Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Close the "gun show loophole" by opening NICS to the public and requiring a check for all transfers. Opening up NICS requires no legislation and basically no additional funding.

Institute a handgun license similar to an FFL03.

Those two steps basically strangle the pipeline that like 99% of crime guns go through.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think the question of "what" to regulate is far less important than the "how".
Publicly arm a bunch of Black people.

It worked in CA to produce some of the strictest gun laws on the country passed by none other than Republican Jesus himself.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

A fantastic example of why gun control doesn't happen. The entire purpose of this incredibly high effort post was to feel smart, and have other posters tell you how smart you are. If you're quoting loving Hirschman and von Hayek you are so far off base that you probably had to call an Uber to get there. This kind of masturbatory argument feels good to you, but convinces nobody.

Tell me how what you want improves my life. Because the pro gun people are doing that all the time. That's their only argument. "Guns are fun, freedom is fun, laws are stupid." They're not quoting a bunch of dead euros.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Blaming the public for being insufficiently concerned with Doing the Good Thing after the Democrats colluded to implode the economy is a cop out. Congress does plenty of things the public doesn't give a poo poo about.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

managing what is achievable given current priorities among the electorate is an important part of a democracy, turns out. this is true whether or not it makes you unhappy
Yeah remember when there was a huge bipartisan effort to bail out banks, hedge funds, and insurance companies? That was the result of a massive upswell of public support for Lehman Brothers right?

Public opinion has effectively zero effect on policy.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

The American public continues to disappoint me and that's only making me want guns more.

This issue might be problematic.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

It's worth noting that gun control laws do pass. Not necessarily at the national level, but states have been more active on gun laws. Even red states!

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1532775413084303360

There's been ballot propositions and such too. The lack of action at the national level is regrettable, but Congress sandbags on pretty much everything. State and local governments, at the very least, are taking things more seriously and finding fewer obstacles to action.
Worth noting that Florida, a state run by a guy trying to out-Trump Donald Trump, and a legislature full of insane gun-loving bible freaks, passed more gun control than a Democrat majority Congress.

On a national scale gun control proponents are worse at gun control than Ron loving DeSantis. Which should make anyone question either their competence or their sincerity if not both.

Probably Magic posted:

I think it's less a matter of "fun" and more a matter of "fear," and many hopes lie that people will become more afraid of gunmen than lacking the capacity to defend themselves equivalently, but that hasn't happened yet. People keep pointing to the NRA, but the desire for armament doesn't reside fully because of them. That's hypodermic needle theory to the max, and ignores this is an unstable country that had a riot on election day and throughout the summer just two years ago. People felt afraid over Covid restrictions (dumb, but there it is), people feel afraid on both sides of the trans debate (one legitimately, one dumb but there it is), etc. Thinking meaningful gun reform can happen without an effort to stabilize the country is folly. If that's construed as a futility argument, then they're not reading well, so let me be clear: Gun reform is possible, but it has to be under the umbrella of a more ambitious program.
A much better version of what I was getting at, thanks.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

-Blackadder- posted:

Or it would suggest that National and State level politics, while analogous in various ways, also have some fundamental differences? There has to be some impetus for what's occurring, some reason for the disparity, and "national politicians are just randomly dumber and more dishonest than state politicians" doesn't actually explain it.
What part of national government do you suppose is the problem that makes national level Democrats less effective at advancing Democrat policy than Florida Republicans?

Edit: And why does this issue of national government seem so much less of a hurdle to Republican lawmakers who have generally been very effective at advancing their policy?

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 4, 2022