Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

roundabouts sharply reduce the number of accident and level of congestion. why don’t we build more roundabouts? why be stuck at a red light when you could be gliding around a circle like a swan in a lake? what’s stopping us from progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Roundabouts very good but cars also bad

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

now THIS is what i call infrastructure

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Depends which way you round OP.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Roundabouts are OK, cars are good and non-American motorcycles are even better.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's a town nearby that has a lot of semis go through and installed a big boy roundabout. Everybody complained until the mayor was like, "WE HAD TO DO IT, EVERYONE DIES AT THAT INTERSECTION."

Everyone shut up about the roundabout after that.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

huge fan of when some dumb idiot stops in the roundabout to yield to traffic waiting to go into the roundabout

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
They're called circles here OP. My town has like 8 of 'em and I am used to them but don't love them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

numberoneposter posted:

huge fan of when some dumb idiot stops in the roundabout to yield to traffic waiting to go into the roundabout

Or when someone gets confused and turns left to enter.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

numberoneposter posted:

:honk:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

roads should only go in straight lines and have no intersections.

if you need to change roads, you pull off to the side and an interstitial ferry comes along every half hour to transport your vehicle to another straight, non-intersecting road in the new direction you want to go.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I just drive through the center of the roundabout. gently caress em. Why do you think I got a truck?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I just drive through the center of the roundabout. gently caress em. Why do you think I got a truck?

Roundabouts are awesome if used as God intended. You don't even need a truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3sbNQ1Qt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti18aRKbO10

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPCLFtxpadE

I'm a fan

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
they turned a few normal intersections around the block into roundabouts and I'm not a fan. they were already pretty tight turns, and now with the island in the middle anything larger than a subcompact has to drift into the crosswalk a bit just to get around it. it's not a problem for me driving because I have a korean clown car, but as a pedestrian it makes me very nervous crossing as I'm almost guaranteed to come within inches of being side-swiped. the whole loving hood is being weaponized against me and it's pissing me off!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

kntfkr posted:

They're called circles here OP. My town has like 8 of 'em and I am used to them but don't love them.

roundabouts are a type of traffic circle that uses yield rules

traffic circles can have lights or nothing at all and are usually much larger

you havent truly driven unless youve navigated through chaotic traffic circles in Tijuana

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
When I lived in Florida I moved into a newly built housing complex that had a roundabout at the entrance to be ~fancy~ or whatever. It had 3 roads branching off it which all had stops signs approaching the roundabout except for the one direction that lead to the main road. In the center of the roundabout was a small pond.

At least once a month and sometimes more often someone would drive straight into the pond.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Roundabouts are great but it relies on the population not being complete morons.

This works great in areas like Seattle, but they just implemented a bunch near Boise and those are the dumbest people alive and have no basic understanding of how anything works.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
LIBERALS are going to take away YOUR stop signs and FORCE roundabouts DOWN YOUR THROAT!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

roundabout are hot i want to drive around and around them admiring them and if they wanted to piss in my mouth that'd be okay too

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
To be clear it was awesome and hilarious. Nothing like laughing like a banshee while I zoom around a morose idiot staring at their now floating civic.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Animal-Mother posted:

LIBERALS are going to take away YOUR stop signs and FORCE roundabouts DOWN YOUR THROAT!
-An actual unironic opinion in the United States

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tristesse posted:

To be clear it was awesome and hilarious. Nothing like laughing like a banshee while I zoom around a morose idiot staring at their now floating civic.

what a freak lol

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Roundabout pros: never have to wait for a light

Cons: changing lanes in a crowded roundabout is stressful because you're dealing with all the stress of traffic plus controlling a turn.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I like roundabouts but there are some places I've been that completely defeat the purpose. Namely Portland, OR. Every other roundabout I came to had a stop sign.
If you're going to put a stop sign at a four way roundabout, just make it a standard four way intersection with stop signs or lights.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

roundabouts sharply reduce the number of accident and level of congestion. why don’t we build more roundabouts? why be stuck at a red light when you could be gliding around a circle like a swan in a lake? what’s stopping us from progress

roundabouts are good and becoming increasingly common in the united states

the main obstacle is that it is difficult to put a roundabout in an existing four way intersection. as intersections go roundabouts take up a bit more land area, which means if you don't have an existing right of way you have to eminent domain it, which is a lengthy and expensive process

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

roundabout are hot i want to drive around and around them admiring them and if they wanted to piss in my mouth that'd be okay too
what if we stealth camped in the roundabout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPDvLaXuSHQ

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Or when someone gets confused and turns left to enter.

Where the hell are people doing this

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure most Americans don't know what "yield" means. They just think it means "slow." So roundabouts are kind of a problem for us.

Best of both worlds is an intersection with dedicated curved right turn lanes that don't require you to stop.

Big Beef City posted:

Where the hell are people doing this

The UK :v:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shartagouts

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

they dont tell you this in traffic school but if you just leave your four way blinkers on you can do whatever you want

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
they're OK? what a weird question

good luck putting them on all the gridded intersections in pretty much every city in America though, would be nice if it happened. Though I do have faith our civil engineers will move forward appropriately, they only have the best interests of the public in mind!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ban cars give everyone government issued 50cc scooters

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Like many things, the biggest issue with implementing this in America is all the Americans.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

numberoneposter posted:

now THIS is what i call infrastructure

Got to love all those tiny rear end towns with gently caress huge main streets the size of freeways.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

in my country rounadbouts are the norm. the town i grew up in only had like maybe three junctions that used traffic lights.

roundabouts let traffic flow way better, and also you don't get idiots t-boning each other at 100mph.

i vote YES to roundabouts

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Roundabouts are sweet because they let you do sick drifts without looking for an empty parking lot or someplace like that (where nobody can see your sick drifts).

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
how fast can you go through one without slowing down?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good if you are not a child op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bad Purchase posted:

roads should only go in straight lines and have no intersections.

if you need to change roads, you pull off to the side and an interstitial ferry comes along every half hour to transport your vehicle to another straight, non-intersecting road in the new direction you want to go.

Wow great idea Elon, thanks for the input buddy :thumbsup: