Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
We have interventions that work to reduce violent behavior. But we only use them after someone has entered the criminal system. If we had a way to use the risk factors that we know lead to violence to identify people who are likely shooters, and intervene outside the criminal system, there would be a realistic possibility of preventing a lot of shootings in my opinion.

ideally we would have sensible gun control but a program like this would still be useful even if we had sane gun laws in the US. Given the high support for mental health funding cited earlier it might be an approach worth considering.

The fact that we as a society consider violence solely as a moral issue, rather than a sociological and psychological phenomenon, puts us in a permanently reactive position. I think our current situation makes clear that we certainly can't punish our way out of this problem.

What if you could get appropriate therapy, medication, and other treatment for violent behavior the same way you get treatment for anxiety or depression? I don't get why this is such a mind blowing idea inside of psychology but it still is, and it would take some doing. But it might be worth looking into while we pursue the long-term project of gun reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU