Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

The reality of gun ownership is you make yourself less safe by owning one, while claiming it's going to make you more safe.

Correct.

I'm guessing I've been in a lot more dangerous scenarios than most goons. I worked security at a bar. I've had a gun drawn on me, knives drawn on me, groups of of men all threatening to beat me up because I wouldn't let them in after last call. I've been in straight up bar brawls. Me having a fire arm would not have helped any of those situation. You know what did? my training in de-escalation work and martial arts training, and being the sober one against drunk/high assholes. The bar put me on the door because I was good at calming people down. Of the hundred plus incidents that could have easily turned into a fight, only a handful turned into one when I was the first one dealing with somebody hostile. Most of the those scenarios I just mentioned? It was other security (usually armed) that went in aggressive and then we had to deal with the situation. Those other security were wanna be cops, and former military.

Guns also make the "good guys" feel way, way more confident than they should. The truth of fights, and gun fights, and any of those sort of situations is that luck has a much, much higher factor on who wins than most people are willing to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU