Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
"Gun control to Major Tom...."

Sorry, had to do it. I do think the only thing that can possibly even start to put a dent back in things is a combination of a buyback like Eric Sewell proposed and promises to disarm the police in transitionary stages. It feels to me very hard to discuss this topic without also talking about the military-industrial complex that frequently doubles as a domestic weapons manufacturer as well as the militarization of the police. The peripheral regulations will eventually be circumvented or even overruled if they ever get onto the floor at all. I still think that radical rethinking of an America worldwide and local still has to be reckoned with, but any attempt at gun control that also doesn't try to draw back the police power is always going to leave many communities that would be very easy allies leery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Tell me how what you want improves my life. Because the pro gun people are doing that all the time. That's their only argument. "Guns are fun, freedom is fun, laws are stupid." They're not quoting a bunch of dead euros.

I think it's less a matter of "fun" and more a matter of "fear," and many hopes lie that people will become more afraid of gunmen than lacking the capacity to defend themselves equivalently, but that hasn't happened yet. People keep pointing to the NRA, but the desire for armament doesn't reside fully because of them. That's hypodermic needle theory to the max, and ignores this is an unstable country that had a riot on election day and throughout the summer just two years ago. People felt afraid over Covid restrictions (dumb, but there it is), people feel afraid on both sides of the trans debate (one legitimately, one dumb but there it is), etc. Thinking meaningful gun reform can happen without an effort to stabilize the country is folly. If that's construed as a futility argument, then they're not reading well, so let me be clear: Gun reform is possible, but it has to be under the umbrella of a more ambitious program.