Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Saalkin posted:

Just driving in a roundabout.

What?

What's that up there?

Another roundabout?! Wtf!

Here's...a couple near a hwy somewhat near me. You can see a few in this shot.

Here's one of the next exits up the road, just a couple more there...

So, we've got a...few of them in my neck of the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Big Beef City posted:

I don't mean to alarm you but there seems to be a HAUNTED HOUSE nearby. :ohdear:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

I don't mean to alarm you but there seems to be a HAUNTED HOUSE nearby. :ohdear:

yea ghosts love roundabouts

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

yea ghosts love roundabouts

That’s where many new ghosts are made

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I worked in a coffee shop outside of a roundabout for a few years and there were quite a few occasions where someone would end up driving backwards around it and that was an interesting occurrence to watch.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My theory is that roundabouts are only safer when they're new. In a year or two people will stop going slowly through them and drive with ignorant confidence, making it worse than a traffic light.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Big fan of roundabouts, driving on roundabouts, looking at roundabouts, talking about roundabouts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyufxcEQPGc

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Cons: changing lanes in a crowded roundabout is stressful because you're dealing with all the stress of traffic plus controlling a turn.

When you do what?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The only few I've used are on congested MA roads so I'm way more anxious about them than lights. Due to that, I would lean against them.

However, a few weeks ago after picking my son up from school, I was at a light that turned green. AsI lifted my foot off the break, a car that had several seconds of red light just loving barrelled through. If we're going to see more driving asshattery like that, bring on the roundabouts.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Grem posted:

My theory is that roundabouts are only safer when they're new. In a year or two people will stop going slowly through them and drive with ignorant confidence, making it worse than a traffic light.

So you're stupid, then?

CozyFella
Feb 1, 2022

I don't have anything of value to add to this conversation.
But I don't care.
Roundabouts, great. US driver understanding of roundabouts, terrible.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CozyFella posted:

Roundabouts, great. US driver understanding of roundabouts, terrible.

Actually roundabouts are dreadful things yet America soldiers on despite them.
Frankly we're better than the rest of the world combined despite not even wanting them just to once again prove we're better

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Fabulousity posted:

Roundabouts are awesome if used as God intended. You don't even need a truck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3sbNQ1Qt4

I’m confused about the design of this one. It looks like a normal intersection that they modified into a roundabout by just putting an island in the middle? It even has “stop” written on the road coming up to it. Guessing it’s the location of multiple accidents and this was a solution to slow traffic down or turn drunk drivers into flying missiles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Well yeah, you put an island in the middle of an X type intersection and you've got the basic roundabout. Normally you'd have Yield instead of Stop signs though.

Big fan of roundabouts, as I mentioned. Now there are some exceptions.

One, is when there are too loving many roundabounts, one after another. I've ran into places where you have like 3-4 roundabouts stuck together in a row so if you're going straight through, you have to go through every one of them. Especially when it's clear that one direction has by far the most traffic and should've been just the priority road. Same when they just put one is for no reason or as a "traffic calming" thing.

They put this one in in the middle of a 7km long strech of road that you can (could) drive through without stopping. There's just an industrial area to the north that sees very little traffic to the point they had to make a bypass lane to keep it from getting ridiculously backed up, but even then at rush hours there's now congestion here because you have to be ready to yield to any car on the roundabout even though 99% of them are going straight through.

Then when it's it's unclear or ambiguous. Ran into one of the few that apparently exist in the US near Boston:

How many lanes are there? Which ones can you use to exist/continue? Of course you'll figure it out after a few passes in practice, but really it should be designed such that you don't have to guess how to behave in an unfamiliar area.

Then they can also throw different types at you without indicating which one is it in advance. Some of these are "turbo" roundabouts where you're locked into a direction based on the lane you approach in.

There there's some bastardized version of the turbo roundabout with just one entry lane where, if you're doing 180, you have to make 3-4 lane changes. I don't know what they're called so had to photoshop it:

Sometimes you exit only from the outer lane. Sometimes you have to exit from the outer lane. Sometimes there's an extra exit lane. Sometimes there are different designs for the different exits on the same roundabout

And yeah sometimes there's a tram going straight through it.

They're all easy of couse but very annoying when you don't know how exactly this one is supposed to work.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 3, 2022

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

they work pretty good in Cities:Skylines

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
What if, let's say, instead of the cars going around in the roundabout, the roundabout goes around the cars? I'm sure the propeller heads over at the DMV can make it happen, get crackin :krakken:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The Powder House rotary in Somerville MA has a red light in the middle of it lmao

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This would destroy the United States

(well slightly faster than we’re already destroying ourselves)

I don't see the problem with that

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Chinatown posted:

roundabouts are a type of traffic circle that uses yield rules

traffic circles can have lights or nothing at all and are usually much larger

you havent truly driven unless youve navigated through chaotic traffic circles in Tijuana

My town has two of these! They also don't have lane markings because they're "plaza"-type arrangements apparently. Depending on traffic, people will form between 2 and five lanes of cars in them.

Fun fact is that they're specifically not roundabouts, which means that traffic coming from the right has priority just as in any other unmarked road. This isn't usually a problem because inflow is controlled by stoplight, but it still catches the odd out-of-towner and foreigner off guard.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Workin my way ‘round a butt rn

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

What if, let's say, instead of the cars going around in the roundabout, the roundabout goes around the cars? I'm sure the propeller heads over at the DMV can make it happen, get crackin :krakken:

Noooo... The...infamous...Torafikku Rasen..!!
It...cannot be...!!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:yeshaha:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I'm a big fan of any traffic device that, if you blast straight through it as if you were running a stop sign, it absolutely totally wrecks your poo poo.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNOJ0R6C88Q

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rare footage of Lowtax’s final moments

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Roundabouts good, using roundabouts for highway exits and onramps bad.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Personally I struggle with them because the vision in my left eye is getting limited, but that's my own deal (and why I'm moving to a city with public transportation soon). We've got 7 roundabouts down the highway between my home and work, lots of bedroom neighborhoods feeding in, and they've done a ton to reduce the horrible wrecks that would happen. Roundabouts are good.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

lmao

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

roundabouts sharply reduce the number of accident and level of congestion. why don’t we build more roundabouts? why be stuck at a red light when you could be gliding around a circle like a swan in a lake? what’s stopping us from progress

real good in Europe, because they have been using then for years. And knows what to do. Real bad in America, because no one knows what the gently caress to do, because they have not been using them for years

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The US could just steal the roundabout chapter of the roading manual wholesale from any halfway developed country but half the states seem to need to develop their own which is why all the worst ones have dumb poo poo you don't see anywhere else.

Big Beef City posted:

This is a good example. A sane country would turn them into two larger roundabouts with 6 exits each.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jaguars! posted:

The US could just steal the roundabout chapter of the roading manual wholesale from any halfway developed country but half the states seem to need to develop their own which is why all the worst ones have dumb poo poo you don't see anywhere else.

This is a good example. A sane country would turn them into two larger roundabouts with 6 exits each.

said like a person who has never seen the Oxford Circle.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jaguars! posted:

why the gently caress does your hiway need two exits and entrances?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

roundabouts are good but they're going to be a perpetual issue in 'murrika where the drivers license requirements are lax enough to boil down to "has a pulse" and "is sober enough to apply for a license at the time they are doing so"

it's rare for me to be running errands and not see multiple people doing brain donor poo poo like slowing down to 10mph for a wide right turn from one 45mph street to another, running stop signs and red lights, or completely ignoring that the light has changed to green until someone honks at them. cars are literally metal boxes moving at lethal speeds due to the power of loving explosions and people just drive them half asleep while watching netflix on their phones or some poo poo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
As an American but also a pretty good driver, I can say that simple roundabouts are totally fine but when you start adding multiple lanes within the roundabout it gets real hairy because you have 10 cars in the roundabout and only 2 of them know what they’re doing. I feel like we’d need some sort of national training to make them more mainstream but lol.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

As an American but also a pretty good driver, I can say that simple roundabouts are totally fine but when you start adding multiple lanes within the roundabout it gets real hairy because you have 10 cars in the roundabout and only 2 of them know what they’re doing. I feel like we’d need some sort of national training to make them more mainstream but lol.

Oxford circle is confusing and sucks!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Oxford circle is confusing and sucks!

who gives a gently caress about an oxford circle
i've played that board game qwirkle too, it's cool

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

roundabouts are good but they're going to be a perpetual issue in 'murrika where the drivers license requirements are lax enough to boil down to "has a pulse" and "is sober enough to apply for a license at the time they are doing so"

it's rare for me to be running errands and not see multiple people doing brain donor poo poo like slowing down to 10mph for a wide right turn from one 45mph street to another, running stop signs and red lights, or completely ignoring that the light has changed to green until someone honks at them. cars are literally metal boxes moving at lethal speeds due to the power of loving explosions and people just drive them half asleep while watching netflix on their phones or some poo poo

Other countries noted for requiring a four year degree and two year long guided internship for getting a driver's license.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I'm just a roundabout and i don't work for nobody but u. great song yes rules

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
There's a roundabout in my neighborhood that I will go out of my way to drive on because it makes left turns fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Roundabout. Yes