Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if we put roundabouts... Underground!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
They are great once everyone gets past the learning curve and stops cutting people off or doing dumb poo poo. Even if you get hit you aren’t dead like from someone running a 4 way stop on a country road

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Colonel Cancer posted:

What if we put roundabouts... Underground!?!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I call em drivearounds or squeeliewheelies

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Wow great idea Elon, thanks for the input buddy :thumbsup:

laugh all you want, but i'll be the first to market with fully automated driving once all roads are straight and have no intersections

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cUwVLx8K9s

another great classic roundabout

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My little town outside of Cincinnati is nothing but roundabouts. They are pretty nice.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Meme Poker Party posted:

Like many things, the biggest issue with implementing this in America is all the Americans.

People say this and then they put a poo poo load of them into rural Wisconsin and as soon as they went in people went "Alright cool" and there was never an issue. So basically what you're saying is horse poo poo again.

At least HERE a lot of the pushback came from two sources, each of which has at least some merit, but none with nearly enough to 'stop the implementation' as you put it.:

A.) Many of the intersections that were targetted for installations had been recently renovated or were already on the docket to BE renovated, and so it appeared (at least to outsiders, and you can imagine why) that it was simply doubleing-up or more of tax funds just to rip out these already paid for intersections or ones that were at least theoretically budgeted.

and

B.) Property owners on the adjoining land who would lose frontage or acreage due to the larger size of the intersections taking up more of their property and thus being 'eye-sores'.

There wasn't ever any valid complaint that "Hell they're gonna kill more drivers than they save you fools" or "There's no way I can ever figure out how to get my vehicle through one of these and will surely perish".

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I call em drivearounds or squeeliewheelies

ah, a british person

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

They're good, but also a sure sign of creeping british imperialism.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Single lane roundabouts are great but my old town had a 2-lane one and despite all the signs and it not even being that busy people still managed to get scared and gently caress it up and getting into accidents.

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

Always signal to leave

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Single lane roundabouts are great but my old town had a 2-lane one and despite all the signs and it not even being that busy people still managed to get scared and gently caress it up and getting into accidents.

at least they are less harmful, low speed rear ending or sideswiping is preferable to the high speed tbones we're trying to avoid with roundabouts. a typical 4 way intersection is most deadly when someone is trying to turn left and fucks up and gets nailed by high speed oncoming traffic

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a 2 lane roundabout at the shopping center near the interstate with a tiny bike lane in the middle is what we have in my town

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Have you guys noticed people have now just decided stop signs are optional? Seems way worse now than before Covid. Maybe people realized there just isn't anyone to enforce it. I see people running stops constantly in neighborhoods when I walk the dog. It's crazy.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

numberoneposter posted:

Have you guys noticed people have now just decided stop signs are optional? Seems way worse now than before Covid. Maybe people realized there just isn't anyone to enforce it. I see people running stops constantly in neighborhoods when I walk the dog. It's crazy.

I ain't lettin the gubbrmint tell me what to do. Freedom.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

ban cars give everyone government issued 50cc scooters E-Bikes

ftfy

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

numberoneposter posted:

Yes. Also all their other driving skills went to poo poo over the last two years too

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

in my state theres no laws about who is supposed to have the right of way in the roundabout, it's just up to "the prevailing traffic flow" or something

idk if this is true but i heard it once.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

in my state theres no laws about who is supposed to have the right of way in the roundabout, it's just up to "the prevailing traffic flow" or something

idk if this is true but i heard it once.

that's crazy if true lol

cars on the roundabout have right of way is like the only rule needed for a roundabout to work.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

Yeah everyone sucks rear end at driving now

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Roundabouts are OK, cars are good and non-American motorcycles are even better.

Roundabouts on a good motorcycle when there's zero traffic are fun as gently caress.

Roundabouts when there's even moderate traffic are terrible because everyone is loving stupid and can't figure out what to do without a great big flashing light telling them when to stop and go.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Just driving in a roundabout.

What?

What's that up there?

Another roundabout?! Wtf!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've noticed a trend in some reworked streets in housing developments lately where they take out the stop signs and put in the world's tiniest roundabouts. like, just a 4 foot circumference cement block in the center of the road so you just barely have to swerve around it. if you stay far enough over to the right you could probably just drive straight through without even turning the wheel.

i don't really get how those are supposed to prevent an accident any more than a completely uncontrolled 4 way intersection, and really the only reason they aren't deadly is because most people are only driving 25 mph and can easily see any cross-traffic coming.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Roundabouts are good because they make people think about what they are doing, which makes them safer. They are unpopular for the same reason

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Mountains come out of the sky and they just...

They just STAND THERE

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Saalkin posted:

Just driving in a roundabout.

What?

What's that up there?

Another roundabout?! Wtf!

Can't talk about roundabouts within roundabouts without mentioning "the magic roundabout" in Swindon, UK. Surprised it hasn't been posted already in this thread actually.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Loitering mountains are what's screwing everything up is what I'm saying

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My city’s traffic engineers came up with the ingenious idea of creating a two lane roundabout where either lane could go around or turn out of the circle in any of the four directions. Now I’ll willing to bet that you, the humble reader, unschooled in the science of traffic control realized in seconds what the problem with this scenario is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

i've noticed a trend in some reworked streets in housing developments lately where they take out the stop signs and put in the world's tiniest roundabouts. like, just a 4 foot circumference cement block in the center of the road so you just barely have to swerve around it. if you stay far enough over to the right you could probably just drive straight through without even turning the wheel.

i don't really get how those are supposed to prevent an accident any more than a completely uncontrolled 4 way intersection, and really the only reason they aren't deadly is because most people are only driving 25 mph and can easily see any cross-traffic coming.

These are good actually, massively better than 4-way stops (which are the worst). You could drive right through (depending on the exact size) but I see it as a benefit, because as long as you can clearly see that there's no traffic from the left, it's perfectly fine to blast through at full speed.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

mobby_6kl posted:

These are good actually, massively better than 4-way stops (which are the worst). You could drive right through (depending on the exact size) but I see it as a benefit, because as long as you can clearly see that there's no traffic from the left, it's perfectly fine to blast through at full speed.

mini roundabouts are amazing, especially when there's three roads that would otherwise be a forked junction. like this

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

but why even put the tiny concrete in the middle when you don’t even drive around it? just as a visual indicator?

i agree it’s better than a 4 way stop for low traffic areas with good visibility, but they could just take out the stop signs out and not bother installing the tiny round slab.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Bad Purchase posted:

but why even put the tiny concrete in the middle when you don’t even drive around it? just as a visual indicator?

i agree it’s better than a 4 way stop for low traffic areas with good visibility, but they could just take out the stop signs out and not bother installing the tiny round slab.

I dunno, most of them in the UK don't have a concrete bit. They're usually just slightly raised white painted circles, like this:

They're usually in low traffic areas that are 30 or 20mph limits, so even the ones that do have something in the middle it's still quicker to whip round the mini roundabout than it would be to slow down and roll through a regular junction (our junctions very rarely have stop signs here too)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Can't talk about roundabouts within roundabouts without mentioning "the magic roundabout" in Swindon, UK. Surprised it hasn't been posted already in this thread actually.

this is the good poo poo

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
They're no turbine or stack interchange i'll tell you what OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITr127KZtQ

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ultrafilter posted:

Or when someone gets confused and turns left to enter.

This pisses me the gently caress off when someone decides to shortcut through a roundabout by simply turning left instead of going the "long way around" in the teeny residential roundabouts we have littered throughout Seattle. It's intentional too, not a mistake, gotta save those 3 seconds

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

They redid some intersections with a few roundabouts in random spots around town about ten-fifteen years ago and they are nice to have. A lot of the older neighborhoods in city limits also have little islands in each intersection that follow roundabout rules, but with stop signs at each corner. It’s kind of dumb in narrow residential streets when you’re making a left with little to no traffic present, but whatever.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

We also have “Michigan lefts” at some major intersections in which you drive through the intersection and make a U-turn right on the other side of said intersection in order to make a left turn. I didn’t like them at first, but now I think they’re a great idea because I get less anxiety and stress going through an intersection knowing there’s not some idiot that’ll make a turn in front of me without seeing me coming. They also severely reduced the number of crashes at each intersection that has them.

Doesn’t stop dumbfucks that don’t know what they are from trying to make a left at the intersection with bigass explicit signage flashing “NO LEFT TURNS.”

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

this is a much higher-level roundabout than we're prepared for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

This would destroy the United States

(well slightly faster than we’re already destroying ourselves)