Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

At a certain point talking about gun control in the United States feels a bit masturbatory. It's been almost 25 years since columbine and it's only getting worse. I'm not saying it's hopeless, but I think the question of "what" to regulate is far less important than the "how". For example, there is a large bipartisan consensus for universal background checks and yet there doesn't seem to be a way to get it passed. What mechanisms can feasibly be used to curb gun violence and how can more be created or exploited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kalit posted:

The only outcome of the NFAC protests was they ended up accidentally shooting each other

He's talking about the Black Panthers. Multiple major gun restrictions were signed into law in California as a direct result of Black Panthers showing up armed to "observe" police actions.

Edit; At least, I assume that's what the OP was referencing.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Biden just came out in favor of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPh4847Zm1A

I also want to see tracking of where guns are coming from and who is selling to whom, and mandatory insurance for gun owners to pay for bullshit their toys cause the rest of us.

Well luckily he's got a MUCH bigger plan than that!

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1322976702419636225

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It feels like people are trapped into thinking that only the electoral system can achieve change. What about ways to enact gun control that don't rely purely on electoralism? What about parallel sources of power like unions and direct action? Can those be used to pressure politicians or install their own?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Advocating for civil violence, which is exactly what you're talking about here as direct action, is just going to harden the opposition even further. And the hardcore part of the anti-gun control crowd are the same sort who made a little field trip to DC last January and have received no real consequences.

Do not even put starting a gunfight with the people who've been spoiling for a racial holy war on the table, they'll jump on the opportunity and it will end in a lot of blood. Especially given the cops are their buddies.

I dunno how you got "start a race war" from my post, but I guess I should clarify that starting a race war is probably a bad idea and I am not advocating for it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Who interprets the law, and who enforces it are as important as the actual text.

This is such an incredibly important part of the discussion I'm surprised it never gets mentioned. The fact that the law is largely enforced by white supremacists (cops) must be taken into account when talking about gun control.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I thought the NRA filed for bankruptcy to dodge a lawsuit in New York? And, like Trump, have filed for bankruptcy multiple times?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

as long as it applies to cops equally.

The entire status of "cop" entails "above the law".

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

You seem to be doing the futility schtick again.

????

Who are you talking to?

What is "the futility schtick"?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qsYcXEoIyo

Saw an interesting take that tries to analyze masse shootings through a social and Freudian lens. The TLDR is that while gun control is an important component, it's only half the equation. The other half is the way our society raises children in an atomized society, especially boys. The one assertion which IMO she got wrong is that this violence is a result of bullied children lashing out, but other than that I think there's a lot of interesting stuff for discussion.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 1, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The thing is, though, that while there are many many factors, none of them are unique to the US except ease of access to firearms. I guess you could argue that the specific combination and ratio of factors is unique to the US but it's just a cop-out. Of course we should also address all the factors that contribute to this, but downplaying the role our gun culture plays is just appeasement.

The problem is that there are other countries with plenty of access to firearms, and yet America remains basically the only one with a mass shooting problem. Sure, getting rid of the guns would solve the problem purely because it destroys the medium by which the violence is expressed, but the violence remains under the surface and finds other ways to come out. Even if the civilian population were to have those guns taken away, lot of those would-be psychos will simply seek positions of power where they can be violent assholes without fear of reprisal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kalit posted:

I suggest you look at https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/4/9850572/gun-control-us-japan-switzerland-uk-canada to look at the difference of our gun control laws vs other countries. Even though Switzerland is one of the less restrictive countries for guns outside of the US, they still have requirements such as (for handguns):

IMO none of these regulations would have prevented Uvalde. He didnt use a handgun, and if the restrictions were similar for rifles then the kid would have just grabbed his fathers guns and done the same thing.

Which raises the important question of "why isn't any other country having a similar epidemic?" which i think that video does a good job trying to explain.