Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mulva posted:

I mean the reality is that political will to enact gun control never meaningfully developed in this country. What's the big win people point to, the AWB? It's the single greatest loss the gun control platform ever took, because it radically encouraged the gun community to come together and fight for their rights. With the AWB everyone pat themselves on the back and moved on, but the other side of the argument turned into a loving monster. People talk about poo poo like ghost guns and bump stocks, but they never actually consider them as physical things that people have. Do you know how stupid and useless a bump stock is? People sometimes call the full auto setting on a gun the giggle switch, because it's fun to just go brrrrr and dump a magazine......once or twice. Then you realize it's actually kind of expensive to be constantly spending money dumping mags for no real purpose, and a lot of folks don't have that much money to go around. So why the hell did so many people buy a bump stock when they were a thing?

Because gently caress the ATF. That's why. The government made it tedious to get a full auto gun, so people do whatever they can to legally get something like fully automatic fire. Will most people that got one have used it once and never again, or maybe twice a year with friends? Yep. Still got one, gently caress the ATF. Most 'ghost guns' are just lovely frames you put completely generic Glock slides or AR-15 uppers on, entirely unworthy of time and money spent getting one. Why do it? gently caress the ATF. There are people who couldn't give less of a poo poo about guns that taught themselves electrochemical rifling to 100% make a gun on their own, just to say gently caress you to the government. To make the point you will literally never stop me from having a gun if I want one, because I can make one by myself. gently caress anyone that tries to constrain my rights, real or imagined.

And that is a minority of gun owners, but it's the most dedicated and motivated section. And frankly there isn't an equivalent in the gun control side. And not only is the energy level wildly unbalanced between the two positions, one side is running on nothing. There's been no real meaningful gun control since the AWB, but the level of fervor on the more pro-gun side of the argument still goes strong. They are still pushing the limits, fighting any vague law that could constrain them. Conversely a mass grave of dead children hasn't meaningfully pushed the needle in favor of gun control actually happening.

I imagine in 7 years nothing will have been done by the gun control community, but someone will have made a package on how to spend 3k on various 3D printers and chemical tools on how to make literally every single part of a gun, including bullets and primers, at your home completely automated. Maybe 2K, depending on how prices fall. You can kind of do it now but it's not entirely automated, so it's not available to anyone. Just anyone willing to put in the effort. The elimination of "Put in the effort" is coming, and will really crack that open.

That's when I'm calling the death of gun control in America, when the gun community has so lapped the gun control side that it's actively made getting a gun as easy as pushing a button, and has done so purely out of spite. Even though they will have never faced meaningful legislation or push back, even though they'll have won most every meaningful fight they ever got in, they will push the limits as far as is possible to make sure that gun control never, ever, ever has a chance. No matter what.

If we lived in the time of a theoretical new assault weapons ban, how many people do you really think are going to go through the hassle of actually building a gun from scratch? Even with how easy it would be with 3D printers. How many 18 year olds that want to shoot up a school will have the money to buy all that 3D printing poo poo to build a gun? Yes of course there's going to be some people doing it, but if the only way to get an assault weapon is literally build it (illegally I might add) versus just going to the neighborhood gun store down the street that alone is going to stop 99% from getting a gun.

And to go back to the illegal part. Most people don't want to be on the wrong side of the law. Even fervent gun nuts that talk a big game about how they will keep their guns even if they get banned like most things they say they are full of poo poo. A felony conviction that you can never get rid of is too big of a risk for most people.

My point is of course you're not going to solve the problem 100%. But you're acting like it's not worth doing even if it makes a serious dent in the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

The federal red flag laws are being expanded to add people convicted of domestic abuse who are in "a relationship between individuals who have or have recently had a continuing serious relationship of a romantic or intimate nature," specifically excluding "a casual acquaintanceship or ordinary fraternization in a business or social context". Looks like covering stalkers or people under ROs is out. States have temporary funding to set up their own programs.

There's also a massive overhaul to how FFLs work and idk if I'm really qualified to explain what's changed.

"6/ The bill clarifies who needs to register as a federal firearms dealer, to make sure that every true commercial gun seller is conducting background checks. This provision could get thousands of additional guns sales into the background check system."

Not quite sure what that means either but it might mean that the "gunshow loophole" is finally getting closed.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

PeterCat posted:

I've been assured that a legally armed citizen can't stop a shooting, but there it is.

https://mynews4.com/news/nation-wor...jTkI4XyUetrBC6A

It does happen but it's exceedingly rare. For every instance that it happens there's probably 100 instances of someones kid finding their gun and blowing their head off by accident.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

What was that about Denmark again?

At least 60 shots were fired, 6 dead and 24-30 injured. I think the main difference with Denmark is that they are going to find out why he was allowed to own a (bolt-action) rifle and fix the issue or loophole so that it doesn't happen.

I did a quick lookup on Denmark gun laws in Wikipedia. Apparently it's not the hardest thing in the world to legally own a bolt action rifle there. I mean it's light-years more difficult than in the US but that's not saying much. Semi auto rifles on the other hand, that's nearly impossible and handguns are difficult but not impossible to legally own.