Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lampsacus posted:

Isn't gun ownership so embedded in American culture that a post apocalyptic comedy forum from 2003 filled with leftists literally have a gun subforum? I've never visited it but I'm sure they have their justifications, debates and reasons for their hobby/past time. And I am sure there are some lovely posters there. But why facilitate discussion about gun ownership by gun owners? What's the incentive to endorsing such a hobby? Serious q from a not-American.

None of the boards on this site were created with the intent of endorsing anything. At some point in the past the owner and or admin decided there were enough people who wanted to discuss guns to sustain a sub board, which is also kinda inherently enough to swamp the general board. Lacking a compelling-to-them reason to just ban the subject, they created TFR.

Edit: I lost track of which tab I was in and posted this in Current Events. Reposting here in case anyone finds it interesting, illuminating, or whatever the gently caress.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

According to the all-knowing oracle the US has twice as many civilian-owned guns per capita (120.5) as the next gunniest place, which is....the Falkland Islands (62.1), apparently. Then Yemen, New Calidonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Canada (respectively, 52.8, 42.5, 39.1, 39.1, 34.7).

Nowhere else is even close to having more guns than people.

Finland is only a few percentage points behind us on percent of households with one or more firearms, with Bosnia and Herzegovina a few more points beyond that. 42, 37.9, and 34% percent, respectively.

The US has twice as many guns per capita as it did in 1968, according to the Congressional Research Service.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Professor Beetus posted:

I suppose you're correct re: mass shootings, but mass shootings are only a very small fraction of gun deaths in the United States, and there's all kinds of sources that are undoubtedly exacerbated by the existing amount of guns due to things like gun theft and straw sales. Removing guns from circulation still needs to be a part of an overall solution, imo.

e: More than 135 million dollars worth of guns were reported stolen in 2020.

Absolutely, but I don't see a path there that doesn't start with some political yak shaving. Look at measures to fight smoking: it started with regulations against targeting children, then proceeded to broader restrictions on advertising, then outright anti smoking propaganda once tobacco companies were reigned in enough they couldn't just outright stop openly hostile advertising.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mulva posted:

Why the gently caress did you take time out of your day to go to bat for people that literally could not care less if you live or die? Decorum? Boredom?

Caring about facts?

Like, I get that you're angry about the state of things and taking it out on people in this thread is about as constructive as writing a letter to your senator. But how do you type something like "I don't care if it's true" and not just cancel the post and go take a walk or jerk off or something?