Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Freakazoid_ posted:

We will never have adequate gun control until we can change or eliminate the second amendment.

Does it need to be changed ?.

Just apply the "as part of a well regulated militia" section. Weapons & ammo stored in the militia's armoury, militia has to pass stringent checks to be classed as well regulated. Well regulated should mean accountable and responsible for checking members suitability for firearm access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Jumping in with a slightly different topic,

Is there any data on gun confiscation in modern history? I know even bringing it up gets people all worked up but I'm seriously looking for something beyond the generalize response of "It's impossible. Too many guns. Cops will refuse to do it. It'd start a civil war!". Like, how many troops would it literally take to search everyone's home? Or even a majority of homes? And before anyone jumps in and say that alienate half the Country remember that Republicans only represent something like a quarter and even less are armed.

The reason I'm asking is because this time to me at least genuinely feels different. It's hard to describe, I don't know why it's now but I feel like Gun Control isn't an issue that's going go away like it did with Parkland. And these events are occurring so frequently that it's going to start having an economic impact - people will stop going to school, events, concerts, malls, etc. if they don't feel safe.

When the UK got rid of a lot of guns there was a campaign advertising the incoming laws, regulations for storage and legal penalties along with a series of firearm amnesties where you go and drop them off prosecution free even after the laws changed. The amnesties went on for years afterwards periodically.

I can't remember any drama/protest/violence attached to it and we still have gun clubs and private ownership if you have secure storage and can get a license. The public view was generally thank gently caress for that after the Dunblane massacre triggered the changes. A school shooting in 1996 with 17 killed 15 injured.

No mass shootings involving handguns since. Shotguns spree's have happened since but are just not as deadly as it's all over and under or side by side not pump action.

Legal rifle owners (farmers, pest control, competition/club shooters) haven't proven to be a problem possibly due to strict checks to get one.