back/destroyed, or sold off. The new Sheriff came in and got rid of all the money-wasting bullshit, then rescinded the CCW's that were given out to "cop buddies" like the before-mentioned contractor.

The whole military surplus machine can use a big Audit between PD abuse and contractors "disposing of poo poo" and having that wind up on the secondary market. Oh and the road-side museums which get free poo poo which they can sell off to someone else along with the museum down the road.

None of this changes that the depts a) shouldn't have them, b) have absolutely no need for them, c) having stuff like that reinforces the false idea that their jobs are that dangerous and they are "soldiers," and d) make it increasingly likely that they will feel the need to use them.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Professor Beetus posted:

None of this changes that the depts a) shouldn't have them, b) have absolutely no need for them, c) having stuff like that reinforces the false idea that their jobs are that dangerous and they are "soldiers," and d) make it increasingly likely that they will feel the need to use them.

I did an edit, but 100% agreed. All they really need is an armored van/armored car/ambulance at most. Thinking back to Rittenhouse it was infuriating to watch the podunk police there sit back in 2-3 Navistar Mraps vs a Riot, I mean what a complete waste of money and resoruces.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
What does wargaming open war with the cops have to do with reality?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

What does wargaming open war with the cops have to do with reality?

Where's the wargaming?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Where's the wargaming?

Barrel Cactuar's post in particular, and the whole discussion of whether or not the police actually maintain and know how to use the armored cars they like to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Per a post from Velocity Raptor in USCE, efforts to block the new definition rules have failed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/24/federal-ghost-gun-regulations-go-into-effect-after-judges-reject-challenges.html

quote:

New Biden administration rules that put homemade firearm kits used to build “ghost guns” in the same legal category as traditional firearms went into effect on Wednesday after federal judges declined requests to pause the change.

The regulations require that the main components used to manufacture ghost guns — the frames and receivers — be assigned serial numbers. They also require that buyers undergo background checks before purchasing the components and that dealers be federally licensed to sell the kits and keep records of sales.

The rules, which the White House announced in April, went into effect despite injunction requests from plaintiffs to stop the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from enforcing them.

In recent years, sales of ghost gun kits have caused concern for all levels of law enforcement. From the federal Justice Department to city police departments, authorities struggled to curb the proliferation of these weapons, which were increasingly being recovered at crime scenes across the country. According to the White House, there were approximately 20,000 suspected ghost gun recoveries reported to ATF last year alone.

“These guns have often been sold as build-your-own kits that contain all or almost all of the parts needed to quickly build an unmarked gun. And anyone could sell or buy these guns without a background check,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement Wednesday.

“That changes today. This rule will make it harder for criminals and other prohibited persons to obtain untraceable guns,” he said. “It will help to ensure that law enforcement officers can retrieve the information they need to solve crimes. And it will help reduce the number of untraceable firearms flooding our communities.”