Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Professor Beetus posted:

MRAPS and SWAT teams armed with leftover military hardware.

Eh, half the surplus poo poo will fall apart, or they realize it's too drat expensive to maintain.

Back in 2008, I was at a small California Beach community picking up military surplus parts off a guy who is a police subcontractor. He was gaming the DRMO/Surplus system a bit to get items to his local PD which technically was legit but stuff was getting picked up that wasn't even going to be used by the PD.

They had a freaking M113 APC, 2-3 MRAPs and a few armored HMMWV's and tons of trailers and Drash tents, all sorts of stuff cramped into a small impound lot.

Which was overkill since there was NG nearby, plus a Military Base, and the size of the PD did not warrant all this hardware.

Anyways, the winds of change blew, and a new sheriff got voted in, and the first thing he said when he looked at the impound lot was what the Christ is all this poo poo?

Today the lot is empty except for a few totaled cards from DUIs, all the military stuff was given back/destroyed, or sold off. The new Sheriff came in and got rid of all the money-wasting bullshit, then rescinded the CCW's that were given out to "cop buddies" like the before-mentioned contractor.

The whole military surplus machine can use a big Audit between PD abuse and contractors "disposing of poo poo" and having that wind up on the secondary market. Oh and the road-side museums which get free poo poo which they can sell off to someone else along with the museum down the road.

I'd rather have a county have a shared bear cat or armored van, at last something that can be serviced at any Ford dealership vs a MRAP/Navistar Osh kosh thing for "free" that has the "defense contractor" Tax in maintenance.

And While I'm at it, I'd be happy if the police dumped the whole Military contractor/storm trooper look while I'm at it.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Professor Beetus posted:

None of this changes that the depts a) shouldn't have them, b) have absolutely no need for them, c) having stuff like that reinforces the false idea that their jobs are that dangerous and they are "soldiers," and d) make it increasingly likely that they will feel the need to use them.

I did an edit, but 100% agreed. All they really need is an armored van/armored car/ambulance at most. Thinking back to Rittenhouse it was infuriating to watch the podunk police there sit back in 2-3 Navistar Mraps vs a Riot, I mean what a complete waste of money and resoruces.